“I don't know why people are complaining about this place!”
Review of Double JJ Resort

Double JJ Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
Cedar Springs, Michigan, United States
“I don't know why people are complaining about this place!”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

I am currently at the resort and my family is having a blast! The food has been great, the water park has been 84 degrees and all the slides and play structures have been fully functional, our room in the thoroughbred suites is nice and clean, and the staff has been extremely friendly. I read some very negative reviews of this place prior to coming and was worried about how our stay would be, but now that we are here, I'm glad we came. Yes, things are pricey but that's the way a resort works. Just keep in mind, the negative ones are the people who often speak the loudest. If you have a family, then this is a great destination! We especially enjoyed the snow tubing hill and are looking forward to our sleigh ride tomorrow. We have been to Great Wolf Lodge in the past and enjoyed that too, but we like here better as there is a greater variety of things for the family to do. My only negative has been the stiff beds, but they are par for the course in terms of hotels.

Matt Landry
Cedar Springs, MI

Room Tip: The thoroughbred suites are closest to the tubing hill and waterpark and are pretty modern.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Matt L
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Howdy Matt! Thank you for taking the time to post on TripAdvisor, & we are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay at the Double JJ Resort! We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back throughout the year so you may enjoy the Double JJ Resort & all of its various activities in every season!
Happy Trails!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Hesperia, Michigan, Usa
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We had my daughter's 10th birthday party in the water park today and it was a totally fantastic experience. One of her little guest's birthday was also today (which I didn't find out until last night) so without any previous notice Amanda and Cody (I believe that is his name) turned it into a party for two birthday girls, complete with balloons with her name on them and candy and all the extra specials for the birthday girls. Going all out to include her meant so much more than they could know...you see, this little girl has had some recent family crisis. Her father abandoned her and her mother, leaving mom the work full time. Her mother told me that she didn't have the money for much birthday fun, and she had to work today ( her bd) anyway. Amanda and Cody helped her feel like a princess. That was priceless. They waited on us hand and foot and were so absolutely gracious...they made this normally extremely stressful day an absolute pleasure. Thank you all so much and God bless you.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Darlene M
Howdy Darlene!
We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Double JJ Resort, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences! We do our best to exceed the expectations of each & every guest who stays at the resort, and are always pleased to hear positive feedback, which I will be sure to pass along to our staff! We're glad we could help both birthday girls have a positive & memorable experience!
Niles, Michigan
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were looking for a get a-way relaxing weekend. Having gone to the resort in the summer we thought we would give it a try.
We originally booked a room in the Lofts but decided after seeing the pictures to upgrade to the Suites. Good decision for us. There was a walkway that connected the Suites to the water park. The Suites were very spacious and we saved the extra money spent by having a kitchen which we made a quick meal or two. Restruarant food and service was great, great. The best part also was the dog sled ride. Enjoy

Room Tip: Look into the Suites. Worth the extra money if your not on a tight budget.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank gajor_1
Richmond, Michigan
Reviewed February 3, 2013

During our stay at Double JJ Ranch we initially were booked in the Lofts Hotel. Although the place is suppose to look rustic, it was downright old and dirty! From the moment we walked in the door I knew we could not lay our heads down and feel comfortable. The room smelled musty and moldy. We were in the room and noticed bugs on the bed and stains on comforter. We couldnt get out fast enough. Kindly the staff upgraded our room to one in the Thoroughbred Suites which was much better. Things were clean, and updated. The water park was fun for the kids but even the towel were disgusting with stains! Many of the accessories such as ping pong table was broken, and even the saddles had note saying do not sit on. What is the purpose of showing kids things all around the resort but in the same breath say do not try it out. I dont plan on returning even if it was FREE!

Room Tip: If you do decide to stay at this ranch, definately upgrade to the Thoroughbred Suites.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Michiganmama72
Thank you for providing your valuable feedback regarding your experience while visiting our resort. We strive to make every guest interaction an excellent experience, and I can see that we missed this mark with your stay. Our resort has gone under many renovations & upgrades over the past years, and will continue to make improvements due to feedback we have received from guests like yourself. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Rothbury hotels

