The Double JJ advertises itself as a resort, but I think that is misleading. It has the potential to be a fabulous resort, but some things need fixing first.
Accommodations in the BACK FORTY:
We stayed in the Back 40 in a regular cabin with an overpriced rate. Coming from the KOA Kamping Kottages/Lodges, this was definitely an upgrade - but for the price it was upsetting. If you go to the Back 40 with the mind-set of camping and not luxury, you will be pleased. I think people are disappointed because the price suggests luxury and it is not.
We stayed in a cabin block of 6-7 cabins and they all share ONE fire pit and have about 2 picnic tables for that entire area. SOOOOO get cozy with your neighbors because there is very little privacy. We were having a family reunion and so sharing outdoor space was fine and what we wanted, but one cabin was rented to people not in our group and fire time was awkward (we invited them to join us, but it was just strange). The cabin has a small living area with a futon and a table, a small bathroom, a LARGE bedroom on the main floor and a loft with two beds. The cabin was plenty spacious and adults could stand fully in the loft. The mini-fridge was incredibly small and did not hold much. The bathroom is lackluster, but for camping it was p-e-r-f-e-c-t! Cleaning crews came by daily on gulf carts to clean and replenish towels.
Back 40 in general:
The Back 40 is far from the indoor water park and the registration desk - miles away and you will need to drive back and forth. There is a playground, tons of play space for kids to run around and get out energy, a petting zoo and pony rides, a general store and some food options, as well as a pool area with one water tube slide (like a real water park) and some other water play things. We LOVED this area and it was the best for kids. We liked this better than the indoor water park. There was some maintenance happening at the time, but it was fine. Bathrooms here were VERY clean and super convenient. The lifeguards here were attentive and did a great job watching and even engaging the kids. They were friendly and this place made it almost worth the overpriced cabins.
There are tons of things for families with kids. The problem is that they are poorly organized, not advertised well, and not communicated to the staff. More than one time we would show up for something that was on a schedule or agenda only to find no workers present and when I would hunt down an employee I would find that the event was cancelled or you had to sign up ahead of time (but there was always confusion as to where or how to sign up and I would be passed off to another person/location who was supposed to know more). So, when I would try to sign up for something that was another huge feat. It shouldn't be so complicated and difficult to participate in an advertised activity - and staff needs to be better informed so they do not keep passing the guests problems off to another person/location. Maybe phone calls or walkies would help.
Indoor Water Park:
It was clean and NOT dirty when we were there. However, it was incredibly COLD. The water was FREEZING and it was no different than the unheated water park water in the Back 40 (except there was no sun to warm you at the indoor water park). There was not a lot for small kids under 42 inches. There was a slide closed and some other maintenance too. It was a bit too dark for my taste and the workers do not really "watch" the kids. I was right with my small daughter on the lazy river and she slipped off her tube. The water was fast (really fast for a lazy river) and a few seconds passed before I could grab her up and the guard who was RIGHT THERE did not even notice. So, watch your kids close and participate in the water stuff with them. The guards do not enforce the rules either. It's like they really just do not care and it's just a paycheck. All the staff looked unhappy. Do not expect attentiveness, friendliness, or great customer service at the indoor water park.
We made our own. We did have the included breakfast and that was slightly above average.
We missed the mark on this and it was a shame because the staff that is in charge of the horses seems to really know their stuff. I did not get things scheduled correctly and my girls were little so they needed to have a riding test first and be checked at the corral (by a trainer to see if they could manage a horse). There were always corral lessons happening and never anyone who was able to check the girls' skills. I take part of the blame for not understanding all the steps or prerequisites for small kids to participate in a trail ride. If we go back I will take care of all that on day 1.
If you can catch a good deal it is 100% worth the experience in the Back 40. Having said that, the camping and NOT luxury resort mind-set is needed to have a good time. The water park is not nearly as good as a Great Wolf Lodge. Do not go to the Double JJ if that is the experience that you are expecting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Double JJ Resort is one of Michigan's best kept secrets! Come explore miles of scenic trails on horseback, perfect for riders of any skill level and age. Experience the thrill of our Gold Rush Indoor Waterpark, housing Michigan's tallest indoor waterslide, a wave pool, and plenty of play areas. Camping is no longer a thing of the past here at the Double JJ! You can gather around a campfire with your family and friends and tell stories of the past or tales to please everyone. Don't forget to bring your golf clubs and play on our world championship Thoroughbred Golf Club course, where the lush greens meet the fresh water. Rated 4 1/2 stars by Golf Digest, the Thoroughbred's stunning, wooded layout offers enough challenge to keep you coming back time & time again. The Double JJ has the perfect mix of activities to entertain anyone who visits. Escape from your everyday life into the laid-back lifestyle of the Double JJ Resort! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Expedia and Hotwire so you can book your Double JJ Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Double Jj Ranch & Golf Hotel Rothbury
- Double Jj Ranch And Golf Resort
- Double Jj Hotel
- Double Jj Rothbury
- Double JJ Resort Michigan/Rothbury