“disappointingly poor customer service”

Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Seattle, Washington
“disappointingly poor customer service”
Reviewed November 17, 2013

when my flight was cancelled, I was assigned to this sheraton hotel. and it was already very late on sunday evening. I had originally gone to the area where all rental car and hotel shuttle vans and buses would be. after waiting a while, I decided to call the hotel to see if there would be a shuttle van coming along, I was told by the operator to go back to baggage claim exit #5 and wait for an orange bus. so I went back over the skybridge for exit #5. and once I got there, I saw the orange bus going through the very same place i was waiting previously. naturally, I was not too pleased for missing the bus. and I walked over the skybridge back over again to wait for another bus. I had to wait for almost an hour to finally get on a shuttle bus.

when I had checked in, I had expressed my displeasure and explained my situation (in writing) to the front desk personnel. I asked that he would give the paper that I wrote to the manager and for the manager to be in touch with me in the morning. he gave me the business card of the guest services manager (laura). I wrote her an email that evening. I didn't get a response until I sent another email 3 days later (on wednesday), and was promptly responded by the general manager (sandra). I had given her my telephone number so that she could reach me to discuss the situation.

since then, I had sent her an email after waiting for 10 days. then another email 4 days later. then another email 4 days later. I had waited for a total of 21 days with no response or resolution.

if they really cared about customer service, they would have made sure to respond to my emails as I'd have appreciated a resolution (as the general manager mentioned that she would verify with the persons involved and get back to me as she mentioned that she would like to "talk with me personally). but that has yet to happen. and I was hoping that I wouldn't need to leave such feedback as this one. :o/

I had given 2 stars because the hotel itself, including the room, was really nice. updated guest room decor and bathroom. just wished that the customer experience was better, including the communique with the general manager.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Gil R, General Manager at Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, November 20, 2013
Hello d240i,

Thank you for your recent review on the Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport Hotel. Your concerns are certainly understandable given the experience you described and I would like to take this opportunity to reply. First and foremost, my sincere apologies for the inconveniences you encountered with our guest services and transportation teams. I will certainly address your concerns with our Guest Services Manager for corrective action. As the new General Manager at the Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport Hotel, the feedback that we receive from our guests is vital to the success of our hotel and I truly appreciate the constructive and positive feedback on your experience. Your comments will be utilized as a learning tool in order to for us to improve our hotel and services provided. If possible, I would like to discuss this matter in more detail, so please do not hesitate to contact me at my office. I look forward to connecting with you soon.

734-729-2600 ext.7564

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
Los Altos, California
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Good room. Bed very comfortable. Bath fixtures a little dated. Wifi free as advertised. Shuttle from DTW was prompt. Good wine and beer selection in the lobby bar. Bartenders were pleasant. Didnt care for buffet breakfast in a cavernous room. Food was so-so and service was slow.

• Stayed October 2013
Gil R, Manager at Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear travel-lms,

Thank you for your recent contribution to Tripadvisor. Overall, it’s great to read that you had a positive stay, however your feedback on your culinary experience will certainly be addressed with our Executive Chef. We also took your comments on our restaurant to heart and re-arranged furniture to make our dining experience a much more comfortable atmosphere. We truly appreciate your comments and we hope to see you again on your next trip to Michigan!

ontario
Reviewed November 1, 2013

Had a wonderful stay.servicewaswonderful The room was very clean and the bed was oh so comfortable. The shuttle service to the airport great. Would stay there again,We highly recommend the hotel.The experience was very good .We didn't hear any noise due to planes taking off.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Gil R, General Manager at Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear marygelin,

Thank you for your recent review on Tripadvisor. We're glad that you had an excellent experience with us and that our hotel exceeded your expectations. I will certainly share your comments with our entire team and they will be delighted to hear that you had a great stay. Thank you for your comments and we hope to see you again in the near future!

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed October 31, 2013

The airport is a bit farther away than you might hope and the rooms are typical, but the service level is pretty good. If you stay on the club floor, the lounge is small but the food service is pretty good.

Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Hello Jason M,

Thank you for your recent review on the Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport Hotel. We appreciate your constructive and positive feedback, and will certainly utilize your comments to improve our overall hotel and services. I also would like to thank you for the kind words on our team. Our associates are vital to the success of our hotel and we're glad that they were able to deliver the level of service that we are well known for.

Indianapolis, IN
Reviewed October 30, 2013

I stayed at this property for a 2-day business trip. Outside of a minor glitch during check-in (I had booked a club-level room and the front desk person said my reservation didn't list club level until I showed him my confirmation which clearly indicated that I had book a club level room), the experience was good.

The rooms are clean and spacious. The lobby area is really nice and the club level ammenities were really wonderful. The breakfast selections were ample and the evening reception was really good. It was nice to be able to grab a cup of coffee at 6:00 a.m. as I dashed out the door to drive across town for a meeting.

The room service did leave much to be desired however; the food was just so-so. I ordered a Caesar salad and it was a huge chuck of lettuce (somewhat wilted) with large slices of cheese; I sent it back and they didn't charge me. The burger was average.

The staff at the hotel seemed very nice however and I found it to be a nice place to stay while in the area on business. It is a very short and easy drive to the airport and for rental car return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Dear indyrae,

Thank you for your recent contribution to Tripadvisor. Although I'm glad that you had an excellent experience with us, I will certainly address your food comments with our culinary team for corrective action. Overall, we truly appreciate your positive review and we hope to see you again when your travels bring you back to the Greater Detroit Metro Area.

Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Don't read this review or we will have to vie with you for space. :-) Seriously, as we got a good rate, we thought there might be an un-fun reason why. Not so. Slightly small SPG lounge. Nice gym. Nice atmosphere. Slow elevators (there was a large group there, so perhaps more due to that). Pretty wonderful overall. Good internet connection, though non-SPGs do have to pay for the higher speed connection. PS: Our reoom was not outdated. Not sure if rooms differ. 10th floor.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
Hello KiowaVT,

Thank you for the five star review on the Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport Hotel. We truly appreciate the positive and constructive feedback and we're glad that our hotel exceeded your expectations. We hope to be your hotel of choice when your travels bring you back to the Greater Detroit Metro area.

Komoka, Canada
Reviewed October 23, 2013

We travel extensively, sometimes with children, sometimes without. Always for pleasure. I know hotels, and in the past even wrote reviews for many resorts in the Caribbean (for magazines, not tripadvisor)! Tonight my family ordered room service which was delivered by a gentleman named Tam. Tam made a substantial impression upon our entire family. Was it his big smile? His helpful nature accommodating our VERY food picky 9 year-old-son? Was it is laughter? His speedy service? Perhaps it was his kind and respectful nature? It was ALL OF THE ABOVE, but something more I can not quite put into words. The hotel, room, service has been great so far, I have no complaints and am very comfortable. BUT Tam, now there is a human being who deserves to be acknowledged and appreciated for his work ethic and approach. It is not often you find people in service who put so much into their job. Tam does. Kudos Sheraton for having such a positive and considerate employee.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
SheratonDTW, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Jim G - Thank you so much for recognizing Tam. He is a pleasure to work with and we are so happy to have him on our team. You are right, it is hard to find people like him in the service industry today. Thank you again for sharing your experience, we will make sure Tam sees your comments!