Went for a 2 night getaway the last weekend of summer vacation. Had spent a week here 4 years ago. Not much has changed but we still like the "rustic" country feel. Stayed in the Back Forty Cabins. This weekend we travelled with our 10 year old son and brought our 2 nephews and niece to join us.
Pretty much a dusty, dirty place but you don't have to worry about how you dress and the kids always enjoy being dirty.
Only complaint on Friday night when we arrived we purchased tickets for the campire, singing and smores. There was a threatening storm on the way so the whole event was cancelled. It never did rain until hours later so we were sorry the event was cancelled. The kids had fun Saturday morning. The two older boys went on a trail ride with my husband while I walked around the town square with the 2 little ones - checked out the petting zoo, put the kids on pony rides and then we met my husband and boys at the archery range and then the rifle range. For city kids, this place can't be beat! The afternoon got quickly hot so we headed to the outdoor pool. Water was ICE COLD - clearly not heated - but the kids had a blast on the water slide. The pool is very old and in need of repair but it was fine for the afternoon.
That evening we purchased tickets (in advance) for the pig roast, hayride and rodeo. The food was excellent and served indoor due to the heat. The BBQ pulled pork was fabulous, there were hot dogs, cole slaw, corn, potatoes - plenty to choose from and some cobbler for dessert. Drinks were also available and plenty. The guys carving the pig were real nice and we asked to take a photo with the pigs head so they put it on a platter for the kids to hold - sounds sick but it was fun.
The hayride filled up quickly and we heard the rodeo would be REALLY MUDDY from the prior night's rain. We had been there before and knew the kids were allowed into the main corral to chase the baby cows so we were aware they would be muddy. What fun for city kids to run around chasing baby cows and our son was one of the lucky ones to get the ribbon off the tail of a cow! They were muddy up to their knees but I figured it was a once in a lifetime chance. Rodeo was great and well planned. Stayed until it ended and would DEFINITELY recommend NOT PASSING on this evening!
I will comment on the sled dogs though as others have - very sad to see those dogs chained by the neck and pacing back and forth in the hot sun. You can take the dogs for a walk if you like but being a dog owner/lover it was sad to me. My son even was upset with the dogs.
I think the new owners need to put a little money into restoration but it's a great place for families. If you're looking for a Marriott - stay in a Marriott. If you're looking for great country charm - this is the place!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Double JJ Resort is one of Michigan's best kept secrets! Come explore miles of scenic trails on horseback, perfect for riders of any skill level and age. Experience the thrill of our Gold Rush Indoor Waterpark, housing Michigan's tallest indoor waterslide, a wave pool, and plenty of play areas. Camping is no longer a thing of the past here at the Double JJ! You can gather around a campfire with your family and friends and tell stories of the past or tales to please everyone. Don't forget to bring your golf clubs and play on our world championship Thoroughbred Golf Club course, where the lush greens meet the fresh water. Rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest, the Thoroughbred's stunning, wooded layout offers enough challenge to keep you coming back time & time again. The Double JJ has the perfect mix of activities to entertain anyone who visits. Escape from your everyday life into the laid-back lifestyle of the Double JJ Resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire and Orbitz so you can book your Double JJ Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Double Jj Ranch And Golf Resort
- Double Jj Ranch & Golf Hotel Rothbury
- Double Jj Hotel
- Double Jj Rothbury
- Double JJ Resort Michigan/Rothbury