“Glorified Motel Stuck in the Past”

Wyndham Garden Romulus Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #22 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The only reason I'm giving this hotel two stars is that it was clean and the people were friendly. It evidently had once been a motel that was enclosed, with an atrium and some other things added on. Rooms had the typical motor hotel floor- to-ceiling glass wall facing the mostly glass corridor outer wall that that sort of protected one from the elements. One dead giveaway of its former life was an outdoor hose spigot on the interior wall of the carpeted hallway. Heater banged loudly when it cycled on and then sounded like a jet engine when it ran. Pillows were terrible and toiletries were minimal. It has been years since I last saw the "Sanitized for your Protection" paper strip on the toilet seat lid. Unless Delta is putting you up there for free (which was our case) avoid this place. Find a Red Roof or something.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank BrownDawg

Reviewed September 25, 2012

I only stayed here for one night because it was close to the airport. The staff at the check-in desk were extremely helpful. The indoor atrium was a beautiful setting for a great breakfast. I got only a cup of coffee at first because I wanted to take my time and enjoy the view of the pool and the trees. The breakfast available was delicious and the staff were very attentive and friendly.

Room Tip: Get a room looking over the pool, it's a beautiful view.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2012

I had to stay here due to a canceled flight. The room I was assigned had ants all over the baseboards and I found 2 ants in my bed while watching tv. The room was hot, humid, and very outdated.
I will say though that the staff took care of me and didn't hesitate when I told them why I needed to move rooms. Beds were ok, breakfast was ok (eggs, bagels, coffee, muffins, etc). There is a hotel bar and a convenience shop downstairs in case you forgot anything or need a snack. Free wifi was nice. Airport shuttle comes every hour or half hour if you tell the front desk, which is a plus. Only 5-10 minutes from the airport.
Overall I would try and stay elsewhere the next time I have to stay the night in Detroit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I was sent here by my airline after missing a connection and being stuck in Detroit. When I walked into the hotel it was clear it was not going to be a good experience. Despite my better judgement, I checked in and located my room. The interior of the lobby and courtyard is grimy and in need of some work. The layout of the building is very confusing. The room was dated and just felt dirty. Given the other negative reviews, I checked out of the hotel and found a much, much nicer one a 1/2 mile away.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I don't understand all the negative reviews for this motel. I was here twice and found everything to be fine. Good breakfast with warm scrambled eggs, hot sausages, etc. Free newspapers in lobby. decent gift shop for items you forgot to bring. Plus, it real close to the airport, and room rates are very moderate. I will be back next time I fly into DTW.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Patmillikin
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I don't normally care that much about hotel decor, especially when traveling for business; let me get in and get out, with a little gym and Internet along the way, and the details won't matter. But the indoor courtyard setup of this place was SO ugly and dated as to be almost scary, and it also made for an awkward layout, difficulty getting my car anywhere close to my room, and sounds carrying across the property throughout the night. Front desk service was slow at check-in and very slow at check-out (pathetic for an adjacent-to-the-airport hotel where there will inevitably be a run of business travelers around 5 each morning trying to get out for early flights). Wireless in the rooms was free but frequently cut out. And the fitness room had one each of several types of cardio machines plus one multifunction weight machine, like many at inexpensive chains -- except that one couldn't access the fitness room with one's room key, instead needing to visit the front desk for a different key and a magnetic unlocking device for the cardio equipment (all of which appeared to be at least 20 years old). Never again!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 20, 2012

My family and I booked this hotel for a two night stay as we were attending a concert in Detroit. I booked this hotel through a discount site and I am glad I did as it is in no way worth paying their full rate.

The room was dated but worse it seemed like everything needed to have a screw driver taken to it. The vents were unscrewed in the room and in the public restroom in the lobby, the hot tub handrail screw attachment was rusted at the bottom and so the handrail was no longer attached and so it also needed repair. The hot tub itself was nice as was the pool, both of which my family enjoyed very much. The pool was much warmer than the Best Western in Allen Park.
The breakfast buffet was sufficient however the staff did begin to close things down quite early both days we were there for breakfast (9:30 am EST with a 10:00am closing time).

Overall the hotel just felt dated and in disrepair. I did observe that the staff does NOT clean the comforters and although I immediately shed those from the beds this did make me feel gross to even have the comforters in the room. The staff at the front desk was very friendly.

This location is directly down the street from the airport off of Merriman Road. It could not be closer. It is not a questionable area. It is the airport hotel area. I have stayed in several hotels in this area when flying out of DTW.

Room Tip: The front desk stressed that we could change rooms after the first night as they would have more ava...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family