“Great Starwood alternative if the airport Westin is full”

Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #10 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Port Charlotte, Florida
“Great Starwood alternative if the airport Westin is full”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

STARWOOD: GOLD
MARRIOTT: GOLD

I just stayed here last night. Purpose was a little get-away, to enjoy the pool and review the property. I also had business very early downriver so it would all work out well.. i thought! In the end i cant say this is a bad property. It used to be a Crowne Plaza and i think something else before that. Starwood has made a very nice Sheraton out of it. Its got 11 floors (club floor being the top) and alot of the rooms have balconies inside the atrium, which is huge and they overlook the pool/common area. When i booked this room at 4am thru spg.com i followed up with a call. The gentleman who answered stated he was a manager and accepted my discussion to find a better rate as the hotel is way over-priced, and also he said he would be happy to honor my request to be inside facing high floor. On the way to the hotel yesterday i called again to make sure i would have no hassles at check-in. It was as if i had never made the previous call. No rate adjustment and honestly the first girl didnt care at all to make me happy, She transferred me to another girl, Melanie i believe who tried to say this "we dont have any rates lower than what you have booked, but your on the club floor so youll enjoy it", my response " its the day of my arrival and assuming your not full i should be upgraded to the club floor anyway", her response, we can put you in a regular room for a lower rate.. ???? anyone see a confusing, totally unnessasary conversation happening here? In the end they gave the lower rate and kept the club floor but now thru her tone i could tell they felt i was annoying. Why? Why am i the problem when i had already settled all this with the supposed manager days before. At check-in, i was already tired and Brittany was quick to check me in, explain my breakfast card and wish me a pleasant stay. Once i arrived at the room i felt my punishment for daring to challenge the norm. My room was club floor, but i had lost my balcony and had a beautiful view of the quick park lot and the roof below..YES! super stoked-not. I was too tired to argue further at this point and while i planned to use the pool/hot-tub and gym before rest, this quickly changed after room service was devoured (great food and service here) and then i immersed myself in the heaven that is the bed here. It honestly competed with Westin. sadly for my plans i was not to move and passed out as the Tigers lost to the White sox =( Wake up call was set for 6am, plan was to use the gym, then breakfast, then pool for a few laps and be out by 830am. The Club floor is great as the Club room is open 24/7 and while not much to offer, being able to grab a cold drink or 3 at 2am is very nice =) . This morning my plans started off right, breakfast in the club room (bypassed my restaurant pass as i didnt feel like sittng thru a meal). The gym is perfect for a nice one hour treadmill, free weight workout. So now after a shower the pool, i had missed before. wait, its closed. There are two people at or near the front desk..i ask about it and receive two different answers at the same time..this inconsistency is something ive noted throughout the staff. Not happy with this pool timing as many of us like to make use of it in the morning, especially with the high rates they charge here but alas i left.

PRICE: Over-priced. No way around it.

HOTEL: It really is a beautiful hotel and looked like a mini version somewhat of the stellar Westin inside the terminal. Very clean and the atrium is always a cool feature.

THE ROOM: Club Floor was very nice but i feel i was punished with what i was given, i coudlnt see anything worth looking at, its in the flight path and i couldnt even see a plane ( i am an aviation nut). It is a standard size room, maybe a bit larger than standard atleast on the club floor, the bed is amazing, and the TV was larger than Marriotts offerings. Im willing to bet the interior facing rooms that i was promised are better though and would recommend trying to SECURE one of these.

THE STAFF: Alot of the staff was very nice, my situation left a very bad taste in my mouth and could keep me from recomending or returning. Room service staff was above par.

Was my Elite recognized? Yes and No

I would recommend this property especially to Starwood Preferred members who cant get a res at the airport Westin and dont want to go downtown to the Book Cadillac which is their flagship Detroit property. It really was a great nights rest and is a clean and modern property. I just wish my experience had been better.

