“Watch out for the $4 small water bottle...it's on the bill even if you don't drink it”

Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 13, 2014

I think that this hotel considers the small bottle of water (with the $4 label around its neck) to be its primary source of profit.

Our room was on the club floor and we made the mistake of taking a few bottles of water from the refrigerator in the club back to our room. Despite the fact that the water bottle originally in the room was still unopened with its $4 label on it, housekeeping reported that we had drunk it (why else were there 3 identical such bottles in the waste basket?), and it was charged, plus tax, to our credit card after we checked out.

Dinner at the "Ovation" restaurant was fine, and while the breakfast buffet at the restaurant was nothing special, we've certainly had worse. What was shocking was the club lounge ---- it is very small and had no wine, beer, or other alcoholic drinks on offer (neither free nor for cash). It was a Friday evening during the winter, so perhaps few patrons were expected, but this is undoubtedly the first such "dry" hotel club facility we'd ever been to in that part of the world.

The hotel appeared to be was very, very empty when we were there, which might explain why one absolutely needs to call to the hotel if you're wanting to be picked up at the airport. The vans back to the airport run on a firm, printed schedule, but you could wait a LONG time for a pick-up unless you call them.

Everyone we met --- at check-in, in the restaurant, on the vans to/from the airport --- was extremely pleasant and welcoming.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Gil R, General Manager at Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, January 31, 2014
Hello Jeremy,

Thank you for sharing your recent review on the Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport Hotel. We truly appreciate the constructive and positive feedback and will certainly utlize your comments to improve our overall services. Feedback from our guests are critical to the success of our hotel and we're glad that overall you had a positive experience. Thank you once again for your contribution and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Michigan!

Gil Reyes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Very comfortable beds, easy free parking, close and reliable airport shuttle. I was concerned about the airline noise but it was quite quiet. I will remember this hotel for future Detroit airport travel. Lovely hotel stay!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Gil R, General Manager at Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
Dear kipdaytrippin,

Thank you for the excellent review on your most recent stay at the Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport Hotel. We truly appreciate the positive comments and I will certainly share your review with my entire team. We hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the great state of Michigan in the near future!

Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2013

Received a nice upgrade to a massive 2 room suite using suite night upgrades (as SPG Platinum). Fast check-in at SPG counter. Lounge was small but great, with nice staff. Location along a hotel strip near the airport. Great value on point redemption, and rates are typically low here as well.

Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Dear PolarBear777,

Thank you for the five star review on your most recent stay at our hotel. We truly appreciate the wonderful feedback that you have provided us and we're glad that our team and value for price paid exceeded your expectations. We hope to be your hotel of choice when your travels bring you back to the Greater Detroit Metro Area.

Hudsonville, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

Hi, we stayed at the Detroit airport Sheraton on Friday, December 13. I feel that they have a deceitful practice and just wanted to warn others. In your room there are two bottles of water, I picked up one and it said "with our compliments." Of course I didn't look at the other label since they "looked" identical. If I had I would have seen the $4.00 price on it. It's only $4.00 but I really feel ripped off. I told the girl at check out about it and she said she would put a note on my record to not charge us for it. Well, guess what? I checked my credit card this morning and there it it. Like I said, it's only $4 but to me it's the principle of the thing. Why make the labels identical except for this one little difference? Makes me mad!

Room Tip: Don't drink the bottles of water in your room unless you don't mind paying $4 for it.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 759kl40
Hello 759kl40,

Thank you for your recent contribution to Tripadvisor. Although I'm glad to see that overall your stay was satisfactory, I'm sorry to hear about the miscommunication with our guestroom bottled water. I will say that this is a standard to have one complimentary water and one for sale thru out all Sheraton Hotels in North America. My apologies for the confusion and will share your comments with my team. We truly appreciate the feedback that you have provided us as this will only assist us on improving our product and services.

