“Sickening!”

Detroit Metro Airport Marriott
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 11, 2014

90% of my reviews are positive, however I feel that I must warn others who are booking this hotel in the next few weeks. The hotel is undergoing a much needed, major renovation. The friendly front desk clerk informed me of this at check-in. I usually stay at Livonia Marriott but with a 6am flight, I chose this one. I am a Platinum member and was told the concierge level was moved to the 1st floor and that Gold and Platinum guests were being put on the first floor. OK--no problem. On my trip to the relocated Concierge lounge at 5:30pm I noticed a very strong, pungent order of paint thinner or varnish in the lobby. The concierge lounge was just off the lobby and I noticed the poor woman staffing it had a mask available. She was not feeling well. After 5 minutes, I began to suffer a headache. I am an ex public health nurse and I am very concerned about the staff having to work with such poor ventilation and air quality. I am a creature of habit and usually order a cocktail and dinner at the bar. No way--the odor was too strong, actually nauseating! The staff were all wonderful but I could tell that they were not comfortable wth the working conditions. The front desk manager "comped" my dinner which I had to eat in my room. I feel like a prisoner tonight but I am too tired to switch hotels. I have stayed here before and it is a decent hotel. I am advising NOT to stay here until the renovations are complete. Sorry to say this, as I am a loyal Platinum member. I do not feel this is a safe environment during the construction. Call first. Hoping my headache goes away!

Room Tip: If you must stay here, try to get as far away from the construction as possible.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Grey_Goose_Up
Emily C, Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2014

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and discomfort during your stay. There's nothing more important to us than making sure you feel at home. I can assure you that your safety and the safety of our team was at the top of our minds.

We know the next time you visit Detroit, you'd be truly wowed with our comfortable rooms and new updates. We hope to see you again soon.

Best,
Brandi S., Manager

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I stayed at the Marriott at DWT because they offered a park & fly package. I arrived a much later than expected to checking. By 10:30 pm parking with tight. Me and my child had to almost park in the rear of the hotel. I thought the parking lot could have used morel lighting. We were quickly checked in and given a 1st floor room. The room was average, but the bed was very comfortable. The next day we went across the street to park and had to the airport for our flight. It was a nice stay with a good price that included up to 1 week paid parking (in the adjacent lot).

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2014

found this hotel by chance on a winter's night , snow stor arival to dtw, and didn't want to drive home. Almost checked into the courtyard next door, then happened to spy this one. What a welcomed surprise. The frond desk staff was more than helpful.

Room Tip: found the rooms quiet, very comfortable and cosu!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Emily C, Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Hi, Gloriana! I'm so glad that we could welcome you in during a snow storm. This winter was brutal, wasn't it? I can only imagine how stressful it was to be stuck at the airport. The next time you're traveling out of DTW, we'd love to see you back at the Detroit Metro Airport Marriott!

Best,
Brandi S., Manager

Reviewed May 13, 2014

Our company recently hosted an event at the Detroit Metro Airport Marriott. The staff was wonderfully accomodating at check-in, pleasant, smiling and ready to help us set-up. The large event room was the perfect location for our reception and the food was presented perfectly for our group of professionals. When we discovered that we were missing some name-tags, the staff was able to contact the hotel general manager who quickly offered what he had, ultimately saving the day. The hotel rooms were also nice. Clean, well appointed and comfortable. Overall, a perfect place to combine business and pleasure.

Room Tip: Second floor rooms appear to be under construction, however, there was no noise in the evening and n...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Emily C, Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

I'm thrilled to hear that you and your group enjoyed the event. It sounds like our team took excellent care of you, which is wonderful. After all, it's our job to make your day as easy as possible! The next time you're hosting an event around Metro Detroit, be sure to keep us in mind.

