Double JJ Resort
$159
$154
Rodeway Inn(Whitehall)
$90
Comfort Inn Whitehall(Whitehall)(Great Value!)
$130
$150
$149
Sierra Sands Family Lodge(Mears)(Great Value!)
$110
Dunes Waterfront Resort(Mears)(Great Value!)
$120
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewshorseback ridinggolf coursefull kitchenice creama lot of funmaster bedroomwhirlpool tubsome tlckids rangingincluded breakfastthoroughbred suitesoff seasonindoor waterparkqueen bedpig roastfamily vacationlabor day weekend
Reviewed September 7, 2009

My wife and 3 year old daughter and myself spent 2 nights and 3 days in a family cabin. The cabin was very clean bathroom was spotless. Our cabin had a small fridge but plenty of room for everything we brought. It also came with a two burner stove and pot, pans, dishes and silverware. Cabin has A/C and a big jacuzzi tub in bedroom. My daughter slept on the sofa bed and I laid on it and it was very comfortable for a sofa bed, no bar in your back. The employees are all wonderful and there is so much to do that you are busy from 9 am till 11 pm. We rode the stagecoach, the hayride and ate at the pig roast and went to the rodeo. The pig roast had some of the best food I ever ate. Also, even though the back forty cabins are 2 miles from the main lobby there are shuttles running back and forth all the time. They picked us up from our cabin and brought us to the indoor waterpark and back again. The back forty at night is breath taking to see. The craftbarn was great for my daughter. A worker took the time to fix a craft that an upset mom could not do and walked out. He fixed her mistake and spent at least a hour redoing it for her. Tell me where you'll get that service. I did not play golf or ride a horse and still had 3 full days. I will go back as often as we can!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank dav615
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Just returned from the Double JJ Ranch and Golf Resort (and Indoor Water Park). It is under new management and, while I'm not familiar with the old management, everything seemed to be running very smoothly. Check-in was smooth but a bit confusing as we were staying in a Back Forty Cabin and Check-in was at the Frontier section - a sign on the entrance to the Back Forty indicating check-in location would have been nice considering it was 2 miles away!
The cabins were very quaint and in need of a bit of a make-over (considering they have been vacant for a year while new management was coming in they were "OK".
If you keep in mind that you are in a cabin in the woods you won't mind the musty smell, cobwebs and dark water stains on the walls (a family member thought it to be mold). If you have a high level of sanitary expectations the Back Forty Cabins may not be for you (our ceiling fan had a good layer of "gunk" on it). Main bed was good but the kids (aged 6 and 9) found the loft beds on the uncomfortable side and decided to sleep on the pull out which I found to be very uncomfortable.
NONE of the doors in our cabin (#10) closed well and we were constantly yanking on them to get them to move (open or close). That been said, the maid service was prompt and friendly - actually all staff we encountered were very friendly and hospitable (especially the life guards at the frontier water park and Back Forty water park (Ben was great!)
There wasn't a great deal of people at the resort so we had both water parks mostly to ourselves. This will change soon I'm sure as there is great potential here.
We went horse back riding and the wranglers were again very friendly and hospitable and everyone had a great time!
Some of us went golfing and found the Thoroughbred Course to be in great shape and a formidable challenge.
The surrounding area offers Silver Lake and Sand Dunes (lots of fun with sand and water!) and Michigan's Adventure Amusement/Water Park (lots of fun here too!)
I would recommend this resort to a friend with reservations - perhaps the hotel or log homes would be a better choice - the family cabins currently need some sprucing up.
Food at Rustlers Roost was very good (simple fare) and enjoyed by all.
Staff everywhere were awesome! We are already planning a return visit!

3  Thank Andrew S
Reviewed August 17, 2009

I found this resort when I was looking for a quick getaway at a hotel along Lake Michigan and everything was booked. At $135 the room was priced right. I was told that our room came with free rodeo tickets and there was an outside pool with a slide and 0 depth kids area. I was sold! When we arrived we really weren't sure what we got ourselves into - being from the suburbs we were out of our element. This is in a rustic rural location no doubt. However, when we arrived at the area near our suites it soon changed. The waterpark is amazing! There are two large water slides, a wave pool, 0 depth play paradise for little ones, canons shooting water and a water fort for a little older ones. There were two full service restaurants and a to go area as well as a store all within walking distance of our room. This water park is right on par with Great Wolf and blows away Frankenmuth! There is an exta charge - it's expensive - ask for a deal! Upon checking in and throughout our stay Patty Jo and Brittany went out of their way to make us feel welcome and make sure our stay was not less than perfect. The hospitality went above and beyond any hotels or resorts I have stayed at in the past. They were genuine and caring. Our cleaning lady, Jessica, held elevators for us, asked us if there was anything else we needed, welcomed our returned and gave full in depth information on the cabins for rent on the property. Our room in the thoroughbred suites, the Calimity Jane lock off, was equivalent to a hotel suite, although it had a large shower with awesome massage instead of a tub. It had a refrigerator, microwave, plasma tv, queen bed and futon. It appeared to be all brand new. We also had a locked parking garage which led to our suites. We were able to dine at both of the sit down restaurants and were treated with 5 star service. However, there is no liquor license yet, so no wine or beer. The resort just reopened under new management recently. There is golf and a lot of people seemed to be enjoying it! There is also horse back riding available. There are some areas that they are still working on and the pools could use some paint here and there. The back forty has the swimming hole, water slide and 0 depth kids area - this area is more than enough to keep kids busy but it rained during our trip so we were thankful that the water park was available. In the back forty area, which also has the cabins and camping, but is away from the suites and lofts, there is a smell of animal because this is where the animals are kept, its really not that bad though. The stores in this area resemble a western town - very cool! We loved the ice cream shop with the saddle stools and my kids loved Jamie - she was very hospitable and sweet! We can't wait to go back and stay in a cabin or one of those cool new log homes. We did make it to Lake Michigan - there was a beach about 10 minutes away.

2  Thank kcgrefka
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We just got back from a 3-day, 2-night stay at the Double JJ Ranch, now under new management and ownership. We had a blast! Stayed in a Family Cabin, nice and clean and with AC. We enjoyed the outdoor pool, indoor waterpark, rodeo, pig roast, hayride and s'mores, petting farm, pony rides, arts & crafts, arcade, ice cream parlor. The place is unbelievable. All that for $129 a night - and on the weekend. All staff members were super nice. The place is still getting up and running but for now, it' s well worth the trip. I'm sure if will be even better - with more dining choices (and hopefully a liquor license) - very soon!

2  Thank akulas