“Great time!”

Detroit Zoo
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Royal Oak
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: The Detroit Zoo has 125 acres of naturalistic habitats for 2,400 animals from aardvarks to zebras and features award-winning attractions such as the National Amphibian Conservation Center, Great Apes of Harambee and Arctic Ring of Life. The Zoo's newest attraction is the spectacular Polk Penguin Conservation Center, the largest facility for penguins in the world.
Midland, Michigan
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Great time!”
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I hadnt been to the Detroit zoo in about ten years and my youngest child kept asking me when can we go? We finally made a trip in August to visit family that was visiting from Florida and had a wonderful day at this nice zoo!

Visited August 2011
1 Thank saralove2us

• Czech first
  • Korean first
Troy, Michigan
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Detroit zoo offers many great animal displays for young children”
Reviewed October 13, 2011

Visited the detroit zoo with our daughter and her children. I was pleasantly surprised to see a special dinasours attraction.....very family orientated. Our 3yr old grandson loved it. The polar bear exhibit takes you under the water in a tunnel where you can watch the polar bears swim over your head. The tiger display offers great views through the plexiglass barrier. And the prairie dog display allows younng children to go underground and pop up right next to the prairie dogs. And, there is a nice train ride that runs around the park. Definitely worth going.

Visited July 2011
1 Thank lofty2011
Northern Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Average...nothing really spectacular”
Reviewed September 27, 2011

We visited the Detroit Zoo while in the area visiting family. We were a little underwhelmed with the zoo. The exhibits were average. We missed out on a lot of the big ticket attractions...the lions' exhibit was being remodeled so no lions. The meerkats exhibit was closed. The hippo was no where to be seen. The best part was the Dinosauria attration featured at the zoo for the summer. My 4 year old dino expert was in awe of the moving and very realistic dinos. Pack food and drinks...buying snacks, drinks and food will cost your first born!

Visited July 2011
Ann Arbor, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Pleasantly Surprised at the Caliber of the Exhibits at the Detroit Zoo.”
Reviewed September 7, 2011

My husband, my 13 year old and her best friend and I totally enjoyed ourselves at the Detroit Zoo this August. I hadn't been to our Detroit Zoo in decades, and was very impressed with the great habitats created for the species of animals found in those environments, especially the Artic Ring of Life that houses Polar Bears, Arctic Foxes, Seals, and those creatures. A giant clear tunnel cuts through the water for visitors to be underwater with the animals - it was great! We also loved the Tigers in the Asian exhibit, and of course the Giraffes on the African Grasslands. The Snow Monkeys are not to be missed either!
A super way to spend the day, minus the huge crowds of other zoos I've visited with my daughter over the years. We've lived in Michigan all our lives, but often forget the great attractions we have in our backyards. Don't worry about the "Detroit" stigma, its safe and clean at the Detroit Zoo, (which is really in Royal Oak).

Visited August 2011
1 Thank SiouxieDee
uk
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“It's big!”
Reviewed September 6, 2011

Lots of space to meander about and well signed. Animals all in great condition in large open spaces. Dinosaur exhibit very impressive.
Arrive after all the school parties have gone (2.30 ish)

Visited May 2011