Take care,
Brandi, Front Desk Manager

Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is a full service Marriott that is showing it's age. I was on the third floor facing the front entrance, so it was pretty quiet. The bed and work area in the room are quite comfortable. Cool Irish pub in the hotel, and an excellent breakfast (for $14 plus tip mind you). The people are very friendly and helpful. There are some things typical of older hotels that need to be mentioned: Not enough plugs in the rooms, noisy air conditioner, charge for internet, etc. One big issue that I can't understand is that they have beautiful 42" flat screen TVs in the rooms, but don't provide HDTV channels? That seems like short money to improve the experience. If you are on business (and an expense account) this hotel is good. If you want to eat a little cheaper, there isn't much to choose from nearby except for a Bob Evans down the road. Not a bad experience at all, just not great.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Michael G
Elisabeth D, Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2014

Michael G,

I want to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I especially want to thank you for your high rating and kind words of our overall service. It is certainly the service we excel at here with the limitations we face with operating an older property.

I am happy to inform you of current renovations which will take our product to a new level and will include more plugs/outlets, as well as updated and modern guest rooms. We truly appreciate the feedback you give to us, and aim to improve and provide to you a brilliant experience with us!

Reviewed April 14, 2014

This was our 4th stay at this property and I'm not sure that I will return. In order to give an accurate review, I'm going to break this out into sections.

Staff:
Amazing. So helpful and friendly. We had to switch room types last minute and it was no problem. Our friend's flight plans got messed up and they needed a last minute room which was no problem. Same friend forgot an item and Adam at the front desk helped us box it up. Every staff person we encountered was friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. The staff alone makes me say "maybe" on returning.

Rooms:
Tired. They do have boards up by the elevators showing remodel plans. This cannot happen soon enough! Although I did not find the décor itself offensive, our room was NOT well maintained. I took a Kleenex to the dust on the bathroom exhaust fan. Our room also had evidence of extensive water damage (I think) on the walls -- which bubbly wallpaper and flaking pieces. Not at all what you expect from a full service Marriott.

Common areas:
The pool area needs some serious TLC. I'm not talking a remodel/redecorate, I'm talking someone really looking around and cleaning it up. There's extensive chipped paint. There's dirt in the corners. . . it just looks grungy. Again, not what I'd expect from a full service Marriot at all.

We did have drinks/apps in the irish pub and were happy with our food quality and the service. We also had breakfast there as well and it was very nice on both accounts mentioned above.

I'm a Marriott fan and really really want to like this property, but unless they clean it up, I'm not sure that I'd return:(

Room Tip: They are remodeling soon so I would specify a remodeled room when reserving.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank carribeancruising
Elisabeth D, Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2014

Thank you for taking time out of your day to provide us with this very valuable feedback.

I would like to thank your your wonderful comments in regards to the staff overall service of both the outlets and front office. We pride ourselves on providing an outstanding service and appreciate the positive comments regarding this.

As you too are anxious for the upcoming renovations, we cannot be more excited to share with you newly remodeled rooms, public space, restaurant, business center, concierge lounge, and even, Starbucks! The end of summer will complete the transformation process and we hope that your loyalty and trust in Marriott will be regained with us. If I can be of further assistance to you on any future plans, please do not hesitate to reach out to me!

Elisabeth D.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

I found the Guestrooms to be clean and Comfortable, The staff very friendly only a stones throw from the Airport, I agree the Rooms are a little dated , But I did see a few Boards placed by the elevators that are showing a good amount of Changes on the Way , And was informed the Hotel is almost ready to get a Renovation.

Room Tip: Breakfast Buffet was $13.00 Great deal
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank JMB-1952
Elisabeth D, Manager at Detroit Metro Airport Marriott, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

I hope you will be back following our much anticipated renovation due to begin next week! If there is anything I can do for you on your next travel plans, please feel free to reach out to me.

Elisabeth

Also consider these accommodations in or near Romulus
Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport
Hampton Inn and Suites Detroit/Airport-Romulus
Radisson Hotel Detroit Metro Airport
The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Comfort Inn Metro Airport
Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport

Been to Detroit Metro Airport Marriott? Share your experiences!