“Water Park needs a good cleaning!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Double JJ Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Rothbury
Double JJ Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
Holland
“Water Park needs a good cleaning!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2013

I took my family for the day over Spring Break. From the check-in line to get your pass the park looks nice but after we got into the water I could have left.(Try telling the kids we are now going to leave after 5 min.) The sides of all the pools have a nasty scum line and the sand build up in the hot tub and b-ball pool makes me wonder if they ever take time to clean and do maintenance. I took my kids to the bathroom a couple times during the day and 2 stalls were plugged the entire day with toilet paper and not sure what was all over the floor. The pool chairs have a black mold on the underside that can't be good.

It seems to me that the place is run by young people because I didn't see any sort of management all day. Used dirty towels laying every where. The only guy working his butt off was the poor cook in the snack shack who had 20 people inline with no one to help him. I want to jump behind the counter to help.

I have been in the resort business for over 25 years and I was very disappointed in what I found at Double J.

I would hope that the staff would take some time and look at their facilities from a customers view and look into the cleanliness and maintenance of their facility's. (Get in the pools and swim around) Train staff to care about cleanliness and to see issues and take care of it. There was one girl walking around with a clipboard all day (I think see was in charge) and when see wasn't doing that she was looking a stuff on her phone instead of cleaning up the park.

You only get one chance to make a first impression!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HollandCampman
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Thank you for providing your valuable feedback regarding your experience while visiting our resort during Spring Break. We strive to make every guest interaction an excellent experience, and I can see that we missed this mark with your stay.
Our resort has gone under many renovations & upgrades over the past years, and will continue to make improvements due to feedback we have received from guests like yourself. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

This was an excellent weekend getaway! We visited in the off season and still had a great time! We didn't have children with us, but still had plenty to do: horseback riding, mechanical bull riding, snowtubing, the waterpark, and a few other things. The rooms are very nice, spacious and luxurious. We were able to get a jacuzzi suite that had a full kitchen (stove, oven, microwave, coffee maker, dishwasher, full fridge, plus all pots, pans, plates, silverware, & cups), fireplace, two flat screen TVs, two balconies, jacuzzi, and a California King bed. We were really impressed with the overall appearance and cleanliness of the facility. The staff in all areas were always very friendly and helpful. We want to come back over the summer and try out some of the other rooms and suites they have. It was worth our 4 hour drive from Ohio! Adults and couples without children can still have a great time and not be left out here! Excellent experience!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chesterton In
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

Fabulous place to relax, have fun. We took 6 kids (12 People). They sang Karaoke at night, swam in the water park, rode horses... we didn't do Video Games! And everyone had a great time... their staff if FABULOUS.
Their staff also helped the boys get a Boy Scout Badge! Wonderful!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Howdy! Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor, & we are pleased to hear that you & your scouts enjoyed your stay at the Double JJ Resort! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back throughout the year so you may enjoy the Double JJ Resort & all of its various activities in every season!
Happy Trails!
Muskegon, Michigan, Usa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We brought the whole family to double jj waterpark last month and it was soooo hot! It was over 100 degrees and all the water was hot. Not just warm, "HOT". My daughter threw up after only being there an hour. I am assuming something was wrong because usually it is very comfortable in there. We go there often and generally stay the whole day but had to leave after about 45 minutes last time because of the heat. Probably should have asked for a refund but didnt want to complain. More I thought about it after we left I should have. Big waste of money for the day. Generally speaking though it is usually a great time and the staff is very friendly. A lot of the stuff is broke and it could use some money put back into the place. Most of the water cannons split and other water toys have split hoses or do not work at all.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jackson, Michigan, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

Me and my little family had a wonderful weekend getaway here last weekend on the 15th and 16th We have a 4,6,8 yr old they loved the activities and the waterpark and also the arcade could'nt believe the activites were free. We stayed in the 2 bedroom suites in the throughbred hotel now what i loved was are room big comfty and spacious oh and the kitchen were we cooked almost all are meals at was so nice the kids kept calling the place home with are package we had free breakfast both mornings one word ''delicous'' they have just the nicest waitresses and staff. we also ate at one of the resturants rustlers roost very good and the root beer floats and sugar cookies at the ice cream parlour was delicous! I research are vacation destenations for like a week or two before booking theirs a lot of good reviews and a little bit of bad ones DONT listen to the bad ones im glad i did'nt and glad i had an opportunity to prove the bad ones wrong. we vacation 2-3 times a year we mostly stay at waterpark resorts becuase of the kids and its mostly in sandusky ,oh becuase my fiance family lives there but those hotels are usually so packed easy to loose a kid the lines are way too long and u just cant really get that relaxing and exciting feel we were able to get at the double j j waterpark are 4 and 6 yr olds got in a tubes by their selfs 1st time ever of course we were right behind them it made them feel like big boys'' proud mommy moment''' we will defently be back you guys are our new favorite getaway destination now I could go on and on but you just haft to experience it on your owgive you a little taste.

