Double JJ Resort
$154
Rodeway Inn(Whitehall)
$90
$68
Comfort Inn Whitehall(Whitehall)(Great Value!)
$130
$150
$142
$149
Sierra Sands Family Lodge(Mears)(Great Value!)
$110
Dunes Waterfront Resort(Mears)(Great Value!)
$120
$148
AscendHotels
$100
$139
$109
Orbitz.com
All reviewshorseback ridinggolf coursefull kitchenice creama lot of funmaster bedroomwhirlpool tubsome tlckids rangingincluded breakfastthoroughbred suitesoff seasonindoor waterparkqueen bedpig roastfamily vacationlabor day weekend
Reviewed June 2, 2013

I stayed in the lofts, and my package was used via Groupon. I never heard of this resort so I just went in blindly.I'm glad I did because my best friend and I along with our kids stayed a weekend and it is the best family fun I have had in a long time. There is the indoor water park (fabulous), horseback riding , petting farm, rodeo, crafts and TONS of other activities during the day, etc. You never have to leave the resort seeing that they have dining options on site. It was an absolute blast. I'd definitely recommend :)

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Gooniegirl36
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My family and I took a vacation here in April for a weekend through a Groupon. We stayed for two nights in the loft hotel. My kids are 9 and 12 so I was a little concerned about them getting bored, but it all worked out pretty darn well!
When we arrived the staff was incredibly friendly. In April, it was still very cold out so having the hotel so far away from the hotel was a little 'sucky' if you will - but it worked out, we just drove there.
The loft hotel looks rustic from the outside and both of the kids got a little worried. It is definitely a ranch - don't expect a big room or a nice television. Our 9-year-year said upon entering the room: "Well this is small." My response was: "You are here for the experience, not for the room."
We arrived on a Friday night so we used that evening to walk around the land and see what the waterpark had to offer from above. The kids had a blast playing in the arcade, too. On Saturday we spent the entire day at the waterpark. We were SO impressed by the waterpark. Do not let the looks fool you - those slides are awesome! It appears to be small and the girls were talking a big game about getting bored, but six hours in we were all wrinkled from not leaving the water and exhausted! The slides are awesome; we loved all of them! Seriously, it's a great waterpark. There is also a wonderful snack area with good food for decent prices in the waterpark.
Sunday morning we went horse back riding on the trail. That was a really fun experience for all four of us!
We also visited the petting farm and the sled dogs during our time there. My only major disappointment comes from the sled dogs experience. We are all huge dog lovers and looked forward to seeing the dogs at Double JJ. However, we all left terribly sad because there was one dog who was visibly ill - and I mean very, very ill. Both of my kids were upset the rest of the day and still talk about it over a month later because of how awful this poor puppy looked. All of the dogs are kept in cages and were excited to have people walking through so there was some fun to it. We understood that they are work dogs, so they should look thinner, but this poor animal was so ill he could hardly walk. I suggested to Double JJ that when the animals get to that point, they move them out of the sight of guests for care, but did not received any feedback. Seeing the dogs is a great experience if you love animals, but just be prepared for some heartbreak.
All in all it was a great time! I would like to go back in the summer when more of the ranch is open. A lot of the activities are only open Memorial Day to Labor Day (which is why I suppose the Groupon had to be used in the early springtime). We are considering visiting for a day to see what else Double JJ has to offer.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Erica C
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Everything was excellent from the moment we checked in to the moment we checked out. There were plenty of fun things to do for everyone of all ages and many unforgettable moments.
It was absolutely perfect, Clean, comfortable and fun. The rooms were large and the in-room Jacuzzi was nice. An excellent place to go to get away from every day life and relax with luxury.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Jino B
Reviewed May 22, 2013

I love this place, I was not expecting 5 star service, and I was affraid that my 12 and 17 year old kids would get bored. I would not say that I got 5 star service but the staff was great. Everyone was friendly and helpful. We stayed in a suite, which was great, comfy and cozy. But I think we might try a cabin next time. Some of the people needed to tend to their children better, but I cannot blame Double JJ for that. There was so many activities for everyone to do, my son had to plan very carefully to make it to everything and still have time for the waterpark. My Daughter did not complain once about being bored. Missed out on horseback riding only because we didn't want to go in the snow/rain. We are already planning a trip back later in the summer. Food is a bit pricey for the selection but didn't care.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank kandlekrazy
Reviewed May 20, 2013

To the manager
I have been to the double JJ well over 8 times from the late 90’s and up and decided to give it one more try after the bankruptcy (even after JJ took my $200 a few weeks before they went under and did not give it back)
After this last weekend you can save the insulting generic reply you have been giving to the rest of the dissatisfied customers “I can see that we missed this mark with your stay. Our resort has gone under many renovations & upgrades over the past years, and will continue to make improvements”
What improvements? The place is falling apart, broken benches at the back 40 you cannot sit on, siding rotting and falling off of the pro shop, the rotted floor that gives way as you walk just walk into Sundance, the rotting OSB that is used to block off the windows on the back of the water park, and you closed the adult part of the ranch forcing couples that want a golf weekend away without the kids to put up with other peoples kids…..that is an improvement how?

The golf
The course design is breath taking, the lack of maintenance is deplorable, I remember when this course first opened it was manicured and beautiful, the carts had GPS on them, the bar at the club house was open and full of laughter.
What we found this weekend was millions of dandelions and clover, in the fairway on the edge of the greens in the ruff…millions, at times we could not find our balls in the first cut next to the greens, and the greens….#3 was like putting over cobblestone, spots of dead grass everywhere, the woman’s tee box was covered in clover to the point if the ball was not teed up it would sink in it. No improvements found here.

The nightlife
The adult part of the resort is shut down and the bar we always had the most fun at is closed, it use to be full of the wranglers and guests tipping a few, riding the mechanical bull, listing and dancing to music
now that is shut down we are forced to use the bar in the Sundance that is primarily for making drinks for the restaurant, it is quiet and dead. Or we can use the bar in the waterpark where you can listen to 13 year old girls sing karaoke off key and dodge dripping wet younger kids running by on their way from the park to the arcade or there room. No improvement found here.

The grounds
We stayed at the lofts, no big changes other than the hammock that was out front is no longer there and half the lights guiding us from the Sundance to the lofts at night are not working.
In a day not so long ago the Sundance was beautiful to look at coming up the 18th hole, now it has a hotel on the right connected with an elevated red corrugated steel walkway you would find at a mine site and on the left you will find a walkway covered in mismatched banners connecting the unfinished water park building that’s back wall is unpainted and has rotting OSB boards blocking unused windows.
The back 40 has benches that if someone took 15 minutes and some tools could fix but that would entail the improvements, you know the things I cannot find.

The Food
After reading the other reviews we went to Pentwater to eat dinner, we did have breakfast at the Sundance it was ok, nothing great.

The Staff
All were friendly and sociable, we did not have any problems to put them to the test.

Horseback riding
We paid the extra $10 and did a private ride it was no problem booking and we had a great time.

Waterpark
Not my thing, did not explore.

Will I come back?
The last 2 times I told myself no but I see the potential in this place and tell myself that they must have a new manger by now that had turned it around, after last weekend, if the adults only part is not opened and the golf course is not fixed…No…but then give it a few years and I will tell myself it has to be better by now.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple