“Dated but sufficient”

Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #4 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights on business; the best way to describe the rooms are dated. The decor is right out of 1970 or so and really needs a freshening up. The lobby and grounds were ok, but the rooms were disappointing.

The beds were pretty comfortable, very important, as the king rooms have adjustable beds which is a nice touch.

The restaurant downstairs is another story, and not a great one. They are under-staffed for sure; we got in late and walked in there probably 15 minutes before close and we got the stink eye from the two servers, as if we were a burden on them getting off work. The next day for lunch seemed hectic too, just organized or staffed right from what I could tell.

Honestly, I'd suggest checking out the Holiday Inn down the road, looks a lot nicer anyway, or the Hampton next door (same owner).

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Joe F, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Thank you for your review of your past stay at our hotel. We always appreciate hearing from our guests - including when comments help identify ways we can improve. I understand from your review that you found our property to be somewhat dated. Your feedback is incredibly important to us and I can assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our property. In addition, I sincerely apologize if you encountered inconveniences at our restaurant. Our main priority is for all our guests to have any exceptional stay with us and I do regret if you were disappointed in any way.

Again, I thank you for your review and assure you that your feedback has been taken into consideration. I truly hope you give us another opportunity to stay with us next time you’re in town.

Joseph Felice

There are newer reviews for Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport

Reviewed December 28, 2012

Everytime my husband and i fly out of Detroit for vacations, we always stay here at this Hilton.
We just love it. We enjoy the guy that works weekends doing the shuttle. I don't remember his name, but he always remembers us. We are honors members, so we like to get the points on our Hilton card too. But we know that being a Hilton Honors member - you have choices where to stay, we choose this hotel. The meals in the resturant are also very good.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Heather M
Reviewed December 20, 2012

It isn't often that I'm remembered at a hotel. So, it was such a pleasant surprise when the night manager, Rob, greeted me just before check-in and thanked me for returning. Now, many of you are saying that he saw my reservation before saying "welcome back," but he said this as I approached the counter and he wasn't even near the computer monitor. I've stayed at this location 3 other times during the past 12 months. He's got quite a memory.

Now about the stay. The rest of the staff have consistently been courteous and friendly on each visit. They generally call about 15-30 minutes after I've been in the room to check to see if I'm satisfied with the room. This visit, the TV remote appeared to be missing and within 20 minutes another one was delivered to me door. About 15 minutes later Kathie called back to make sure I got the remote and didn't need anything else.

Noise: If you plan to be in bed before the DTW quiet hour, it will be a bit tough to get a quiet rest in until then. I'm not certain, but I think flight arrival and departures end around 10pm. Then it is quiet until the first morning flight.

I look forward to my return in January and hope you enjoy your stay there too.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Gayle Y
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at this hotel on the Sat. night before our flight and the Fri. night after our trip. Great place. We have stayed other years at other places near the airport and this was by far our best hotel yet. And the rates are not outrageous. Did the park and fly the first night and it wasn't much more than the parking would have been. Then we did CAA rate the second night. Not much more than we have payed at less accomodating places. Clean, comfortable beds and very friendly staff. Ate breakfast here Sun. and Sat. mornings. Had supper here when we got in a little later Fri. night. Better than having to go back out to find somewhere to eat. Meals were all very good and lots for your money. Wait staff was very helpful and Dennis was great at his job. Very friendly and liked to have a good time as he worked. Would never hesitate to stay here again and will tell friends if they are looking for somewhere to stay. See you next time!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Iusually enjoy my stay at these hotels. I requested an extra blanket before my arrival. It was acknowledged and hand delivered to my room. I appreciate the service. I was disappointed they did not offer a discount for the $9.95 breakfast. Hence, I did not eat breakfast there :( The lobby was clean and decorated nice but the rooms were a little dated. My shower and tub had holes in the surround... and the bed was lumpy. The shuttle service from the airport was wonderful. The driver was very friendly! The workout room was the best I have seen in my travels of late. The equipment was new and each unit had a personal TV with headphones...YAY! Yes, I would stay at this hotel again...I like the brand. Maybe when I return in 3 months or so, they will had updated the rooms.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
joefelice, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

We are sorry we were unable to provide you with the quality of amenities and service you deserved during your recent stay. We apologize for the shower as well as the bed and have reported your concerns to our maintenance team. We will be sure to address the issues with the room amenities and hope you will consider giving us a second chance if you return to the area.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This hotel was very typical of HGI properties and certainly above average in most ways. The only potential issue that I might see for some travelers was that for part for the night the planes were landing over the airport and were somewhat loud. This didn't bother my sleep, but a sensitive sleeper might not like it.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

The hotel was nice and clean. Furniture good, carpets good, bathroom ok, beds ok.
The staff was very very friendly.
We were here as a large group and the only complaint of many of us was the miscommunication between sales & the front desk/management or between the front desk & management.
As I said the workers were friendly and did try to please us, we were just left frustrated 2-3 times because of miscommunication.
Also, we were surprised how quiet this hotel was for being near the airport, we didn't hear one plane.
Breakfast for our group was above average, very good from other hotels we've stayed at.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
joefelice, General Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2012

I am so pleased to hear you had a great stay and enjoyed our friendly staff!

I apologize for any miscommunication you experienced with our team and we will note this for future interactions with our guests.

Thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon!