“Sheraton, this is not!”

Four Points by Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #16 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed June 10, 2011

Pros: close to airport
Cons:
A. You can hear / feel every flight taking off
B. Rooms are DIRTY!
C. Cigarette burns on the blanket
D. Found dead bugs in the bathroom
E. On average interactions, the bartender is the only friendly staff. The rest all act like they are constipated.

• Stayed: June 2011

Reviewed June 8, 2011

Visiting a particular city frequently affords one the chance to try many hotels in the area. I've been vising Detroit for years, and after many hotels, THIS is the one I come back to most.

Location: Downtown in 25 minutes. Airport in 5 minutes. Ford Museum, 15 minutes. It's just off I-64 and close to I-75.

Amenities & staff: Excellent food in the restaurant - you don't have to go out to have a nice dinner. The pool is nice and very well kept (full disclosure: I haven't yet had a swim but I did a walk-through of the area). Exercise room is not huge but everything works and it's clean. The staff are friendly and helpful -- and very efficient, which get them big bonus points in my books.

Price & value: Under a hundred bucks for an "airport hotel". Can't beat it. Free parking, free internet, free bottled water in the room (a little thing but a big plus).

You can easily pay well over $50 dollars more in the area and get a lot less. This is the place I keep going back to in Detroit.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed May 23, 2011

Oh my, as an airline employee I travel all the time and this is the worst hotel experience I have had. No exaggerating. First it took them 45 mins to pick me up at the airport, after a red eye flight, at 7am. After 4 phone calls, one of them from my job, I was finally picked up. The shuttle driver did not offer to help me with my bag. Once in my room I had to sleep during the day, as I had just worked the red eye flight. The curtains were terrible. They stuck out from the wall about 8 inches and they were not just 2 pieces like normal curtains where you pull them together, there were 4 pieces so they didn't match up well with each other and light flooded the room. Not good when you need it to be dark. No big deal, I got out my eye mask. Then as I went to shower, there was no hot water. After a call to the front desk, I was given access to the room next door which also had no hot water. Showerless I reported to the lobby 10 mins early for my 6:00pm shuttle back to the airport, which I had confirmed at 4:30. At 6:15 the shuttle finally arrives, that goodness I had figured out their promptness that morning and left plenty of time to return for my flight. Not only was this a problem for me, but my roommate, who has the same job as I, stayed here a week later and had issues as well. Her's was a man trying to come into her room after being assigned the room she was in. So no rest for her, and being woken up by a man trying to enter the room. They have a lot to work on at this hotel. Stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
3  Thank stephola18
Reviewed March 14, 2011

We stayed here for one night with friends before flying out of DTW. Rooms were clean and spacious and the service was great. We stayed here mainly so we could do the park and fly and it was worth it. You have to drive your car just across the street after checking out of the hotel in the morning to the secure parking lot and there was a shuttle there waiting to take us to the airport. Overall, the hotel was nice and convenient.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank auzigirl03
Reviewed February 28, 2011

I stayed here last night after getting bumped from a flight on my layover in Detroit. The hotel is about five mins from the airport and when I called to get a shuttle they told me just to wait out front because their shuttles run all the time. Sure enough, there was one waiting when I got outside. I was very thankful at check-in that they had a charger for my Blackberry since I didn't have mine on me, not realizing I wouldn't be home that night. The room was fine for an airport hotel with a comfortable bed and flat-screen TV. My one complaint -- no one mentioned they only run shuttles to the terminal every half hour in the morning and not "all the time" like they had said the night before. I came down stairs at exactly 6:31 am and was told the shuttle just pulled away and I'd have to wait 30 mins. My flight left in an hour. In a panic, I had them call a cab. A town car showed up 18 precious mins later and charged me $20 for the 5-min ride. I got caught in a long security line and then ran like OJ to my gate, boarding last just before they shut the doors. Whew!

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 15, 2011

Stayed here when a connecting flight was cancelled. Nice decor, friendly staff, comfy beds, good value. My only complaint would be that the soundproofing isn't great--you can hear the jets roaring overhead.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Checked into the Four Points Detroit airport for a two night stay. I was actually excited, as the reviews were generally quite positive. A SPG Platinum, my expectations were zero for any upgrade, however the experience actually did not even meet my zero expectations. This was actually my first ever stay at a Four Points.

First, the positives: Bed comfortable-large pillows versus Sheraton's typical small pillows. Guest requests for extra towels/pillows very fast on two occasions. Speakman shower head was good. Room was clean. Free Water.

Everything else: Room rather beat up, especially the doors; room did not seem kept up very well, except for the cleanliness. Small, but reasonably laid out bathroom with lots of mirrors.

Restaurant food is mediocre at best and the service is absolutely lousy. I was there during a big snowstorm, and even though they were overstaffed and slightly busy, it took forever to get any service, get an order in and get a check, and get a duplicate check. Why Starwood doesn't issue duplicate restaurant checks is beyond me. Anyway, it was like this for two breakfasts and a dinner. Not impressed, and few choices in the area to eat unless you try another hotel restaurant.

I requested a late checkout. As a Platinum, my belief has always been that I would be first on the list with this request. I requested at about 8:30 that morning for 3pm. The front desk clerk told me (without ever looking me in the eyes), "well, I'm not sure. Your room is blocked for tonight. I need to call the housekeeping manager". So, rather than use some sort of decent customer service and unblock my room, or suggest a time such as 2pm or so which I would have accepted, she called me back and said she could not do it. So, of course I asked her what being Platinum got me? She did not reply. Also to note, a colleague traveling with me managed a 4pm checkout as a Gold.

Honestly, this is just one more example of a basic Plat benefit--or really just a nice jesture--that Starwood has not followed through on. I've experienced this now at Sheraton, Westin and now Four Points. Yeah I got 500 extra points. I'd rather stay at the Hyatt Dearborn with a decent restaurant and close restaurants, guaranteed late checkout, nicer people, nicer rooms, and 1000 GP points for $20/night more. Unfortunately my complaints will continue, as SPG is a preferred hotel by my company. I absolutely will not return to this Four Points, and may not do Four Points ever again.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled on business