“razor blades and hand foot and mouth virus what a fun time at double jj.”
Review of Double JJ Resort

Double JJ Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Rothbury
mukegon
“razor blades and hand foot and mouth virus what a fun time at double jj.”
Reviewed April 8, 2012

my husband, two children and myself stayed at the double jj recently. We were excited to get away for the night and enjoy the waterpark. After checking in to the lofts we walked into our room to find it a mess. My son needed to wash his hands, as i was picking him up so he could reach the sink to my horror I saw a razor blade and suspicious white powder on the counter. Immediatly my husband went down to the front desk to complain. When he got there, four other guests were also complaining about the state of their rooms. When my husband told the woman about our room and slapped down the razor blade on the counter they were very quick to upgrade us no charge. This is all well and good but on returning home from our trip just four days later my children both became very sick. I rushed my son to the emergancy room and found out that he had gotten hand foot and mouth virus. Since my children are not in school and they do not go to day care I asked the doctor how they could have gotten this. He asked what we had done lately that was out of the norm. Of course we went to Double JJ waterpark four days ago. The doctor said more than likely this is how it happened since it is contracted between children from feces and unsanitary conditions.. If you do not know what this virus does, let me tell you. My son has hundreds of blisters covering his face hands feet legs and buttocks. His hands are so swollen that he can not make a fist. He even has blisters in his mouth on his throat which makes it hard for him to eat and sleep. I am certain that the conditions of the waterpark and lack of sanitation procedures resulted in my children getting this. My husband and i have had four sleepless nights and have been disinfecting eveything our child touches. I would not wish this on anyone. A fun getaway ends in misery. Do not go there unless you want to have a dissapointing time.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
14 Thank rachel c
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this review, April 12, 2012
Howdy Rachel C-
Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns, and to discuss your stay with us. We once again apologize that maintenance left some of their supplies after working on the caulking in your room & that you had to be the one to find them. We strive to make every guest interaction an excellent experience, and I can see that we missed this mark with your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future when you return for another stay & to enjoy our golf course, and thank you for giving us another opportunity to treat you to a positive, remarkable experience.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Grand Rapids,MI
Reviewed April 5, 2012

The check-in process started our on-a-whim mini two day, one night excursion with a three-year old. We arrived at 3:30 and were told that the room was not ready and that check-in was guaranteed at 4:00. Waited ten minutes while their system tried to process payment. Ok. We walked over and saw the waterpark, which seemed nice, especially for our young son. To chew off some time we went to the arcade, located next to the waterpark to let our little one play a couple of games. The arcade was run-down with just a few games, mostly the ticket-type carnival games. Of $10 of tokens the machines ate $2.75….that is how old they are. Going back to check-in at 4:00 we were told that they don't have the key to our room and they don't know where the maid is. 4:25 we finally got in. I have to say the room (thoroughbred suite, two bedroom) was very nice and clean. The rooms were large and the in-room jacuzzi was nice. After being there for about 30 minutes the rumbling began. Deep rumbling, like a large truck sitting by the hotel (there was none), even the light fixtures in the bathroom vibrated. Ok. The waterpark was nice, enough for a three year old to be busy for a couple of hours. Leaving there we went to the steakhouse for dinner (who brag about serving USDA choice beef, lol). As others stated, the service was extremely slow. We always order the kids meal as soon as we order drinks which usually results in him being done about the same time as us. This time we waited and waited for dinner, he was done and saw the table placards with all the ice cream desserts. Why not, he usually doesn't get them, but we told him ok. Finally when our dinner arrived we ordered the ice cream, (vanilla sundae), and he was all excited about ice cream. About 15 minutes pass before the waiter comes back and tells us that they are out of ice cream….keep in mind….vanilla….children's waterpark and that we can go to the main building for ice cream. Take the placards off the table if you don't have ice cream. Unbelievable. Back to the room, as others said the walls are paper thin. Several times we thought our son was yelling mom or dad, but it was the people upstairs (through the air vents), you could almost hear their entire conversation. For the second bedroom, adjacent to the hallway, yes, the walls are very thin, you hear every person talking and every door slamming. I didn't mention before, but the second bedroom had a strange smell of old socks, the master bedroom did not. The petting zoo was small but nice (take quarters for corn), the playground at the back 40 was nice for the kids to run around on. Activities were a bit unorganized as to the time that someone actually shows up to start them (e.g. the pony ride). In all the "resort" is best described as a perpetual summer camp. The suites would be perfect if not for the noises and thin walls. The restaurant, with it's high ceilings and large windows would be great, if the food concurred and service approached being reasonable. Nevertheless, we would likely go back for another round since it is much closer than Traverse City, now that our expectations are kept in check.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank dobber4uf
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed April 1, 2012

We visited the Double JJ on a whim March 17&18 2012. The person answering the phone when we called to book our family cabin (here are several other upgrade lodging options)

with horseback riding package pleasantly and efficiently booked the cabin and trail rides for us. Using the address recommended on the website for GPS users, we had no problems locating the ranch or the main building. The check-in was quick and cheerful and we soon found ourselves in our family cabin.