Grand Haven
Reviewed February 2, 2013

My wife & I wanted a relaxing getaway & thats what we got ! We stayed in the lofts hotel. Nothing real special, but very comfortable & more than adequate for our needs. My only complaint on the whole weekend would be the t.v. in our room. Being a huge football fan the small, somewhat blurry screen was'nt the best for playoff football viewing. Now for all the positives. The water park was awesome!! The horseback riding was great! We went on some beautiful trails through the woods. We saw a bunch of deer that just stand there, & watch you ride by. The Sundance saloon & steakhouse was very enjoyable. The views of the golf course from the dining room are amazing. The food & service for breakfast & dinner was extremely good.The entire staff that we came in contact with from check in to check out were very friendly & knowledgeable. All in all we had a very memorable weekend And are very much looking forward to returning to the Double JJ with our kids & grandkids.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Howdy Ben!
Bay City, Michigan, USA
Reviewed February 1, 2013

My family and I, made reservations for 1/19/13, as last minute getaway due to a traumatic family event and needed to getaway. (I know its not your business but my daughters dad had hung himself and was found unresponsive and was put on life support, he did survive this tradegy and all I wanted is for my daughter to have fun and getaway from home life for one weekend) So we decided to try JJ. I am truely dissapointed with how the waterpark was run that day. My daughter and my boyfriends son where going down the "bowl" slide and in comes flying two adults on a tube nearly colliding with 2 children. Where is the staffing to control when and how often the next person is to go to the slie?? This could of turned tragic if these 2 Adults did collide with a 10 and 11 year old. My boyfiends son slipped and fell on the bridge that came off from the body slide area because the gripper tape was missing. He ended up with huge welts and scratches down his side. Half of the sprayers didnt work, we waited for ever to get a dual tube and he waterpark was not very busy. Then to top it off when we went to breakfast in the morning it was not warm at all. Our eggs and pancakes where cold. Not only did I spend $223 for a room but 3 hour drive in each direction for this!!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank 854MichelleH
Thank you for providing your valuable feedback regarding your experience while visiting our resort. We strive to make every guest interaction an excellent experience, and I can see that we missed this mark with your stay. Our resort has gone under many renovations & upgrades over the past years, and will continue to make improvements due to feedback we have received from guests like yourself. We have made sure to address the safety issues you brought up with our waterpark staff. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.
michigan
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed in the Lofts hotel. The room was as expected for the least inexpensive room. The room was clean except for a few minor issues. Stayed last weekend so it was very cold out. Our heater did not heat the room real warm. Knowing this is the older building it didn't bother me as we keep our home cool. I also noticed some lint in the corners and edges of the wall. I also know maids are allowed so many minutes to clean each room. Which I don't wipe my wall baseboards every time I vacuum. So again really not a big deal. There was one spot on wall in the bathroom area where the paint was was starting to peel from the humidity from shower. With all that being said we are commom people just looking for a nice place to stay and it meet our expectations. The water park was nice and clean. I noticed a few things in kiddie area that needed repair. The food was as expected. I wouldn't consider it too expensive compared to other places in this class of entertainment. We were very pleased with the items we ate. I'm a very good cook and was pleasantly suprised how nice breakfast was. We went without children. We did check out alot of the activities for the kids. They were very cute and would be great for kids. Our next trip we will be taking our son who mentally is about 7 and I feel he would have a great time and enjoy all of them. I had very friendly staff. Some more knowledgeable that others. The girl in the arts and craft room was great and informative. Also very kid friendly and cheerful. She appeared as she enjoyed her job. Water park lifeguards probably could use some people skills that a older person may have when working with the sevice industry. Overall I would recommend to anyone. We took the shuttle to the back 40 to look at cabins. When we come back we will stay in a cabin which are pet friendly so our dogs can go with us. The shuttle takes you all over the resort. The back 40 is approx. 2 miles from the waterpark so it is very spread out. The summer rodeo is also close to the back 40 and away from the waterpark. We visited the arcade and it was in comparison to other resorts of this type, A few broken machines. While there on sunday morning there was a repair man in fixing machines. A couple times I had to get the attendant to get help with a game that was working correctly. Over all if you have visited this type of resorts in the past I don't think you would be disappointed. We are big kids and enjoy theme park getaways. I wouldn't consider it disney standards but in line with other resorts of this kind. One other thing I ofrgot is the room we stayed in had really comfy beds. Firm but with a pillowtop. Great back support.

Room Tip: The suites would be a benfit as they have more ammenties if you prefer this kind of thing. If you ha...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank krissywmichigan
Howdy Krissy!
We look forward to seeing you back again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Shoreline Inn & Conference Center, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
#1 of 5 in Whitehall
Holiday Inn Muskegon
Holiday Inn Muskegon
#4 of 12 in Muskegon

Been to Double JJ Resort? Share your experiences!