Rapid City, South Dakota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2013

This was a weekend to be reunited with friends and loved ones. I chose to stay at this hotel because of its location to the airport and the perceived quality of its rooms compared to others in the area.
I arrived late to the hotel and the check-in was quick which was nice since all I wanted to do was get to my room and relax from a long day of work and traveling. Once I got to my room, I was able to quickly unpack and relax. I loved the little balcony off my room overlooking the lobby. I wish there were a couple of chairs to sit in - I would have used it more. My only complaint about the balcony is that I was on the 2nd floor and it felt like I was in a fish bowl if I didn't close the blackout curtains.
The bathroom cabinet looked worn and the tile immediately under the cabinet had a spot on it. The bathroom mirror had marks on it as well, showing its age.
The decor in the room was nice so you can tell the rooms had been renovated except for the vanity and the mirror in the bathroom.
The service was great - Josh the bartender was very pleasant and conversational. He kept me occupied until my friends showed up. Thanks Josh! We had breakfast coupons but our agenda didn't allow for us to use it. If we could have used them for in-room dining, that would have been a bonus.
If traveling to the area again, I would stay here again. It definitely served its purpose!

Room Tip: If you get a room with an interior balcony, ask for one higher up than the first couple of floors...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Gil R, General Manager at Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Dear Catchm1725,

Thank you for the positive review on your most recent stay with us. We truly appreciate the wonderful feedback on our team and we're glad that we exceeded your expectations. I will certainly recognize Josh for making such a positive connecting with you. I will also address your guest room comments with our operations team for corrective action. Thank you for your contribution to Tripadvisor and we hope to see you again on your next trip to the Greater Detroit Metro Area.

Seattle, Washington
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

when my flight was cancelled, I was assigned to this sheraton hotel. and it was already very late on sunday evening. I had originally gone to the area where all rental car and hotel shuttle vans and buses would be. after waiting a while, I decided to call the hotel to see if there would be a shuttle van coming along, I was told by the operator to go back to baggage claim exit #5 and wait for an orange bus. so I went back over the skybridge for exit #5. and once I got there, I saw the orange bus going through the very same place i was waiting previously. naturally, I was not too pleased for missing the bus. and I walked over the skybridge back over again to wait for another bus. I had to wait for almost an hour to finally get on a shuttle bus.

when I had checked in, I had expressed my displeasure and explained my situation (in writing) to the front desk personnel. I asked that he would give the paper that I wrote to the manager and for the manager to be in touch with me in the morning. he gave me the business card of the guest services manager (laura). I wrote her an email that evening. I didn't get a response until I sent another email 3 days later (on wednesday), and was promptly responded by the general manager (sandra). I had given her my telephone number so that she could reach me to discuss the situation.

since then, I had sent her an email after waiting for 10 days. then another email 4 days later. then another email 4 days later. I had waited for a total of 21 days with no response or resolution.

if they really cared about customer service, they would have made sure to respond to my emails as I'd have appreciated a resolution (as the general manager mentioned that she would verify with the persons involved and get back to me as she mentioned that she would like to "talk with me personally). but that has yet to happen. and I was hoping that I wouldn't need to leave such feedback as this one. :o/

I had given 2 stars because the hotel itself, including the room, was really nice. updated guest room decor and bathroom. just wished that the customer experience was better, including the communique with the general manager.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hello d240i,

Thank you for your recent review on the Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport Hotel. Your concerns are certainly understandable given the experience you described and I would like to take this opportunity to reply. First and foremost, my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered with our guest services and transportation teams. I will certainly address your concerns with our Guest Services Manager for corrective action. As the new General Manager at the Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport Hotel, the feedback that we receive from our guests is vital to the success of our hotel and I truly appreciate the constructive and positive feedback on your experience. Your comments will be utilized as a learning tool in order to for us to improve our hotel and services provided. If possible, I would like to discuss this matter in more detail, so please do not hesitate to contact me at my office. I look forward to connecting with you soon.

734-729-2600 ext.7564
Los Altos, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Good room. Bed very comfortable. Bath fixtures a little dated. Wifi free as advertised. Shuttle from DTW was prompt. Good wine and beer selection in the lobby bar. Bartenders were pleasant. Didnt care for buffet breakfast in a cavernous room. Food was so-so and service was slow.

• Stayed October 2013
Gil R, Manager at Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear travel-lms,

Thank you for your recent contribution to Tripadvisor. Overall, it’s great to read that you had a positive stay, however your feedback on your culinary experience will certainly be addressed with our Executive Chef. We also took your comments on our restaurant to heart and re-arranged furniture to make our dining experience a much more comfortable atmosphere. We truly appreciate your comments and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Michigan!