“It's all happening at the Zoo”
Review of Detroit Zoo

Detroit Zoo
Ranked #1 of 25 things to do in Royal Oak
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Detroit Zoo has 125 acres of naturalistic habitats for more than 2,000 animals from anteaters to zebras and features award-winning attractions such as the National Amphibian Conservation Center, Great Apes of Harambee and Arctic Ring of Life. The Zoo’s newest attraction is the spectacular Polk Penguin Conservation Center, the largest facility for penguins in the world.
Reviewed November 1, 2011

This is the country's first cageless zoo. There are no bars separating you from your view of the lions, giraffes and great apes. In summer, the animals are not as active -- head over to the Penguin House or the Arctic Ring of Life to see penguins and bears keeping their cool. In the Arctic Ring of Life, you can walk through a tube that allows the animals to swim directly over your head. The curator is credited for removing the elephants to a warmer climate -- so you can rest assured that this is ONE zoo in America that puts the welfare and comfort of its animals first -- before gate revenue. Perhaps it has fewer animals than other zoos (unless you count all the amphibians, reptiles and prairie dogs), but still an enjoyable afternoon. There's a train that generations of Detroiters have ridden, recently upgraded and refurbished to its past glory. It will take you from the front of the park to the back, or from the back to the front. Its extra fee is worth budgeting for, the park is quite large and the little ones (either your kids or your feet) will get tired from the walking. Winter in the park is wonderful -- bundle up and go from building to building and take in the sights along the way. If you get really cold, head over to the butterfly house or the aviary. There are picnic areas and a playscape, if the weather is nice, too. Haven't ridden the new antique carousel, but its beautiful. My favorite place for photos is in front of the amazing fountain at the center of the park.

2  Thank Christine V
Write a ReviewReviews (1,153)
All reviews
in 25 reviews
"seals"
in 41 reviews

Reviewed November 1, 2011

I took my son to Detroit Annual "Zoo Boo" this year to kick of his Halloween fun. I can honestly say not only did he enjoy it, but so did I. The decorations were really lovely. I loved how organized it was.He also loved the Carousel and so did I. I was surprise at how beautiful it was and how much the Zoo Boo had changed since I was a child. I will more than likely return every year to the Zoo Boo because it was a blast, and I can't wait to visit the zoo during it's regular season.

4  Thank cosmicgrlladisi
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I hadnt been to the Detroit zoo in about ten years and my youngest child kept asking me when can we go? We finally made a trip in August to visit family that was visiting from Florida and had a wonderful day at this nice zoo!

1  Thank saralove2us
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Visited the detroit zoo with our daughter and her children. I was pleasantly surprised to see a special dinasours attraction.....very family orientated. Our 3yr old grandson loved it. The polar bear exhibit takes you under the water in a tunnel where you can watch the polar bears swim over your head. The tiger display offers great views through the plexiglass barrier. And the prairie dog display allows younng children to go underground and pop up right next to the prairie dogs. And, there is a nice train ride that runs around the park. Definitely worth going.

1  Thank lofty2011
See more reviews
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We visited the Detroit Zoo while in the area visiting family. We were a little underwhelmed with the zoo. The exhibits were average. We missed out on a lot of the big ticket attractions...the lions' exhibit was being remodeled so no lions. The meerkats exhibit was closed. The hippo was no where to be seen. The best part was the Dinosauria attration featured at the zoo for the summer. My 4 year old dino expert was in awe of the moving and very realistic dinos. Pack food and drinks...buying snacks, drinks and food will cost your first born!