“Bring the Lysol”

Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
A TripAdvisor Member
“Bring the Lysol”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2007

Northwest Airlines provided us with a voucher to stay overnight at this Best Western, so at least we didn't pay anything for the room. To be fair, the room was large, and we were offered non-smoking with a king bed on very short notice. The hotel is definitely dated, and the cleanliness of the room could have been improved (there were some suspicious stains on the sheets and only the foolhardy would actually touch the blanket or bedspread). On the positive side, we had a very late meal (again, compliments of Northwest) in the "lounge" with no ill effects, and we found the shuttle service to be dependable and quick, with friendly drivers. All things considered, however, I'd check out other airport hotels to get a sense of what else may be available before committing to stay here.

• Liked — It was free for us, thanks to NWA
  • Disliked — It didn't seem very clean.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
tequesta, florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2007

I was very disappointed when I realized that I had gotten this hotel when placing a bid through priceline. I was only staying here for 1 night and leaving early the next morning. Hotel has a stale smoke odor when entering front lobby. Check in was fine and we received 2 vouchers for the continental bfast in the a.m.

When we got to our room we noticed that it was very small, the beds were different heights, furniture/linens were of the lowest quality. This is a hotel for laying your head down (if you aren't too picky!) at night and just getting out in the morning!

Breakfast area was dirty. Dirty dishes, sticky floor, dirty table, etc.

Staff was nice here but the hotel is just beyond help at this point. Floors are uneven, paint is chipping, looks like it has been re-done so many times it is worn out. It is just kind of glued together at this point. It needs to be torn down and rebuilt. Don't expect much....you won't get it here.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed March 2007
virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2006

This hotel was discounted to me through NorthWest Airlines. They should have paid me to stay there. They were really quick to check you in, 59.99 for the one night stay. Said it was a discount through the airlines. Got to my room, only toiletry was shampoo. Being my flight left without me, I had zero in that department. Asked for the "complimentary" toiletry pack, which they did not have and sent me to the gift shop. I added up what I needed: toothbrush 3.00, toothpaste 2.50, comb 1.00, deodorant 5.00 for the sample sizes, not even the big size. I asked for lotion, the 0.05 ounce bottle of lotion 6.50, pair of underwear 9.00, conditioner 6.00. I asked for them to call me cab I was quickly asked how much do I want to pay? They told me round trip, if the cab waits even would be $40.00. Back to the gift shop....feeling scammed. Come back down to dine at "The Palms" inside the hotel. No chance. I have eaten in cleaner gas stations. It was flat out gross. Smoke everywhere, loud music blasting, you get the idea. Tried to buy bottled water out of the vending machine for $1, out, back to gift shop for the $4 bottle of the same water. Room was discusting, leaking ceiling, dirty carpet, stunk, hallways, elevator, stairs just dirty, nasty. Was given complimentary continental breakfast card. Figured they felt sorry for my situation. Next day, got dry cereal and coffee. Thought the eggs, bacon, biscuts etc were what I got the card for? Put eggs on my plate and was told by the waitress in bedroom slippers that continental is cereal and coffee, I cannot have the eggs. She took the plate, threw the eggs in the trash. Can't figure that one out. At this point, I went out front and waited for the shuttle to the airport. Couldn't have got me out of there fast enough. I kept waiting to get "Punk'd" Stay somewhere else!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
  • Tips/Secrets — don't stay here
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled on business
Stratford
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2006

I would not recommend staying here for Airport Travel, they told us the shuttle runs every 15 mins so we were ready on time, when leaving on our trip the driver dropped us off at the arrivals gate of the terminal, so we had to find our way to the departures level of the airport. When we arrived home we went outside where all the airport shuttle buses were and waited, the shuttle never came by the terminal, after 20 mins we called to the hotel and they said they would be there in 5 mins we waited another 20 and called again she said they were on there way 1 hr and 15 mins later we had to pay another shuttle to bring us back to the hotel to get our van. When we arrived and complained she said oh well sorry for the misunderstanding, meanwhile we froze outside the airport waiting for them, by the way when we got back to the hotel there were two shuttle vans in the parking lot I don't think they had any intentions of picking us up...
Never stay again and will not ever recommend this place service was terrible.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Service
  • Tips/Secrets — Don't stay there
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled with family
2 Thank Homeland
Ontario
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2006

This is an old worn out property. It is not as bad as some of the previous reviews suggest but it is at best a 2-star property. How AAA rates it 3-star and priceline 2+ is beyond me.

We pricelined in for $45 and for a short one night stay it was okay. There are very few places to eat nearby.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank profj
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2006

This hotel is convenient to the airport, yet I didn't use their shuttle service which previous reviews had indicated was not reliable. I booked the hotel for 3 nights through Priceline which has it rated as 2-1/2 stars. The amenities, which included a pool, free continental breakfast (which I would avoid after my 1 experience), and in-room refrigerator, would normally deserve that rating - but the uncleanliness, age, noise, and unfriendly staff bring it down quite a bit.

The atrium-located pool is not in a self-contained area, so most of the rooms will hear noise and screaming from that area until midnight when it closes - even with the room fan or A/C on.

The hotel has seen better days maybe 20 years ago and obviously the rooms had gone through a small-budget remodel in the last 5 years.

If a party is not picky and wants an inexpensive room near the Detroit Metro Airport, this hotel may work fine.

• Disliked — Age, uncleanliness
  • Stayed July 2006
6 Thank Ted W
Ann Arbor, Michigan
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2006

I got this room on Priceline and was leary as soon as I read the reviews. I wrote a letter of concern to management at this hotel and received a letter back from them indicating that I should have nothing to worry about.

We checked into the hotel at about 7:30pm. The front desk staff could barely pll themselves away from personal conversations with each other to get us checked in. Literally I think they spoke less than 10 words to me. They directed me to my room via finger pointing -- we still got a bit turned around.

I had reserved a non-smoking room but the room they put us in clearly smelled of stale smoke and quite frankly just felt dirty. The bathroom smelled a bit musty and overall I felt a little gross in the room.

The pool area looked as though it hadn't been tended to all day. There were used towels lying about, some half hanging into the water. The water didn't look all that clean but it's difficult to keep an 11 year old out of the water when he wants to go swimming.

At the minimum this hotel needs some serious upgrades and attention to cleanliness. I would never recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed June 2006