“Good enough, but not a resort”
Review of Double JJ Resort

Double JJ Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
Reviewed April 19, 2014

The Double JJ advertises itself as a resort, but I think that is misleading. It has the potential to be a fabulous resort, but some things need fixing first.

Accommodations in the BACK FORTY:
We stayed in the Back 40 in a regular cabin with an overpriced rate. Coming from the KOA Kamping Kottages/Lodges, this was definitely an upgrade - but for the price it was upsetting. If you go to the Back 40 with the mind-set of camping and not luxury, you will be pleased. I think people are disappointed because the price suggests luxury and it is not.

We stayed in a cabin block of 6-7 cabins and they all share ONE fire pit and have about 2 picnic tables for that entire area. SOOOOO get cozy with your neighbors because there is very little privacy. We were having a family reunion and so sharing outdoor space was fine and what we wanted, but one cabin was rented to people not in our group and fire time was awkward (we invited them to join us, but it was just strange). The cabin has a small living area with a futon and a table, a small bathroom, a LARGE bedroom on the main floor and a loft with two beds. The cabin was plenty spacious and adults could stand fully in the loft. The mini-fridge was incredibly small and did not hold much. The bathroom is lackluster, but for camping it was p-e-r-f-e-c-t! Cleaning crews came by daily on gulf carts to clean and replenish towels.

Back 40 in general:
The Back 40 is far from the indoor water park and the registration desk - miles away and you will need to drive back and forth. There is a playground, tons of play space for kids to run around and get out energy, a petting zoo and pony rides, a general store and some food options, as well as a pool area with one water tube slide (like a real water park) and some other water play things. We LOVED this area and it was the best for kids. We liked this better than the indoor water park. There was some maintenance happening at the time, but it was fine. Bathrooms here were VERY clean and super convenient. The lifeguards here were attentive and did a great job watching and even engaging the kids. They were friendly and this place made it almost worth the overpriced cabins.

Activities:
There are tons of things for families with kids. The problem is that they are poorly organized, not advertised well, and not communicated to the staff. More than one time we would show up for something that was on a schedule or agenda only to find no workers present and when I would hunt down an employee I would find that the event was cancelled or you had to sign up ahead of time (but there was always confusion as to where or how to sign up and I would be passed off to another person/location who was supposed to know more). So, when I would try to sign up for something that was another huge feat. It shouldn't be so complicated and difficult to participate in an advertised activity - and staff needs to be better informed so they do not keep passing the guests problems off to another person/location. Maybe phone calls or walkies would help.

Indoor Water Park:
It was clean and NOT dirty when we were there. However, it was incredibly COLD. The water was FREEZING and it was no different than the unheated water park water in the Back 40 (except there was no sun to warm you at the indoor water park). There was not a lot for small kids under 42 inches. There was a slide closed and some other maintenance too. It was a bit too dark for my taste and the workers do not really "watch" the kids. I was right with my small daughter on the lazy river and she slipped off her tube. The water was fast (really fast for a lazy river) and a few seconds passed before I could grab her up and the guard who was RIGHT THERE did not even notice. So, watch your kids close and participate in the water stuff with them. The guards do not enforce the rules either. It's like they really just do not care and it's just a paycheck. All the staff looked unhappy. Do not expect attentiveness, friendliness, or great customer service at the indoor water park.

Food:
We made our own. We did have the included breakfast and that was slightly above average.

Horses:
We missed the mark on this and it was a shame because the staff that is in charge of the horses seems to really know their stuff. I did not get things scheduled correctly and my girls were little so they needed to have a riding test first and be checked at the corral (by a trainer to see if they could manage a horse). There were always corral lessons happening and never anyone who was able to check the girls' skills. I take part of the blame for not understanding all the steps or prerequisites for small kids to participate in a trail ride. If we go back I will take care of all that on day 1.