Room Tip: we loved are room in the throughbred suites hotel
2 Thank Shatae G
Centreville, Michigan, Usa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

We pent the weekend of March 15 in one of the Back 40 cabins, for a weekend getaway. The cabin while not the cleanest was ok, our problems however started Friday evening, the heat did not seem to be working ( cold air was blowing out of the unit.)I called the front desk to ask for someone to come take a look at it, we patiently waited two hours, no one came. I called again to see if someone was coming to look at it and, also to let them know that the bolts for the toilet seat were missing. Still no maintance man, finally the heat started blowing warm, thinking that the problem had corrected itself. My went on to the arcade. The kids had wanted to do the waterpark but, didn't feel it was worth the money for just a couple of hours. I had inquired if there were any deals such as, buy two days get one free, at the front desk and, were told there was not anything. However, in the morning at the waterpark, we were offered buy one day, get a second for $10.00. Bummer, the kids would have liked the extra time.
The hot tub was having some issues, it was very dirty and, the water level was low. Beneath the skimmer about four inches, instead of closing the tub. It was being filled by a garden hose running hot water, into the tub. This is not a very good idea, seeing as how children were grabbing the hose, and I ended up sprayed with burning hot water.
The second morning of our stay, we again were out of heat. I awoke to a very cold room. The funarce in the bedroom was blowing cold air and, would not shut off. At this point I called again, as we were packing up to leave. When I got to the front desk to check out I again informed the front desk ladies, and got an "ow that sucks!" Like I needed to hear that, we had already figured that out for ourselves. The front desk definately needs customer service training. I was upset enough to call the resort on Monday and, leave a message for the manager but, five days later have received no return call.
Cowboy Carl the shuttle driver was great, he went out of his way to make sure we knew all the things the resort had to offer for the kids, including all the summer acivities.Our three kids young teens, really liked him. Also the gentleman running the laser tag, did a super job. After the problem we were still willing to give it another try, until our van got stuck in the back forty drive. The water on the road was up to the bottom of our van. Another family pulled it out. Thank Goodness! The clerk thought that "sucked as well

1 Thank Melissa W

Travelers are raving about these Rothbury hotels

Hudsonville, Michigan, Usa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Stayed at the Double JJ for a much needed, mid-winter family vacation. Our cabin in the back forty was fantastic! We had a great time in the water park as well. The service however, was terrible. After a long day of swimming, we went over to the Sundance Saloon & Steakhouse in anticipation of a good dinner. After telling the hostess we needed a table for 8, we were taken to a table for four. No big deal, went back to the lobby to wait a couple minutes for a bigger table to be put together. Not too terribly long after placing our order, one family's drinks and appetizers came out. The other family waited quite a bit longer. Eventually their drinks came out but no appetizer... The young children in our group were getting restless. We continued to wait. Just shy of an hour and a half, the waitress dropped off our bill without ever delivering the other family's appetizer, any dinners or even refilling drinks?! (It was not even the busy 6pm dinner rush either). My husband had to track the waitress down to let her know we never received our food. The manager ordered pizza on the house at Ruslter's Roost next door. We went over to pick up the food - as now the kids are REALLY hungry and tired. We waited and waited at the counter to order drinks to go with the pizza. No one showed up so we found our own cups behind the counter. The pizza was horrible - soggy and dripping with grease that was pooled on top. The machines in the arcade constantly were jammed and we had to track down an employee every couple of minutes to get the tickets out. The next morning at the complimentary buffet the waitress we had forgot my coffee she had poured. When she remembered and brought it to our table it was cold. While waiting for pancakes at the grill, the cook completely ignored me as I was standing there. I waited for him to finish pouring the pancake batter on the griddle, but when he finished, he turned to the side and started scraping his spatula. When I asked him where to pick up pancakes his reply was a surly "It'll be a minute". For a fun, family resort the service was not friendly and certainly not what I expected. The employees seemed burned out and didn't care about thwie jobs. The place has a lot of potential, but needs some serious customer service training.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Amy B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Weathervane Inn
#3 of 5 in Whitehall
The Harrington Inn
The Harrington Inn
#1 of 1 in Fremont

Been to Double JJ Resort? Share your experiences!