Howard Johnson Romulus Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
“Poor”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

Nasty reception. Pool "not open till the weekend". This is Friday 7:00 pm. Reserved first floor and were told "there is nothing available" and was corralled to third floor. Will NEVER stay here again!

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Arabic first
Goderich, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2013

When staying at this hotel you need to understand what you are getting. You are getting a budget hotel room, free continental breakfast and 7 days parking at adjacent Airlines Parking for $69.99 (Airlines Parking alone is a $50 value and worth every penny - not part of hotel review but Airlines Parking is the best parking service at airport - virtually 0 wait time at car pick up and airline pickup)

Back to the hotel:
Budget hotel room - clean and safe - much cleaner then when this was a Ramada Inn - they seem to be slowly renovating the property. Sheets and towels adequate but budget. The staff at the front desk had difficulty with our reservations (we actually had three rooms reserved but only two were showing up on her system - she tried to blame the problem on me buy it was a problem at either Wyndham end or her end as I had two reservations - one with park and fly and one for two other rooms - the second was only showing one room) Despite the fact I showed her confirmed reservation printout for two rooms she was not too accomodating at first and tried to really overcharge me. Once I calmed down she did to and we came up with an acceptable arrangement for the third room that cost me about $5 more then the original reservation so all OK in the end. By the way even with airplanes going over hotel in landings the room on first floor was very quiet - only heard planes when went outside.

Breakfast - above average continental breakfast. Nice large area to eat and the breakfast was well stocked with waffle maker, bagels, toast, cereal, some fruit, watered down orange juice and bad coffee. But overall it started our day well on our way to airport park n fly / trip.
Parking - The Airlines parking lot is virtually adjacent this hotel (not sure what others are complaining about) and as I said above is an excellent service with almost 0 waiting time at either end. They follow and pick you up at car, drive you to airport and when you get back are almost every time in my experience at curb or there in less then 5 minutes to get you back to car. I have used many parking services at DTW and they are the best in my opinion.

Another Note: There is a very nice almost adjacent Bob Evans that we visited around 9:00pm for a late night snack - very nice restaurant with good service

Overall: To get a $50 value one week parking pass included in the $69.99 room means you are essentially getting a room and breakfast for $19.99. That is why I say good value - where can you stay and get breakfast in an airport area for $19.99. I live in Ontario and if I was looking for a similar deal to fly out of Toronto it would be minimum $129 without as good of service. I will be using this location for my future park and fly needs.

Room Tip: Some ground floor rooms have motel like parking right outside the room - I liked that for luggage tr...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank like2travellots
Columbus
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Stayed last year n went back again this year as I found the hotel staff very friendly n gave 100% to help in anyway they could. I will be back again. Thanks Ho Jo. Mike F. Columbus, Ohio

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Howard Johnson

1 Thank Michael F
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I usually don't write reviews but this hotel is value for money.I Saw negative reviews but my stay was very pleasant.The hotel is very near to the Airport.It just took me 5 Mins to reach airport from the hotel.staff was very courteous.And breakfast was decent before taking my flight from Detroit.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Nish_J1
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I arrived late night and check in was prompt .The front desk were polite and customer service was great. The room was pleasant and cable was good.I am picky about bed sheets and was happy to see that the bed sheets were like new. In the morning they had waffles,muffins,oatmeal and fruits.the wifi had good connection and had no problem using skype. Overall for the price and excellent stay this is the best option near the airport.I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business