Open today: 10:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Jeffrey D
Detroit, Michigan, United States
via mobile

1,207 results
All reviews penguin exhibit polar bear reptile house arctic ring of life underwater tunnel wild lights butterfly garden arctic circle conservation center train ride annual pass once a year animals seals amphibians membership polk
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Admission into the Detroit Zoo was $18 per adult, $13 for our toddler, and our infant was free! We paid an additional $5 for our toddler to feed a giraffe, $5 each for a Thomas the Train 4-D show, and $3 each for my husband and I to ride the train (our toddler was still free because he wasn’t quite 36 inches).

The Detroit Zoo was situated on 125 acres of naturalistic exhibits, and the first zoo in the United States to extensively use exhibits without bars. The zoo first opened in 1928. It is the home to more than 2,000 animals and more than 245 species of animals. The main exhibit I wanted to see was the Arctic Ring of Life and its 70-foot long tunnel that passes under swimming polar bears. We didn't see polar bears swimming, but it was still really neat.

Our toddler had a blast feeding the giraffe. At first he was a little reluctant, but then loved it, and was sad he only had two leaves to feed him.

After feeding the giraffe, we saw grizzly bears, a pacing polar bear, seals swimming all around us as we walked through a tunnel in the Arctic exhibit, a silverback gorilla, anteaters, rhinos, penguins, and penguins diving in the Antarctic exhibit. We took the train from the back of the zoo to the front of the zoo. Riding the train was one of my son's favorite parts. He rode the tree for free since he was shorter than 36 inches.

Our son's absolute favorite part of our zoo trip was the Thomas the Train 4D show. He didn’t know Thomas the Train was on tv. We had only read him books and given him toy trains. We knew it would blow his mind and were waiting for a special occasion to show him. Watching Thomas in 4D on the big screen at the Detroit Zoo was our special occasion. Seeing Thomas on the big screen blew his mind. Bubbles fell down from the ceiling and covered the entire room. There were other little special effects too. He was so happy during the show.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

we enjoyed our visit to the Detroit Zoo. Quite a bit of walking but we knew that. Plenty places to rest. Tiger and red panda exhibit under construction. Penquins and Grizzly bears a delight. Australian interesting walking amongst kangaroos. Guides there very friendly and informative.They had reptilian house as well!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We visited the first weekend of October. The weather was cool and we had a bit of rain, but most of the animals were out. I think we only missed the Grizzly bears and the wolves (they were hiding). The animal habitats are large and spacious, which is wonderful for the animals. The zoo itself was clean and lovely. The Australian Outback Adventure was neat - you walk on a path through the habitat and the kangaroo and wallaby are free to roam where they please. Also excellent was the Arctic Ring of Life exhibit - there is an excellent underwater viewing area for the seals and polar bear (the polar bear was actually outside when we visited, but we did get to see the seals swimming underwater and it was fantastic). The giraffe encounter is also great.

Unfortunately the train was not operational on our visit, but our toddler rode the carousel and she thought that was awesome. We had lunch at Buddy's Pizza, which was fantastic. Everyone in our group raved about it. The other fun thing about visiting in October was seeing all of the Halloween decorations. The Detroit Zoo had wonderful, elaborate pumpkin displays (pumpkins were decorated to look like Sesame Street, Toy Story, etc.).

All in all, it was a fantastic visit and we will definitely go back the next time we visit Detroit.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I like it a lot the zoo but the best of all is to watch Polar Bear that is not normal in must of the museums in the world. It's a very good place for families to stay the entire day.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I went to the zoo on Sunday with my family and I check the website to see when they closed and it said 4. We got there and it had a sign that said they closed at 2. I called costumer service and they had no sympathy that it was not showing up on their website staying it will close early. I will not be coming back to this zoo ever again I will stick with the one in Birch Run and Lansing. Worse costumer service ever, they could have given me and my family free tickets to come back on a later date were we would have probably spent at lease $30 on food but now they are not ever getting a penny from me!

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

We have always enjoyed coming to the Detroit Zoo.

Lots to see and do. Some if the staff is not so well trained but the overall experience is still a quality time.

Reviewed October 3, 2018

What a great experience! Fall is the best time to visit the Detroit Zoo. They are decorating for Halloween and the grounds are stunning with their flowers still in bloom.

The Polk Conservatory (their penguin house) the best I have ever seen. The zoo has ample parking, easy to get to from the freeway. Food choices are plentiful.

If you are in the Detroit Area....a trip to Royal Oak is a MUST DO.

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

I recently visited the Detroit Zoo for a corporate family outing. We were able to explore the zoo with our families for the day and then have a great catered lunch with our co-workers. The zoo is always a treat. The penguin exhibit is awesome! What a great day with family!

Reviewed October 2, 2018 via mobile

Maybe during different times of the year, it's good to come here but personally, I did not enjoy it. The Polar Bear exhibit, there were none people were wandering aimlessly around, trying to figure out where we were supposed to go, and the only thing we saw was some kind of Arctic fox, that look like it was having heat stroke. A lot of the animals that were supposed to be out, weren't, like the Lions, the Tigers, the Bears. I just feel like they make a big deal, out of the attractions that come and go but what I really wanted to see was the animals. So personally, I would not go here, unless you call to make sure what animals are actually out, and what things are actually going on. I will say by far the best exhibit, was the Penguins I was extremely impressed with the penguin exhibit.

Reviewed October 2, 2018

The Detroit Zoo is always updating its exhibits and habitats, and it never disappoints. Compared with other zoos, a lot of the attractions are spread out - especially near the front of the zoo. However, once you get past the fountain, things become closer together. It is easily an all day trip.