“See the Polar bears!!!”

Detroit Zoo
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Royal Oak
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Detroit Zoo has 125 acres of naturalistic habitats for 2,400 animals from aardvarks to zebras and features award-winning attractions such as the National Amphibian Conservation Center, Great Apes of Harambee and Arctic Ring of Life. The Zoo's newest attraction is the spectacular Polk Penguin Conservation Center, the largest facility for penguins in the world.
Hanover, Pennsylvania
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“See the Polar bears!!!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

If you only see one thing at the zoo. Make it the polar bears. You can watch them play from an underwater viewing area in this long clear tube. They swim and play inches from you. It was the most amazing thing i have seen. i was more mesmerized than the children. it was like being in a NatGeo special. Words cannot fully describe the experience. Everyone should see this amazing interaction with a very beautiful and amazing creature. Oh yeah, the rest of the zoo was nice too!!

Visited May 2012

• Czech first
  • Korean first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Great Winter Walk at the Zoo”
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We have been members at the Zoo for many years and we try to visit in every season. On March 1st, 2013 we arrived at the zoo to find many animals out and inside for viewing. The zoo volunteers we helpful, well informed and happy to greet us as we entered each building or outside area. The continous improvements at the zoo amaze us on every visit. The information that the volunteers provided about the animals are informational and accurate. It was nice to hear about the lion that was donated from the Palace and then when we arrived home that day in the mail was our Zoo Magazine so we were able to read the entire story about the addition of the lion from the palace to the zoo.
A great way to take a walk winter, summer, spring or fall!

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Laurie V
Geneva, Switzerland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Great variety of animals”
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have been to the Zoo at various ages and I never get tired of it. There is a nice variety of animals to see. Interesting for adults & children!

Novi
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Not that great”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

I had always only visited the Detroit Zoo, because it was the closest. However, after going to the Toledo zoo, which is only 25 minutes farther, I'll only go back to the Detroit Zoo as a last resort. The Toledo zoo is much better.

Visited August 2012
41 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great time of the year to visit the zoo”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Headed to the zoo on a 35 degree day, no wind and sunny. I was hoping the animals would have alittle more spunk than on a hot summer's day and I was not disappointed. Granted not alot of the animals were out but I did enjoy the monkey's, red panda bears, tiger, polar bears and the zebra's. I am sure there were others but I had certain animals on my agenda. Walk-ways were clear of any snow or ice which was great. Mission accomplished!

Visited February 2013