Bottom line:
If you can catch a good deal it is 100% worth the experience in the Back 40. Having said that, the camping and NOT luxury resort mind-set is needed to have a good time. The water park is not nearly as good as a Great Wolf Lodge. Do not go to the Double JJ if that is the experience that you are expecting.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Jennifer G

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Room was nice, however it was not as described. Water park hot tubs were both disgustingly dirty. Bed was the worst that I have ever slept in. For the $300+ that we spent for 1 night, I at least expected that someone would contact me when I had complaints on my comment card for our stay. Very disappointed and would not recommend to anyone. Their lack of response tells me that they do not care about satisfying their customers. Jacuzzi tub in our room was wonderful. And our $110 dinner was ok.

Room Tip: Take your own pillows, too. We were a family visit of 4 people and there were only 5 poor quality pi...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
6  Thank Unhappymom0920
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Half of the stuff was broken on the stay with my sons. Not enough staff, the hot tubs were broken, not enough tubes for a busy weekend.

It is very clear the Double JJ has decided profit margins are far more important than customer satisfaction.

Avoid this place! I would drive the extra 2 hours and go to the Great Wolf or another waterpark any day!

Will never go back!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Jeff A
Reviewed April 2, 2014

For Valentines day my girlfriend and I stayed there for a package deal. We stayed on the "back 40" side in a small A-framed cabin and had a great dinner for two at the steakhouse. Our first day we went to the waterpark and it was too much fun!! The humid air was a great relief from the extremely harsh winter weather we had this season.

The dinner later that night was fantastic. It was truly (no kidding) the best steak I have ever had. My girlfriend had fish that they made special on request.

The staff was very accommodating and offered great information about any question we had.

Some of the reviews on here a very unjust. This place is a great place for a mini vacation for the price you pay. We never had an actual red carpet rolled out for us but we never paid for that either!!!!!

We got engaged that evening and now are married. We can't wait to plan another short trip to the Double J for some fun!! I am looking forward to that wonderful steak again!!

Room Tip: The cabins had a rustic feel but all the necessities needed!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Visited in February for a mini-family vacation. We were very excited about finding a new waterpark in Michigan. Upon arrival we were locked out of our room. Turns out our door had broken earlier that day but they had failed to tell us. We had to use a different door to get into our room. Waterpark wasn't too bad. LOTS of young lifeguards which made me super unsure about being in the water with all the children. There aren't many restaurants to go to. Wait times were well over an hour. Same with breakfast. The servers were way overworked and swamped. I will say that the buffet stay breakfast was the best I've ever had at a hotel. The wait was totally worth it. We did the horse ride which was beautiful. Our guide was very knowledgeable and helpful to our questions. BEWARE: Since this is a waterpark there are many children running everywhere. They were up and down the halls all night. A party of I'm guessing over 10 stayed above us and it sounded like they were stomping around the whole time. Was way over priced for what was offered.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Lauren G
Reviewed March 27, 2014 via mobile

Complex is very dirty and there is little smell of chlorine being used in the water. People capacity limits in the pool area are nonexistent. Lifeguards do nothing to control kids and adults that do not follow rules for basic safety. Water and air temperature is cold. If you have smaller children, those under 42 inches tall can only use the wading pool. If you are looking a good value do not go here. Very disappointed. I hope they treat the horses on their property better than they maintain the water park that kids play in. Parking area is very inconvenient and not organized. People parked in areas that blocked driveways and access.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank philz22
Reviewed March 24, 2014

We stayed in the campground because of our dogs. The campground is overpriced and over crowded. There are lot of activities for the kids, but it probably was because it was a holiday weekend. The waterpark was so over chlorinated that my husband left. Not enough tubes and a lot of things didn't work. Keep a good eye on your kids, the lifeguards won't. This was our second trip there because I really wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. Guess not!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Arlene P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Dunes Waterfront Resort
#4 of 12 in Muskegon
Weathervane Inn
Weathervane Inn
#1 of 2 in Montague

Been to Double JJ Resort? Share your experiences!