“Sweet Tooth's Heaven!”

Astoria Pastry Shop
Ranked #1 of 4 Bakeries in Royal Oak
Reviewed March 9, 2013

Mostly sweets and ice cream, no real bread or rolls, etc. But, want cheese cake, brownies, baklava, cookies? This is YOUR place!

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Lately we’ve been indulging in weekend walks through downtown Royal Oak and stopping in a variety of places for cups of hot tea. Today we tried Astoria Bakery where there are a few tables near the front window—great for watching the Royal Oak street parade—and a few more tables in the rear.

Astoria’s glass cases are loaded with cupcakes, baklava variations, brownies, cakes and slices of cake, cookies, chocolate covered pretzels, mini fruit tarts and other creative confections. It can be tough to make a choice. Everything is available to enjoy on the premises or as a carry out. Astoria is well stocked with candles and cards for the last minute birthday cake purchase as well.

We tried a slice of Black Forest cake. It was light with quite a bit of frosting but tasty because it wasn’t overly sweet. Astoria offered a variety of maybe 15 different teas. Coffee is also available. On a Sunday, Astoria was doing a brisk business but we were able to grab a table. This is a great place to stop if you happen to be strolling downtown Royal Oak.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

When I walked in my eyes lit up and my expectations went through the roof that I found a really good pastry shop in Michigan. It was not to be.
I have to admit the looks of the goodies fooled me
All the Italian look alike pastry that I tried left me longing for little Italy in NYC.
However all the Greek parties were out of the world good!
It hit me at that point that's why it's called Astoria Pastry, of course Astoria Queens in NY....a Greek community.
So if you want very plain Italian pastries have at it, if you want truly great Greek pastries that's their specialty you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed January 14, 2013

Everything I've tried, and I've tried many items... they are all very good. If you would like to bring home something impressive, and tasty, this is the place to find it.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We stopped in on a whim while in Royal Oak. They had so many treats and they all looked amazing. My husband tried a cannoli and a macaroon, both of which he thought were delicious, and our child loved his mint chip ice cream, but that's where the love affair ended. The tiramisu was made of cake instead of ladyfingers, the filling may as well have just been frosting, and there was only the merest hint of coffee. My husband was disappointed in their big chocolate chip cookie; he felt it was bland. Last was the rum ball - it was bigger than a golf ball and looked oh-so-good in the display case and I just had to have one. Unfortunately, it was flavorless and somewhat dry, with no rum to speak of whatsoever. I expected a lot better considering the reviews. Too bad.