“Extreme lack of soundproofing”

Clarion Hotel Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We've stayed at several park and fly hotels and this one didn't measure up whatsoever in terms of soundproofing.
We fully expect to hear airplanes due to the hotel's vicinity to Metro Airport. However, we didn't expect to hear a great deal of noise, all night long, from the adjoining rooms, hallway, and parking lot. I would have never imagined that a hotel could have such shoddy soundproofing.
The park and fly service was fine and our room was clean. However, because of the soundproofing problem, there's nothing that will draw us back for a repeat stay.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CaribbeanDiva

Reviewed August 18, 2013

The desk clerk at check in was professional, friendly and helpful. The room was clean and very nice. The televisions need updating to flat screens like the Ann Arbor and other choice hotels I have stayed in. We couldn't even plug in our dvd player. Other Clarions and Choice hotels offered free hot breakfasts but this one charged $ 5.95.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Cynthia H, Manager at Clarion Hotel Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give us feedback on your stay at the Clarion! I would like to take the opportunity and apologizing for the inconvenience of not having the updated televisions! We are actually getting all plasma TV’s this week, so each room will be updated with the brand new TV! We hope to see you again in the near future!

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here after I had a layover flight canceled. Delta routed me here after a canceled flight and the receptionist was very nice and had me checked into a room in under 3 or 4 minutes. After getting some food at the restaurant inside which was much better than the airplane food I was getting. Went upstairs and after a 11 hour flight and 3 more hours on the tarmac I was ready for some sleep. Room was clean as well as the sheets. Slept Well, quiet room. Coffee maker in the room which was good. Free breakfast from Delta at their restaurant for my troubles and a free shuttle to the airport at 15 minute intervals. All in all not a bad stay, I just spent most of my stay there sleeping.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback of your stay here at the Clarion! We are pleased to know that you had a great night’s sleep!! We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

This hotel is good for its price range: a not-so-great continental breakfast was included (with the upgrade to hot breakfast buffet being cheap, 5$ or so) and wifi was included, the room was spacious and clean. The only downsides: (i) the communication with the hotel was not great (I sent them two emails to inquire about something and never received a response) and (ii) the shuttle pick-up from the airport was very slow even after calling them (I only needed to wait 25 minutes ,but others waited 1 hr)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2013

We stayed two evenings in the Detroit area, and chose this hotel based on price. It is located very near the Detroit airport, you will hear the planes leaving and landing. The rooms are spacious and clean. The hotel staff was helpful. There is a nice offering for breakfast, but patrons should be careful as it is made available in the hotel's restaurant, and a hot breakfast buffet that is $5.99 is set up right at the end of the free breakfast offerings. Our stay was very pleasant, and we did not experience any of the issues that others expressed in some of their reviews.

Room Tip: If traveling with lots of luggage, request a first floor room. The hotel has a second floor and the...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank PAboyinFL
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

It's so disappointing to pull up to a huge property, walk inside and see a pretty lobby and everything goes down hill from there.
It's not terrible, but its just tired and basic.
Check in was friendly and efficient. And most of the time the staff are pleasant and are just working in a place not very well cares for.. So it's a bonus when staff make up for the disappointment of the place.
There is no elevator and with luggage and bags, the last thing I want to do in carry my flight bags up a stairway.
The rooms are dingy, but clean.
The bed and sheets were fresh and comfortable.
Breakfast was complimentary but nothing special.
The pool was a plus, clean and plenty of chairs. I'd say it was crazy cold... But that just sounds like I'm miserable!
I do try to be fair, but this hotel could be really great.
I'm in hotels three nights a week-it doesn't take much to make guests feel welcomed.
This place just lacks the extra touch.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank njafares
Reviewed July 13, 2013

Hotel is close to airport just off main road. Room was clean and comfortable. Staff had light and A/C on when I got to room. Nice touch and welcoming.

However, hotel has no elevator and floorplan is unusual, making you walk around to get to your room.

Continental breakfast was OK but plates for hot breakfast are first in line and give impression that it is included. Could be costly mistake. Staff was friendly but they needed to keep on top of coffee brewing. Cleaning cart blocked me from my table when I went to get butter.

Better hotel than the other, more expensive Choice Hotel (Comfort Inn) - better room and cleaner.

• Stayed: June 2013