“Do not stay here!”

Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Toledo, Ohio
“Do not stay here!”
Reviewed December 27, 2007

The carpet was FILTHY and it appeared that no one swept any closer than 1 foot away from the wall. Dust and dirt piled up around all of the baseboards. The grout in the bathroom was brown and moldy. The bed was sagging on the one side, causing my husband to constantly roll towards the edge. The bedspread needed to be burned. Do yourself a favor and pay the extra money to stay someplace clean and reputable. We both had to shower first thing in the morning to get the hotel's scum off of us. This is not an exaggeration. I felt "itchy" the next morning.

Stayed December 2007
2 Thank LovingLasVegas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed September 25, 2007

This seems to be Northwest's "official" misconnect hotel. If you can get the airline to pick up the tab, they pay the Clarion $39 and you stay for free.

Under such circumstances, you'll probably be happy to have a bed for the night. I know I was. But if I had a chance to choose my hotel, I'd probably go a bit more upscale.

Why? A common problem with "budget" hotels -- their clientele. On the Monday night I was stuck there, groups of young adults congregated throughout the hotel, obviously in party mode. Indeed, on the ground floor, I detected the distinct aroma of marijuana wafting through the hallway. When I got to my room, there was a party next door. It took 2 calls to the front desk to get the music turned down.

Not sure if this clientele is a common problem here, or whether it was my "lucky" night. Otherwise, the hotel is fine for its class. Rooms dated but adequate. Decent looking pool. Free continental breakfast better than what I would expect (plenty of selection, at least first thing in the morning). Airport shuttle ran every 20 minutes, and was prompt and courteous. You could do worse. And if there's no party next door to you, you might actually be reasonably satisfied if you stay there for free courtesy of Northwest. Otherwise, the hotel isn't worth much more than the $39 Northwest is paying.

Stayed September 2007
3 Thank Dave's_reviews
Pa
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Terrible hotel, terrible service! Would not stay again! Would not recommend to others! Smokey smelling throughout first floor due to bar area. Continental breakfast was a joke!!!! Went for breakfast at 0700 they were already out of waffle mix and the toaster had broken earlier and they didn't have a spare. But the breakfast that was an additional $6 was full to the brim. Very rude staff in dining area and at check-out. Beds were also a joke, mattresses were so old springs were coming through and they squeked with every turn. Be warned don't book with this hotel unless all you are looking for is a roof over your head and you don't mind paying an arm and a leg for it!

• Liked — Leaving it!
  • Disliked — Having to stay there.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank paluvsnyc
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2007

Our NWA flight was late so we missed our connector. Good for NWA to do something, we got vouchers too. Very good customer service there. Everything seemed OK with the hotel and I have no room complaints. There was 1 staff during a night of bad weather, check in took up to 30 minutes if you were in the back of the shuttle. You'd think they could see this coming. We had a 6 month old and asked for a crib (good thing we got 2 beds). We were completely ignored. It is true, no elevator.

So they are at about 3 star until the morning. The main shuttle broke down and all they had was a bog van. Flight crews get forst priority and it is only every 30 minutes. So there we are at 7:05am- my wife, the baby and I - for our 9am flight. Front desk tells us to wait for the 7:30 shuttle. Fine, but then all kind sof air crews showed up at like 7:29 and all got first priority! I missed that one and begged for a cab. She said the trip is too short and won't do it so I told her to tell the cab company I'd pay $20 for it, I had to make my flight, and she didn't even try! Ridiculous...made my flight by 5 minutes...thanks for the stress Clarion!

• Stayed August 2007
4 Thank raveman2001
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 6, 2007

My family stayed at this property during the weekend of July 20-22, 2007, which appeared to be super busy for the hotel. The hotel was hosting 3 family reunions while accomodating distressed travelers, who were stranded due to inclement weather. Throughout all of the hustle and bustle the staff remained pleasant & did their best to accommodate the needs of all of their guests. The lobby was beautiful, very inviting & warm. The rooms were comfortable, but could probably go for a remodel in the near future. The shuttle service to/from the airport was very prompt. The walls were rather thin, so we could hear a lot of private conversations as we walked through the hallway. The continental breakfast was nice & fulfilling however, you're given the option to pay for a hot breakfast buffet which offered a very limited selection but for the price of $5.95, one can't complain. Overall I had a pleasant stay and if I were to visit the area again, I would consider staying at the Clarion.

• Liked — the bed was COMFORTABLE
  • Disliked — furniture was a little worn...could use some upgrades
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank alwayzready2travel
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed July 17, 2007

Got this hotel when NWA cancelled my flight. First thing we noticed -No elevator. For people with lots of luggage, not a good thing. The HVAC system is noisy and the fan never shuts off - even when the switch is in the off position.

If you can get NWA to get you a different free hotel, take it. Otherwise, you may not have much choice. My advice is to avoid NWA altogether.

• Liked — Free wireless internet
  • Disliked — No elevator
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
Greece, New York
Reviewed March 21, 2007

flew into dtw found out flight was cancled nwa put us up here. the bed was hard and rather dusty room with out clother it was a place to rest your head better than the airport floor. have to say it was a older hotel but was ok from a scale from 1 to10 i give it a 5. shuttle driver both ways were great. a free night its better than a shape stick in the eye.

• Liked — a place to rest
  • Disliked — older hotel
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family