“Not what we expected”

Holiday Inn Express Roseville
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Roseville
Reviewed September 12, 2011

We went to Detroit for a celebration of the life of my brother. My husband and I drove from Florida and spent 3 nights. Check in was awful- the clerk spent 15 minutes talking about the weather with the ladies in fromt of me. We were very disappointed with the entire weekend. They advertised a hot continental breakfast. Well there was nothing but a bit of dry cereal, a few bagels and occasionally a few cinnamon rolls. Attendants in the breakfast area were rude. The room wasn't serviced 1 of the daysThe walk in rate was less than my AAA rate and I am a Hilton Honors member.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank chippy12

Reviewed August 11, 2011

My family and I stayed here for a wedding which was booked by the grooms family. If it had not been arranged ahead of time, we certainly would not have stayed. Elevator broke down twice while we were there. The breakfast was only food not prepared on site ( They must have had the health dept. close them down). My cousin tripped in the lobby falling hard on her knee with personal at the desk and no one even came to ask how she was. The bedding was never changed or even straighted and we had to ask for towels. And to top it off, my sister and niece went outside for cigarette and 3 rats ran out. and a rat trap was set by the door. Don't waste your time or money at this place!

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 28, 2011

I have found the Holiday Inn Express to be fairly consistently good worldwide. This hotel is the exception though. Tiny bedroom window overlooking a cemetry and drab decor. On a three night stay room wasn't serviced one night. Everybody knows hotels charge a fortune for international phone calls so I asked the front desk what was the cost per minute to Canada. She said she had no idea so I asked if she could find out. No she said the only was to find out was to make the call and see what cost was put on my bill. Breakfast free but poor. Finally charged me twice for one night and had some inconvenience getting the charge reversed. There are many other hotels in the Detroit area so no need to choose this one.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank NorthSimon
Reviewed May 24, 2011

I was in town for a dance competition. We made a reservation online with a $72 per night rate. We reserved two rooms.

When we arrived the first thing I noticed was the landscaping. The grass or should I say weeds was up to my knees! We walked into the lobby and it smelled like a mix of sewer and mildew. There was a sign posted that said pool closed. Part of the reason we booked was for the pool. They told us that the pool would be open by Saturday. We went to our room and it smelled like smoke so bad we had to have them switch us. I am a smoker myself and it was bothering me as well as my nephew with asthma. We switched rooms and the new room was decent. Carpet and furniture was a little worn out but that wasnt a big deal.
The next day comes and the pool did not open. If u looked through the pool room window, the water was blue, clear and had a filter running. Other ppl from my dance studio who stayed there were told we would receive $10 per day off or a free night stay sometime.
Anyways while on the elevator I noticed the filthy handprints with something smeared on the stainless steal and trash and wrappers on the floor. In the glass case where u would usually see an operating license there was a sign that said it was "on file in the managers office"
After arriving back to the hotel late Saturday night we seen our room had not been cleaned. Instead there was a note that read "if you need anything please call signed housekeeping" and 4 of our pops were missing lol! wow! Who does that?
The next morning my bill was by my door at a rate of $92 per night. I called down and told the girl that my reservation was for $72 per night plus we were supposed to receive $10 per night off. She asked us to bring down the email confirmation so we did. She then argued because it said $144 per night! This was because we booked two rooms! It was a total of the two rooms. After about 5 mins of explaining it she finally got it. We left for competition.
We arrived back to the hotel at 11am to get our things and check out. Right around noon I went to get a cart only to find the elevator down. I called down to the front desk and was told they were on the phone and trying to get it fixed. I told the man who answered that I had some things I would need help with because they had to be carried down two flights of stairs. He said " well I don't know what to tell you about that"
I carried what I could down stairs. I went to the desk to check out. He printed my bill stared at it for 3 mins then said u are all set. I said actually I'm not I have a heavy suitcase and cooler that I can't bring down and I need help. He again said he couldn't help me and would not help me. After arguing he said should I make you a new key? I said I wanted to speak to the manager. There was not one on duty!! I told him to call so he did. I put what I had in my car, came back inside and he was whispering on the phone. I went upstairs and grabbed the heavy cooler. While transferring my things down two flights of stairs I slipped on the very last one and twisted or jammed my back really hard. As I arrived near the front desk he sarcastically asked if I had anything else he could help me with. I told him I wanted a complaint form and incident report. He asked why and I told him I slipped. He didnt ask if I was ok or needed medical attention. He called someone and was asking where forms were. Every time he spoke to this person on the phone he would go around the corner and whisper. He ended up calling the general manager since the one on call wouldn't call back. She told him to give me a blank piece of paper and write down what happened. He told me that I wasn't entitled to a copy because incident reports are an internal form only and just the hotel got to keep it??? Haha
Anyways I wrote what happened and also made a list of complaints. The whole time I was doing this he was saying rude things to me. He agreed to give me a copy but refused to sign either of these "reports". While all of this was taking place 4 different ppl were complaining while checking out. They were all extremely mad.
The fire extinguisher all had a 2009-2010 tag on them and when I asked to see the elevator operating license he said I could not!
I also mentioned that my bill did not show a discount for the pool. He said it was my fault because I didn't give him a chance to offer it? Then 5 mins later he said that he didn't know I had a deal offered? So which one was it??
It is now Tuesday night and the manager who was supposed to call me Monday morning has yet to call.
This is not a hotel that is owned by holiday inn! This is independently owned by Roseville hospitality!
Needless to say I will NEVER stay there again and this is not over

