“A Zoo With A View Both Ways ...... No Bars!”
Review of Detroit Zoo

Detroit Zoo
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Royal Oak
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Detroit Zoo has 125 acres of naturalistic habitats for 2,400 animals from aardvarks to zebras and features award-winning attractions such as the National Amphibian Conservation Center, Great Apes of Harambee and Arctic Ring of Life. The Zoo's newest attraction is the spectacular Polk Penguin Conservation Center, the largest facility for penguins in the world.
Kitchener, Canada
84 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 123 helpful votes
“A Zoo With A View Both Ways ...... No Bars!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

I loved the open aspect of the zoo, it made taking pictures more fun. More enjoyable! The staff were exceptional too, it is very easy to get turned around and you don't want to miss a thing. This zoo is definitely worth a visit! I especially loved the underwater viewing area in the Arctic trail, I could have sat there and watched the seals forever! Don't miss visiting this zoo, it will be an experience of a lifetime!

• Czech first
  • Korean first
Royal Oak, Michigan
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Makes you feel like a kid again.”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I have been going to the zoo since I was a little boy. I am now 64 and I still love coming to the zoo. Now I bring the grand kids. My son bought us Grand parents a yearly pass and along with the kids yearly family pass we take the Grand Children a couple times a month. The zoo has come such a long way in the past several years with the updates and upgrades. They are doing a wonderful job and offer adult functions after hours. It is now neat and clean and a fun safe place to take the little kids. We break our visits into different areas each time so we and spread the experience out during the summer. Reptile house and butterfly house one time and them Polar Bears the next. Only thing I am disappointed with is the price of the refreshments. If you are on a budget you may want to consider bringing your own and a picnic besides. There are plenty of clean picnic tables in shaded areas throughout the park. Don't bring a little kids stroller if you want to take the train as they will not load it.

Burlington, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Detroit Zoo”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The setting is lovely, and the exhibits are easy to locate. The admission and parking cost is good value, and the Zoo itself is easy to find right off the highway. The polar bear exhibit was disappointing, as we couldn't see any bears! The underwater tunnel below the exhibit is actually much smaller than it looks on their website, and since it was crowded with strollers and young families, we didn't linger very long. We fed the Giraffes, which was cool, but probably not worth the cost, given that you spent less than 2 minutes on the platform, and only got to feed them 2 leaves. The primate exhibit was not the best I've seen - it was difficult to actually see any of the chimps as they sit close to the building, which is out of the sightline from the windows inside the building. We loved the Lions - could get very close to them, and have lots of great pictures. It was good to visit, and I would recommend it to others, but we would not go out of our way to visit again.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“It was ok.”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Paying for my ticket the lady at the desk says "is he under 2" i said SHE is under 2. She didn't even apologize for calling my daughter a boy if she wasnt behind that glass i would've slapped her. All she did was look at me crazy. The Detroit zoo was ok it was nothing like the Toledo zoo. Some of animals were hiding. And I didn't enjoy myself at all nor did my daughter. I will never go bk there again...especially cause of that rude employee.

2 Thank Tya83
Bohemia, New York
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great zoo”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

Went to the Detroit Zoo as a child and this summer brought my kids here. Zoo was clean with no "stinky" areas that are sometimes common at zoos and animal parks. Admission was reasonable, food was standard park fare (overpriced for what you get but edible), we did not partake in the "extras" package for the 4D movie and rides so I can not speak to these attractions and parking was only $5. Loved the Polar Bear exhibit. We got some amazing photos that I will try to upload at a later date. If you like this type of attraction you will enjoy the Detroit Zoo. A great variety of animals and not very crowded. A lot of walking so if you have little ones bring a stroller or rent one.

Visited July 2013