“Not a good experience”

Wyndham Garden Romulus Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for the park and fly in Februaty. I had read on Tripadavisor that when you get back to the hotel they will go get the vehicle and bring it up to the door for you. Not the case... We got back from vacation in Jamaica around 4:p.m, I went up to the desk to find out what we need to do, the clerk handed me the keys. So I asked where the vehicle was,the desk clerk told me the vehicle was either to the left or right when we get outside, So we get outside and have to look around the lot for the vehicle. Finally found it and the battery was dead, I went back in and she was very non chalant and could have cared less. I wrote to B.W. They told me that the vehicle was dead just after we left. Unfortunately we had left the vehicle on the other side of the building and when we went to find it, it was on the opposite side. How the heck did it get to the other side of the parking lot with a dead battery. It's a damn mystery.......
And the guy who yelled at you to get out of the pool was probably the same guy who called some guests morons when he was talking to the desk clerk..

Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nitzer_13
Mary D, Guest Relations Manager at Wyndham Garden Romulus Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. On behalf of the Best Western Team, I sincerely apologize for the experience that you had with us. We have reviewed your concerns and have taken corrective measures with staff and have reviewed our parking procedures to ensure that this does not happen again. We hope that we are given an opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Reviewed April 3, 2013

Always stay at the Gateway BW when in the area. Staff is very friendly and accomodating, once the General Manager even provide his reserved parking spot for our motorcycle. Great breakfast. Thanx again

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Thank you for your review. We appreciate all feedback from our guests. We look forward to your continuted business.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed at this motel one night because of a canceled flight and this was the hotel the airline provided as accomodations. The motel is stuck in the 70's, and has not seen much, if any, remodeling since then. The pool area and walkway to the room was dark, the furnishings in the room reminded me of motels from my childhood (in the 70's) and does not appear to have been updated. The bedspread and carpet were orange and green, and nothing appeared very clean. The sheets were thin and worn out. I couldn't wait to leave and will not return.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am sorry that your unexpected stay with us was not satisfactory. We have alot of exciting changes taking place throughout the entire property. We hope that if you are ever in our area again on a planned visit that you will allow us the opportunity to change your opinion of us. We look forward to seeing you again in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western
Mary D, Director of Sales at Wyndham Garden Romulus Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Reviewed March 20, 2013

My family and I (4 adults, 2 children) stayed here because we had to catch an early flight the next morning. We chose this location because it had a pool and my nieces love swimming.

The hotel does not meet the Best Western standards that I am accustomed to. The elevators are old and in need of being replaced. We had to use caution to ensure it was stopped properly on the floor before getting on and off. The common areas of the hotel were ice cold (rides in the elevator without a coat was like being stuck in a meat locker). The pool is a respectable size for an indoor pool but the water was colder than the air. The hot tub looked like a pool of boiled urine.

The hotel is designated non-smoking and smoking is not permitted in the suites, but the entire hotel has a musty smell of stale cigarette smoke. If you are allergic to cigarette smoke you would not want to stay here as it is very noticeable in the rooms.

The mattresses in our rooms were in need of replacement. They were very lumpy and uncomfortable to sleep on. The HVAC units in the room need to be replaced. They would turn on to heat the room, shut off and then immediately turn on again.

Put all together... the smell of cigarette smoke, the lumpy mattress, the noise of doors slamming, the sound of the HVAC cycling on and off constantly all night long (I actually got up and shut if off), coupled with the excitement of going on vacation... it was not possible to fall asleep.

We used the valet parking and were told our vehicle would be kept offsite in an fenced impound. When we got back from vacation our vehicle was parked in front of the hotel but had 35kms put on it the week we were away.

I do not consider myself a hotel, but if you're a non-smoker that is sensitive to cigarette smoke you absolutely do not want to stay in this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kcea1973

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. On behalf of our entire team, I deeply apologize for the experience that you had. The next time you are in the area, please call me directly at the property for reservations and I will personally set your room for you. We are in the process of some new changes on the property and would like to be given the opportunity to change your opinion of us. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

This hotel promised a special lot with valet parking. They do not have valet parking, but use the Park 'n' Fly lot that all other hotels use. That is not a great option in the middle of winter with small children. When we arrived, we were told that their "box" was broken and that we would be using the Park 'n' Fly lot instead. This is false advertising. We were told by the attendant checking us in that she couldn't and wouldn't do anything for us. We then went to our room, which was an interior room with the outside wall being windows. We couldn't get the curtains to fully close, so we had light streaming in through the windows all night. Not a great sleep. I will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Do not choose an interior room.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. On behalf of our team, I sincerely apologize for any miscommunication or confusion with our parking packages. Since your stay, we have reviewed our procedures and have implemented new guidelines for our staff. We hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you again in the future.