Room Tip: Get Club Floor and interior facing with a balcony
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
SheratonDTW, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, September 19, 2013
Ryan B - Thank you for providing such a detailed review. We are happy to hear overall you enjoyed your stay and that you would recommend our property. We too wish that you had a better experience! It appears that the majority of your dissatisfaction was a result of inconsistent communication from our team members. We take all feedback very seriously and we will be working with our departments to ensure a better experience. We hope that if you are in the area again that you will choose to stay with us again - we would love another opportunity to welcome you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed September 7, 2013 via mobile

Another great Sheraton. Awesome room, nice gym, big indoor pool, nice bar, close to the airport. I stayed on the club level and the extra amenities were nice. Robe,shaving cream, etc. Staff is very accommodating and the hotel is comfortable.

• Stayed September 2013
SheratonDTW, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
tracy e - Thank you for your positive review and for the 5 stars! We are happy to hear that you had a comfortable experience and our team cared for your needs. We hope that you will choose to visit us again when you are in the area.
Bronx, NY
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Only stayed one night. Very clean with courteous staff. Upgraded to club level. Nice big comfy bed made it hard to get up and out in the morning. Though there's the constant air traffic every five minutes, my room was very quiet and I was facing the airport. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for choosing to stay with us during your journey and for the great review! We really appreciate that you took the time to share your experience with us and that you had a comfortable stay. We hope to welcome you back soon.
Pomona
Reviewed August 31, 2013

we arrived early and were greeted by friendly staff who checked us in and we were also upgraded to club level. the hotel was very nice, clean and updated. indoor pool very nice. loved our view of the airport planes taking off. room nicely appointed, bed comfortable. the club level included afternoon snacks and breakfast in the morning. both were very good. totally enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Club Level
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
SheratonDTW, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
mldelrosa - Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and that our team was able to make your short stay a memorable one. We hope to welcome you back to Sheraton the next time your travels bring you to the Detroit area.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 19, 2013

Great hotel with a convenient location. The check in was very slow. Only two people at the front desk for a large busy hotel that is also catering to flight crews needs more people at the front desk. Other than that, everything was fine

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CanadianWorldwide
SheratonDTW, Guest Relations Manager at Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Canadian Worldwide - Thank you for your review! We appreciate you sharing comments regarding your visit with us. I will share you comments regarding your check in experience with our guest services team so we can ensure a speedy check-in so our guests can quickly get to their rooms to relax. Thank you again.
Ontario
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We stayed at this Sheraton for the AAU Jr Olympics. We really enjoyed our stay. The lobby/atrium area was very inviting. Our room was a good size and very clean. One item that must be noted was that the hotel is soundproofed well-enough that I heard no airplanes or road traffic in the morning. I have stayed at many an 'airport strip' hotel where this was not the case. A few nice touches: almost all of the staff at this hotel, right down to housekeeping, smiled and said hello whenever they encountered guests, and the hotel had a sign welcoming the athletes and offering a nice discount off the hotel breakfast. Clearly, they appreciated the business from the AAU families.

The only downside was that the pool heat seemed not to be working during our stay.

Room Tip: Our room was very quiet but was away from the atrium area
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
PTWife - Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We truly enjoyed hosting the Jr Olympics, it was an exciting week and we hope that it was a successful Olympics for you! We hope to have the opportunity to host this special event again in the future.
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Reviewed August 14, 2013

In July of 2012 I wrote a glowing review on this property; unfortunately things have changed with a special emphasis on maintainence. Let me start by saying the Front Desk staff are still great
and most accommodating. There were several issues that were disruptive to my stay. I had to be moved from the first room due to the pouring rain coming in the window. it appears the caulking wore off. The bathrooms are starting to show their age especially with the vanities and the lighting is absolutely too dark. There was also a dripping sound in the second room that appeared to be on the interior of the ceiling. There was also a brown spot on the ceiling over the bed with a band-aid trying to cover it. Some of the grout around the tub was black. The desk chair needs to be replaced as you could feel the pole under the cushion on your backside. The bellmen seemed to be missing quite a bit when needed on 2 occasions. The Front Desk person had to move me instead of the bellman and also I waited for 15 minutes to ask a question at the desk and no one ever showed up. This is one of the prettiest buidlings of the airport hotels and I hope it will be restored to the way it was in July of 2012. The bed was truly one of the most comfortable I have slept.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a balcony room overlooking the pool and lobby.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
CaribbeanTA - Thank you for your comments, we are truly sorry that your experience was not as pleasurable as the last. Our Director of Guest Experience has already reached out to you in regards to your stay. If there is anything else that we can do please let us know.