• Stayed: May 2011
4  Thank jjwallace
Reviewed April 9, 2011

After an unexpectedly stressful day we checked in with nice, friendly, staff waiting. My husband asked about coffee and she said she would make some fresh coffee in the lobby. The room was larger than I expected it be and was very clean (Cleaner than some $200 a night hotels I've stayed in). The shower didn't have a tremendous amount of water pressure but it was sufficent. The breakfast was good. Milk is in individual 1/2 pint containers in a refrigerator so you don't have to worry about spoiled milk. They had omlets, sausage and biscuts and gravy. They also had your normal continental breakfasat items.Had one of the best sleeps of my life in this bed! Very comfy.They also accomodated our request for extra pillows. There is also a computer (business center) that guests can use free of charge. No place to eat on the premises but lots of places nearby. Reasonable vending machine prices in the hotel as well

No place is perfect and this hotel did have a few issues that I considered minor. The pool has adult hours from 9-10pm and no one under 21 is allowed, however it was full of kids. I didn't really feel like swimming so I didn't say anything but I do feel that management would have asked them to follow the rules and leave if I complained. The pool is heated but it's not super warm. Not freezing but not warm. There was also a thumping sound (or something) in the morning- which I think may have been the water running through the pipes. Typical quirky hotel things. Shut the bathroom door and went back to sleep.

I feel like any issues that we had would have been addressed right away but our floor was very quiet. I would reccomend staying on the 2nd or 3rd floor just to avoid the pool and lobby noise.

As a side note, this hotel buts up against a cemetary so our window over looked it. If this creeps you out ask for a room that faces the front (parking lot) of the building.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank dmjohio
Reviewed February 9, 2011

You are paying more to stay here than other hotels for their amentities. Their amentities are worthless. Pool was ice cold and dirty. Hot tub was luke warm and dirty and the jets blew ice cold water at you. Hallways were cold. Fitness center only had 1 treadmill working and I use the term working very loosely. The milk at breakfast was like cottage cheese. It was hard to sleep because of the yelling in the room next door and people playing hopscotch upstairs. So I paid more to stay here than the Baymont Inn because I was told the Holiday Inn had more amentities to enjoy. I did not enjoy paying more for amentities that were not enjoyable. The manager could careless that their clients were unhappy.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank lorrie123_11
Reviewed December 16, 2010

I travelled from LA to Sacramento and stayed at this hotel for a court appearance in Roseville. I called the hotel in advance and asked if I could get taxi service from the hotel to get to court get for an 8:30 a.m. hearing. I was assured that I could and that the court was close to the Hotel. I confirmed all of this in a second call. Based on these representations, I did not rent a car. The day before I checked in I confirmed that a taxi would pick me up at 7:30 a.m. I was assured tht a taxi had been ordered. When I checked in after midnight, I reminded the clerk I needed the taxi at 7:30 a.m. Again, I was told the taxi was ordered. The next morning, when the taxi was not there at 7:40 a.m., I asked the clerk to call the taxi company. She did. She said the taxi would be there in ten minutes. At 7:55 I asked her to call again. This time no one answered. She made other calls, but was unable to find a taxi who could get to the hotel in less than a half hour. I asked if the hotel had a shuttle. They did not. I aked to speak with the manager. None on duty. I asked who at the hotel could drive me to court. The clerk did not drive and the only other person there was a maid. At 8:10 a.m. I convinced the maid to take me to court. I made my court hearing with seconds to spare. Needless to say the stress was overwhelming for myself, the clerk and the maid. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone. I counted on the hotel's assurances and when the taxi did not show up the hotel provided me with no other options. Although the clerk and maid were very kind, the manager never called or tried to rectify the problem. Very unprofessional.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled on business
4  Thank myrnalouise
Also consider these accommodations in or near Roseville
Hampton Inn Detroit Roseville
Hampton Inn Detroit Roseville
#1 of 2 in Clinton Township
Baymont Inn & Suites Detroit/roseville
Extended Stay America - Detroit - Roseville
Quality Inn And Suites Detroit Warren Tech Center
Red Roof Inn Detroit St Clair Shores
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Detroit North - Troy

Been to Holiday Inn Express Roseville? Share your experiences!