“Good atmosphere, bland food”
Review of Bastone

Bastone
Ranked #9 of 205 Restaurants in Royal Oak
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Fifth
Reviewed December 10, 2012

We went here for a friend's birthday on a Friday night. The waitress was friendly and we were seated at our table immediately. Service was a little slow, but we didn't mind since we were celebrating. We told the waitress we were celebrating a birthday and she brought out a free dessert at the end. I ordered the mac'n'cheese with lobster. I was so disappointed with it, especially for the price! I would happily pay $18 for a good meal but this was very bland and the lobster was actually really gross. It was not fresh and was really overcooked. I am cringing just remembering it. I am not a picky eater at all, so it has to be pretty bad for me to critique like this. I did try the pomme frites with basil and garlic mayo that was very good. If you eat here, I recommend sticking with the staples. The atmosphere was really nice and they had a decent beer menu, they just need to work on their food. I would possibly go again and try something without seafood?

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Great housemade beers, a nice food selection, and a comfy, European-style atmosphere. Great place for a date.

Reviewed December 3, 2012

Having been to Bastone with good results on two other occasions, I thought it would be a good place for pre holiday festivities. I organized a dinner and reserved a table for nine a week in advance. The table provided was in a very desireable spot at the window.

Sadly the hostesses put a round table up to a rectangular table that were both at different heights. I sat at the location where they met and had nowhere to comfortably rest my arms and hands. It was not convenient to eat there either. My back was to my wife so I had to turn to talk with that half of the table. Compound that with the fact that the posts holding the loft up were in the middle of our group, and we might as well have been sitting at two different tables.
At the outset, I mentioned this as a problem to the hostess, her solution was to scoot the tables over.

I raved about the Leuven Waffle to everyone. Although I called it chicken and waffles. Each time I had it there previously it was indulgent. Taking my reccomendation, a freind ordered it as well. The two pieces of chicken were of nugget proportions. Seriously little three bite hunks of thin breaded nugget with a splash of white wine sauce on a giant waffle. I only needed a quarter of my waffle in proportion to the chicken I received. Dissapointing to say the least.

In contrast, the service was good and everyone seemed to enjoy their food and drinks.
I will dine at Bastone again but with the hope of an improvement from this visit.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I had recommendation to visit this restaurant and did so for lunch. I was impressed with the ambiance and space of the eating and bar area. Thought we only had lunch, the food was good and service was on par. Menu is quite impressive and just enough creativity of selections to really make you think. I will most definitely check out the dinner service and then consider them for a group event in January. Passed the first test...will keep you posted on the next round.

Reviewed November 21, 2012

Waiter was really attentive to us, food was really good-especially the calamari! Downstairs is a little loud, but then again, we are all in our late 30's now, so the boom boom music gets old. Still a good place to hang out.