Extended Stay America - Detroit - Metropolitan Airport
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
sarnia
“David and Ariel”
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Stay away - I have never been in a worst hotel. Moved rooms twice - strong odour in both rooms. How anyone in housekeeping could deem any of those rooms suitable for guest is beyond me. Horrible hotel - would have had a better stay in the car in the parking lot.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else - this place is truly a dump!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank david r
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
David and Ariel - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. We strive to provide guests with all the comforts of home, so I am disappointed to hear that there was an odor in both of your rooms and that they were unclean. As this hotel’s manager, I can assure you that I have taken steps to correct the issues you encountered to ensure your experience is not repeated. These include working with our housekeeping staff to improve our cleaning procedures and our entire staff to enhance our inspection policies.

Your feedback is very important to us, so thank you for sharing. If you have any additional feedback, please reach out to me at dma@extendedstay.com. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed August 14, 2013

After 10 months at this property I left vowing never to stay in another one of these prooperties anywhere else just based on the manager's lack of communication skills with people in general. She is a very phoney person who talks to much and says nothing. she is a liar and does not even keep bankers hours. When she is there she is in her corner pretending to be busy. She creates a lot of division and stress among her staff who cover up for her inadequacy as a hotel manager. Most of the staff were polite and professional. Pia, Teleira and Audrey who worked the front desk were very friendly and helpful during my stay. Louise is one of the best housekeepers there aside from Liz and the maintenance man Dan, well, he is extremely knowledgeable, friendly and much more than a maintenance man because he is used as a trashman, laundry man and I have even seen his manager using him to clean rooms too. The shuttle drivers Matt and Mr. Blay were very nice and accomadatinng but that was another issue for me because I was told by the manager that it (the shuttle) was for the truck drivers who she has a contract with so I guess my contract with the property during my exteended stay there was nothing except when it came time to take my money. The property overall is decent but that manager is going to run that property down and all the good staff are going to eventually leave. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone the manager alows guest to smoke in the rooms and drink in front of the building and walking through the lobby which in my opinion does not look good at all. I know because of my experience there and that does not mean everyone's experience will be as mine was and I am not going into all of the other issues that I witinessed during my 10 month stay there. Also, for extended stay guest who receive mail there you cannot have your mail forwarded to you when you leave and you will not be told that by the manager because she did not know so her staff could not have known.

Room Tip: The noise level was in my opinion the same because of the air planes and the expressway traffic. I...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Zandra M
Lowell,In
Reviewed August 1, 2013

If I had to stay in the area again, I would stay here again. The convenience of a kitchen is a big plus. This hotel is close to the interstate & airport but is still quiet. The staff is super friendly & helpful. Audrey, with her friendly personality, checked us in making us feel at home. Louise is a housekeeper that does her job well and is very friendly. After a month here I feel like she is a friend. The maintenance man (Dan?) had to change out our refrigerator during our stay & was very quick & efficient. One day he saw me taking my garbage out and ran to take it out for me. The airport driver (Al?) did this as well for me. One of the negatives of this is that the carpet in the entrance could be cleaner, seems like there are stains on it. Also the chair in our room had some stains on it as well. Bed was very comfortable as well as pillows.

Room Tip: If you want easy access choose a room on the first floor & close to front desk, but if you want...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, August 6, 2013
Gigi - I received a copy of your review, and wanted to take a moment to personally respond. It delights me to read that Louise kept your room clean during your stay and that Dan was able to exchange the refrigerator in your room as well as help you with the taking out the trash one day. As well, I am very happy to hear that Audrey was so cheerful and friendly when assisting you as needed. It makes me very proud to know that my associates are taking great care of our guests.

If you have any additional feedback, we would like to hear it. Please contact me, at DMA@extendedstay.com, so we can speak directly. I do hope that you will return to our hotel, or any other Extended Stay Hotels location in the future.
lax
Reviewed July 12, 2013

the staff is very helpful and friendly. Dan, the maintenance man at this location is particularly good and very accommodating and really knows his business anxd is also very friendly and helpful in every way. We have been very happy with our stay for the past month and would highly recommend this establishment for future travel to Detroit.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank budnancyq
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
I want to thank you for taking the time to post a review of your stay. I am proud of our team for going above and beyond to help you, especially Dan. Thank you for taking the time to recognize our staff. I will definitely share your comments with them.

Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

Overall its a decent place to stay. The hotel manager is very nice but is extremely long winded when she's checking you in. I stood at the counter for 20 mins while she took 1 reservation by phone. Then when it was my turn she took 20 mins to check me in. Just some helpful advise. Try to work on being a little quicker while communicating with people. Most people are eagar to get settled in. Ohh and if you call for a wake up call they will say we don't do wake up calls because we provide each room with an alarm clock. Every hotel I've ever stayed in has had both alarm clocks provided as well as wake up service. Would give this hotel another try but if it takes up that much of my time again it will be the last time.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank gpitchure
Manager_11525, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, May 28, 2013
I appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your experience with us. I sincerely apologize that you experienced difficulty checking-in to the hotel and had to wait a long time for it to complete. As well, I am sorry that we are unable to provide wake up calls for our guests; however, the alarm clocks are available in each guest room to assist as needed. As we are always looking to improve our offerings, we will keep your feedback on this topic in mind moving forward.

I am grateful for the feedback you provided so we are able to continually improve our hotel. If you would like to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to contact me at dma@extendedstay.com. We would love to have another chance to provide you with a better experience at our hotel the next time you're in town.
Ohio
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I'll start with the positives: 1. Close to the airport and not far off the highway if location matters to you. 2. Lady at check-out was extremely friendly. As quickly as I wanted out of there, she was pleasant and accommodating. 3. Room is surprisingly quiet considering the proximity to the airport. 4. Full size refrigerator freezing cold. I'm used to the dorm sized luke warm ones. 5. Able to "black out" the room. I do not like light coming through the window because someone could not properly hangcurtains, or the ones they have won't keep all the light out.

Now for the negatives: 1. Grabbed a cup out of the cubboard, filled with water, went to take a drink and found a hair floating in it. 1a. Next cup was hair free but dusty. 2. Rust...rusted sink drain basket, rusted tub fixture...3..Cleanliness - hair in the tub and all around the enclosure it was dusty or dirty. I had to clean it before I got in it.
WORST of all...Smell. Permeated with the smell of stale cigarette smoke. A room that has been smoked in, in the past and no amount of carpet cleaning is getting the smell out.

I hope others experience a room that is cleaner, smells better and is hair free. A cheap hotel may not come with frills, but should still come with cleanliness. No excuse for that.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank jas849
RDO_Sarah_L, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay. Given our company's commitment to superior guest service, it was great to read about your positive experience with our staff. Of course, I was disheartened to read that your stay wasn't 100% satisfactory. You certainly have my sincerest apologies.
Please know that we have strict quality control standards that are meant to prevent an unacceptable situation like yours from occurring. All rooms are regularly cleaned and disinfected upon a guest's checkout as well as during applicable periods of the stay, then inspected by a manager who determines if it meets our quality standards. Obviously, your experience indicates that our system broke down. In response, I have met with hotel management and staff to find out why and to determine a system for preventing a repeat occurrence. While I do appreciate some of the kind words that you shared about the hotel – I am deeply sorry about the cleanliness issues that you encountered. A clean, comfortable room is one of the basics that we can provide and I am sorry we were not able to do that for you.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed March 12, 2013

The accommodations are basic, but functional and clean. Internet service is great. Maid service one per week is fine. Staff is very friendly and helpful. I stayed over a month so the onsite laundry room was a plus. Generally a great value for the price. I will make it a point to stay at this hotel on my next trip to Detroit.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
RDO_Sarah_L, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Detroit - Metropolitan Airport, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Thank you so very much for your nice review of our property. Whenever I read comments like yours, it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. As a member of the Extended Stay Hotels(sm) family, we are proud to be a part of the premier lodging source for business and leisure travelers looking for a great room at a great rate. We know that our largest asset is our loyal base of customers like you, which is why we are so firmly committed to your satisfaction. We were among the first in the industry to identify a need for a fully functional hotel suite, complete with range top and full refrigerator. We know that this offering is compelling because of the continued compliments we receive from guests like you.