The cabins in the “Back Forty” are serviceable little places, each with their own little front porch, are set in semicircles with other cabins facing a large shared fire ring. The interior of our cabin was clean and rustic. There was plenty of room for 2 adults in a surprisingly large bedroom with a Jacuzzi tub and a king-sized bed and a loft with 2 twin beds that kids are bound to love. Just outside the cabin area is an old western town complete with general store, dance hall, etc. In regular season all these are shops and cafes are open and would probably be pretty fun.

The golf course was challenging, beautiful and, at this time of year at least, blissfully uncrowded. The steak house has a bar and large dining room. The food served on this night was a buffet with a lot of options and pretty good food. The main house has a little store, and several places to get something to eat – with an astounding variety (there is even an espresso bar).

The indoor water park was chock full of happy paddlers, splashers both young and old. I have to admit I was tempted but really felt an adult-only time was what it would take for me to actually go in. The outdoor park was not open yet but looked pretty cool.

We did 2 trail rides – those came with the cost of our room. These were booked to go out with all the other folks who signed up and the wranglers were an astoundingly cheerful and efficient bunch. The horses appeared to be very well cared for and matched to the ability and weight of its rider. The riders exit together then are split off into ride or canter groups. We were the only ones opting for a canter ride so we split off with our own wrangler at a fork in the road and enjoyed a relaxing ride through the ranch, passing through the Wicked Ranch which I hear is an outstanding event every October. You can book private trail rides for a little extra and I’d say that would be your best bet for a well-rounded and personalized experience. I would highly recommend this activity.

The property boasts a number of other activities (in both winter and summer) that intrigue me. This is definitely a place for families but there is enough here to entertain adults as well. I think we were the only people there without kids but that mostly meant that the things we did were less crowded, which was nice.

How this all works in the high season might be another story, but my shoulder season visit was quite pleasant. Give it a two-day/one night try.

Room Tip: Quiet time is 11pm so don't expect absolute silence.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AngieB253
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Amazing views, great customer service, lots of fun stuff for the whole family, and all for a fair price! The kids absolutely LOVED the indoor water park while my partner and I thoroughly relaxed in our beautiful condo that overlooked the golf course and lake! We had lots of fun discovering all the cool stuff the Double JJ has to offer. Some areas are dirt roads and have a real "back woods" feel to it which is great for the adventurous Michiganian but not necessarily for the up-do and painted nails folks.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank TravellingFamily65
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this review, March 20, 2012
Howdy Travelling Family!
We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your visit to the Double JJ Resort, and we appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences! We do our best to exceed the expectations of each & every guest who stays at the resort, and are always pleased to hear positive feedback, which I will be sure to pass along to our staff!
We look forward to seeing you back again!
Wyoming, Michigan
Reviewed March 18, 2012

I had been told to not go here because of the bad accommodations but I had found a coupon and decided to try it out ourselves. We were supposed to go with many other family members and I am so glad that no one else came with us or I would have been embarrassed to have made the suggestion. The place is just plain rundown...chipped paint everywhere, including paint from the floor of the waterpark sticking to my feet everywhere...gross! Motel walls so thin that my kids were exposed to numerous swearing rants from the people next door to us, received numerous bug bites on my back both nights while we were sleeping, The eggs at breakfast had so many shells in them that I actually had to leave the table to go upchuck them in the bathroom. My kids had fun as we hid all of the bad problems from them so they could have a good time, but I will definitely never go again, nor will I second guess anyone who tries to steer me away from a place again. I am soooo disappointed since this was our only chance at a family "vacation" this year.

Room Tip: stay somewhere else
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank KristinW456
Thank you for providing your valuable feedback regarding your experience while visiting our resort. We strive to make every guest interaction an excellent experience, and I can see that we missed this mark with your stay. Our Resort has gone under many renovations & upgrades over the past three years, and will continue to make improvements due to feedback we have received from guests like yourself. Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay, and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Rothbury hotels

, Kentucky, United States
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Nothing like depicted on web. We were refused for shuttle service every time we called. Our kids awakened at6am every morning by kids running halls screaming. Rooms nothing like depicted on web. Water park bath/changing rooms absolutely disgusting. Advertised as resort more like tenant farm.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Nursemommy327
MD
Reviewed March 5, 2012

We spent the weekend and had a wonderful time. The hotel room was clean and huge! The waterpark was well run and fun. The sleigh ride was excellent. We found the staff to be helpful and professional,We will be going again. We enjoyed the breakfast buffett.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank HyattsvilleFolks
DoubleJJResort, Public Relations Manager at Double JJ Resort, responded to this review, March 12, 2012
Howdy HyattsvilleFolks!
We look forward to seeing you back again!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rothbury
Dunes Waterfront Resort
#1 of 5 in Whitehall
Holiday Inn Muskegon
Holiday Inn Muskegon
#4 of 12 in Muskegon

Been to Double JJ Resort? Share your experiences!