“terrible place to stay”

Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Leamington
“terrible place to stay”
Reviewed February 16, 2009

We have stayed at the Clarion Hotel on two occasions. The first time our stay was okay so we thought we would give the hotel a second chance. We were very disappointed with the hotel in general. The hotel is under renovations and the hallways were as cold as being outside. We were told that we could leave our car at the hotel and when we came back from our vacation we learned that it had been towed to the Park & Fly parking lot. We were assured by the staff that it was fine to leave our car there at the hotel. Both my husband and myself were very upset and I can assure you that I would not stay here again nor would I recommend this hotel to any of my family or friends.

Stayed January 2009
2 Thank LeamingtonGrumpy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Mackinaw City, Michigan
Reviewed February 13, 2009

My boyfriend and I booked this hotel because we needed a place to nap after a long plane ride. When we checked in at 6 am, we found sand and holes in the sheets. We called for sheets and then after two phone calls to the desk, two trips to the other side of the hotel for the lobby, two more sets of sheets and an hour later...still not a clean set. We also found mold in the corner of the room, peeling wall paper, a broken bath tub stopper, a broken light switch and filth on everything. When I spoke to the manager at check out she said that I was being demanding. We paid for a full night stay, only slept for 5 hrs and had to check out. Never had clean sheets and met the rudest manager by far. She then told me that we did not allow the front desk the opportunity to correct the situation.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lovergirl_946
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed December 13, 2008

It seems that some people expect a Hilton but want to pay the Motel 6 rate. The Clarion probably comes close price-wise, but it's not a 5 star hotel so if you expect that you'll be disappointed.

I expected a standard Choice chain hotel and I wasn't let down. Ample parking, friendly check-in staff, long yet clean corridors to my room, quiet, clean and fairly comfortable.

Granted, the room furniture was far from new and the wallpaper peeled slightly in a couple of places. Everything worked though, including hot water and pressure. My biggest annoyance was the running toilet; just because it wastes water.

The hotel has airport shuttle and is 10 minutes from the terminals. If you're on a budget and don't consider the hotel to be your destination this will do just fine.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
lexington
Reviewed October 8, 2008

Actually this place or I should say the room in which I stayed was fine, maybe I got lucky. I did not book this room for my office staff did it for me without reading the previous reviews. It appears that some rooms have new carpet or a very deep cleaning. The bed was actually comfortable and though some things were dated they seemed to be in good shape. The attendant at the desk was very effecient and polite. She allowed me to check in earlier than scheduled which a big plus. I don't know if I'd compare Motel 6 with this place but I'd rather stay here. Overall not bad, have been in much worse and of course better, but for the price it was fine.

• Liked — Easy access to airport!
  • Disliked — Airport noise.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
USA
Reviewed September 14, 2008

well Motel 6 at least leaves the light on for you.
Upon arriving the lights were off and I had let them know and about 10 minutes latter they turned them on.
The parking lot is very dark and don't appear safe although I had no issues.
The room is very musty and damp, the air works but it was so cold I tried to turn on the heat but that don't work at all, no heat even when turning it to 90 degrees. The bedding and curtains are very worn and awaiting a good storm to hit so that they can get replaced.
The bathroom floor is very slick like some soap had been spilled on it. I used a towel to wash the floor.
You may wonder why I did not get another room? On my way to the lobby I was talking to another guest and she said that her room was in the same condition.
I went back to the room and called the front desk and was told they could move me but all the rooms are the same.

I did not have the luxury of saying I wanted to leave because I was told that I used my Choice Privileges points and needed to cancel earlier in the day and it was to late.

All is well in the GHETTO Clarion Hotel, I propped open the room door to the hall until it warmed up some.

Sincerley dont choose this place !!!

• Liked — Excercise, from walking to 3 different ice machines to find no ice then to the bar to get some.
  • Disliked — The room, read above - I did not mention having to fix the toilet so it would flush, the chain fell off.
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mobisman
michigan
Reviewed August 3, 2008

Obviously the MALE employees at this establishment have not been through a harassment classes. After seeing a male employee verbally abuse a female employee today I decided right then I will NEVER stay at another Clarion hotel or any hotel associate with the same corporation.

I did give the young lady the name of a good attorney and STRONGLY suggested she call them.

I was appalled at the way she was spoke to and treated.

Shameful!!!!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
CT
Reviewed April 30, 2008

I'm a pilot and my airline has a contract with this hotel, so I stay here quite often. I was surprised by all the negative sentiment about this place, I stay at ALOT of hotels and this place is at least average, if not above, especially for the price.

For me, the best part of this hotel is the cleaning crew. If you notice in the morning, they leave the doors open of all the rooms that people have checked out of while they clean them. They actually change the sheets of every room, every night, and you can see them doing it. This sounds like something for granted, but many dubious hotels in this class recycle sheets and pillows. It's not a big secret.

The rooms are furnished better than an average 2* hotel. Bed is good, 25" TV has a good selection of stations..

Wifi internet is cheap and always works, and fast.

Free breakfast is quite good, and goes until 10am (rare).

The gals at the front desk have always been friendly, even at odd hours of the day or night.

Bad -
No elivators if you get a room on the second floor.

The hallways have an odd mildew/take-out food/smoke smell. Very 1980's smell and overall feel.

Whoever designed the floor plan must have been on LSD, the place is a total maze, and hard to get around sometimes.

Overall this place is fine, especially if you can get a good rate.

• Liked — value
  • Disliked — old feel
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled on business