“Worst of the Worst”

Good for: Families with children
Detroit, Michigan
“Worst of the Worst”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I used to go to "little tree sushi" (lower case intentional to indicate low quality restaurant) at it's old location
on Washington & 4th, I believe. It was fairly good with consistent food. My wife bought me a $50.00 gift
certificate which I misplaced. I went to the new location and talked to the manager who made it clear
that there was nothing he could do to help with the lost gift certificate problem. "Not my fault, not my
problem" were his words.
I went back several months later with a sushi-loving friend who was paying for the meal. From
the minute we sat at the sushi counter, I knew that there was going to be problems. The sushi "chef"
had a very angry face and unfriendly demeanor when asking for and presenting our orders. The sushi was
definitely not fresh and some it smelled so bad that I wouldn't eat it. The manager stated that "that's
the way raw fish smells sometimes". We didn't pay for what we didn't eat and left.
Noble Fish in Clawson has been my most favorite sushi hang-out for years. It has the friendliest service,
the freshest seafood, and the best price around. It's only drawback, to me, is that it's so small, and
many times it's hard to get a seat.

The 'other' sushi place (little tree sushi) has been at it's location on Main for years and I've NEVER
heard anyone who said that they liked it or would go back. Sushi lover's BEWARE !!

• Visited October 2011
1 Thank m h

Royal Oak, Michigan
“Happy first sushi experience!”
Reviewed August 3, 2012

We had never ordered sushi before going to Little Tree and found the diverse menu, offering dishes from Japan, the Philippines and Thailand, plus a sushi sub-menu a bit intimidating. Our friendly waitress was nice enough to offer her suggestions.

We started out with a small and simple mixed salad of greens and tomatoes with a delicious Japanese ginger dressing on the side. Then we thoroughly enjoyed Shumai, a Japanese dish of steamed wasabi pork dumplings in udon broth.

We followed this with a Japanese appetizer of lettuce wraps; a small stir fry of chicken and vegetables, cooked in hoisin sauce, that could be wrapped in sizeable romaine leaves with ample portions for both of us.

Being a bit squeamish about trying raw fish, we went for a cooked sushi selection. Again our waitress was happy to point out which selections did not feature raw fish. Our sushi was a medley of Hawaiian fish served with small sides of wasabi and slivered ginger. Our waitress suggested that we combine a bit of ginger, mix in a little wasabi and then some soy sauce in the small dishes she brought us. Our sushi came as a serving of 6 portions that we could share. We followed the lead of nearby diners who popped the entire portions in their mouths without cutting them in half. The rolls somewhat fell apart if you tried to cut them in half. My husband accidentally scooped up the bulk of the wasabi in a surprising but not overly hot mouthful. Our waitress related how some regular diners come in to order sushi ala wasabi roulette, where a healthy amount of wasabi is concealed in one sushi portion at their request.

We enjoyed our meal with a nice bottle of Penrod’s Shiraz and found the entire experience stimulating and enlightening. I loved the lingering flavors of the ginger dressing and seasoned udon broth. Dinner for two without tip but including the bottle of wine came to about 50.00.

I would try raw sushi on another visit because I can see it is not some hunk of raw fish slapped on my plate, as I imagined it would be. It seems that raw sushi might be slivers of raw tuna tucked in among vegetables and surrounded by sticky rice.

Service is great. The ambiance is pleasant although the noise level is surprisingly high to the extent that you almost need to shout at your fellow diner to be heard and yet, the clamor is just from the fellow guests and I’m not insinuating they were a boisterous crowd. It must be that sound echoes from the bare high wood ceiling. Perhaps some colorful banners or drapery might improve the acoustics or muffle the din.

• Visited August 2012
“Expensive food poisoning”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

My family and I decided to try this restaurant last night. Not only did 2 of us get sick afterwards, but we also had to pay for the privilege. I ordered two plain sushi rolls and my cousin who got sick ordered a prepared Thai dish. The other 3 people I was with did not like their meals, especially the sauce that their food was cooked in. Their sushi is very expensive.

4 Thank sxeskagirl
“Great place, glad for the recommendations”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Overall was great. Had to wait a bit to place our order but great service. Loved the pad Thai however the noodles seemed kind of soggy or overloaded with sauce. My friends order was completely messed up but they quickly fixed it. I would go back again and give them another shot though. loved the environment .

Detroit Metro Area
“Good Food”
Reviewed May 29, 2012

A little noisy and busy, but a lot of fun. Good food choices, including japanese, thai, phillipines and sushi.

Visited May 2012