“Disappointed”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
Holland, Michigan
“Disappointed”
Reviewed September 18, 2013

I took my son and mother to the waterpark on 09/2013 (after school had begun) thinking the resort would have less trafic and be more enjoyable. I decided NOT to stay overnight at the resort because of the cost and I'm soooo glad I didn't stay. I initially wanted to stay because of the waterpark package and the other 2 places ( JJ Ranch and Back Forty). The website advertised lots of Daily Activities especially at Back Forty. I was really excited for my son.
-Well. . . . waterpark is not worth the $25 adult and $20 child.
-Back Forty was a complete GHOST TOWN. We went in afternoon when schedule said there would be activities. Stores were closed and info center had no one to assist us. My poor son (7 yrs) was so disappointed/he said it was a ghost town and we should leave.
- I had asked at waterpark front desk and previously thru phone call about activities and other locations that Double J offered, SOMEONE should have been kind enough to tell me they were closed and had no activities

*Overall my son enjoyed 1 warm pool at the waterpark(other parts too cold) and that was it.
Maybe during high season in summer months this place is different.
Will not be returning :(

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Alma P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Caro, Michigan, Usa
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Had to fill this out to contact them. rating is not accurate at this time. I do know they need make an area separate for questions and reviews. I do know sounds like a very nice place. And heard good comments people who have been here before.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I use to stay here every summer when I lived in Indiana. This was back around 2007 and earlier. I loved this resort then. It wasn't touristy. The wranglers were great. The rules weren't super strict, so even experienced riders could have fun. Now that that Double JJ was sold to another company its gone totally down the drain! I went back and wanted to cry. They use to have an amazing adults only week on the Original Ranch side that they no longer do. This place went down the tubes as soon as that waterpark was built. So sad to see such a unique resort take a turn for the worst.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank GibsonPettit

Travelers are raving about these Rothbury hotels

Allendale, Michigan, Usa
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I've heard great things about this resort for a long time and was excited to finally spend a couple of nights camping here.

CONS: Friday evening there was some rain and thunder, but it was over relatively quickly. Yet they closed down the simming hole and most of the activities for the night for what I figured was "just in case it rains again". There was one night worth of activities lost. (We justified the $65 a night to tent camp based on the amount of "free" activities") We paid for an electric/water site yet the water and electric hook-ups are "centrally" located and unless we had a 100' extension cord and odd adapter there was no way we could get electric to our tent three sites away. There was also not enough hook-ups for the number of sites that were intended to use them. The site next to us had a HUGE bees nest in the tree that freaked my kids out the whole stay. There is a quiet time of 11pm yet there was a large group of people in the middle of the campground with very loud music, singing and yelling well past 2am. What's the point of a quiet time if you're not going to bother enforcing it? We finally fell asleep and before we knew it there was loud music coming from the General Store area that woke us all up. The girl working the crafting area on Saturday was very rude. The vast majority of the back forty area, even though meant to be old west, needs maintenance and updating.

Pros: Rick, the RV Park "manger", is awesome. He was always running around the campground helping people. Huge kudos to him for being so service oriented! The entire campground area is highly shaded from trees which was a welcome retreat from the very hot sun. The Rodeo was a good time for the whole family. The swimming hole was fun however extremely cold.

I don't think we'll be returning anytime soon. Maybe if we had stayed in the hotel area and stuck to the indoor waterpark our experience would have been different. Overall couldn't wait to just get up in the morning, pack up, and come home. So disappointed.

Windsor, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

My husband, two daughters and I were at Double JJ last weekend and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We can't say enough about the warm and friendly staff, the comfortable and well-stocked room, the lovely time riding, and the contented and relaxed family atmosphere.

We rode, enjoyed both water parks, the rodeo and pig roast, and my husband golfed.

We had a problem with the futon in our room, which was broken - it was swiftly repaired with, again, very friendly service.

The wranglers on the rides were great - very helpful, fun, kind, and just eager to help us get all we could out of the rides. The horses were all sweethearts and good with us (none of us very experienced).

Family karaoke was so comfortable and friendly, the rodeo was very much a participatory event - quite exciting.

We had included breakfast, and the buffet was very nice indeed. I have a severely restricted diet and couldn't have much - they fried me a couple egg separately every fatso that it could be safely dairy-free.

My husband said the golf course was terrific, and he thoroughly enjoyed it. The discount for guests was perfectly reasonable, he thought.

So, really, I have great things to say, and we'll go back. I did think that our package was pretty expensive, at about $500/day. But I figure the water parks are $100/day for the family, and the rides $140/day. Breakfast was $40. So $280 of that was those things - which leaves the room and included activities at $220/night.

And that's not too bad, is it? We had a full suite with a big kitchen, well-stocked.

But when I'm already paying that $500/day, I don't want to be charged to rent a locker at the water park. That's chintzy. I would like room service at least every other day, not every third (so we never got any).

This is not a huge big deal. Maybe on another visit we won't stay at the Thoroughbred Suites. Maybe we'll stay in the back 40. But I do like the kitchen. It keeps things simple.

In the end, I paid a little more than I would like to - and I'll admit many activities were more suitable for younger kids. A chunk of the indoor water park was closed every day because there weren't enough lifeguards till the evening. There were a few listed activities we never did see - well hidden? The dogs did look pathetic in their horrible pens with many of them with sore ears - and really, they charge the guests to take them out? They're desperate to get out - the guests are doing the staff and dogs a good thing!

But it was just so NICE, overall, and we felt so welcome and comfortable. And the horses were so sweet, and the little petting zoo - live A.J. The donkey. The stunt show was so unashamedly corny you had to love them for their willingness to be goofy.

So yes, we'll probably go back next year. We had a good time, and felt quite at home. My twelve-year-old wants to move and work there.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Storybookmum
Ludington, Michigan, Usa
Reviewed August 28, 2013

pool was chipped paint and rust stained. it doesn't take much to apply a fresh coat. looks dingy. none of the water toys work and the bathrooms were dirty. $25 for a day pass! r u kidding me! i'd rather go to Michigan adventure for $28.

1 Thank Kate T
Ada, Michigan
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I have been coming here for 4 years, and it is totally worth every penny. They have everything a family needs to have continuous fun. They have different places to stay, including the Purebred Suites, Lofts, Cabins, Log Houses, an RV Parking Lot, and even have a place for Boy Scouts, and Girl Scouts to stay.
They have 2 Water Parks. An indoor, and outdoor. The indoor pool (at the Frontier) consists of 3 tube slides, 1 body slide, 2 hot tubs, a Lazy Crazy River, Kiddie Pool, and a Wave Machine. The outdoor pool (at the Back 40) consists of 1 tube slide that runs right through a barn, a Kiddie Pool, and an activity pool with a Volley Ball net.
The Back 40 is a replica of an old Western Town. This is were you can get a quick bite to eat at Shooters. Then take a stop to the General Store to get a scoop or two of ice cream, also you can get some souvenirs, and a voucher for a Trail Ride. There are Corral Lessons, and Trail Rides. The horses are very calm, and love people. You can go Walking, Trotting, Cantering, and sometimes Galloping, and Running. The staff in the barn do a great job at teaching the Corral Lessons, and watching the horses.
At the Back 40, there are
The Lofts are the best place to stay. it over looks the beautiful Golf Coarse, and you can walk to the Frontier. The Sun Dance Steak House is at the Frontier, too. They have wonderful food, and good service. The Thoroughbred Suites are over there too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Dunes Express Inn & Suites
Travelodge Muskegon
Travelodge Muskegon
#8 of 12 in Muskegon

Been to Double JJ Resort? Share your experiences!