“Third time this year, no charm”

Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #6 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Chesterfield, Virginia
“Third time this year, no charm”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Overnight waiting on a colleague to arrive the following morning. Convenient location, easy to find. I would give a slight edge over the Sheraton 4 points, where I stayed a few weeks back, but not really enough to make a difference. Internet connection worked fine, not sure what the previous reviewer had trouble with.
Now for the cons:
I was actually looking forward to a late dinner in the restaurant as I had a good meal there a few months back. My medium rare steak came something past well done. Also, the menu described it as 12 ounce, it appeared to be about half that size. So it went back. Second time it was cooked OK and was something approaching the advertised size. But overall disappointing as I was hungry and things got drawn out. Breakfast was better, hard to screw up scrambled eggs and toast.
Shower door did not seal, despite efforts to make it so. Wound up with a very large puddle across the floor. Guess the maid wount have to mop since I took care of it myself.

I will probably try one of the others next time.

1 Thank JS-VA
TINAG8400, Front Office Supervisor at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Thank you so much for your feedback. I would like to extend my deepest apologies for your experience with us. It is our goal to make sure your stay is as close to home as possible. We are always looking for ways to improve our services. We have addressed the situation with the appropriate parties and corrective action has been taken. We strive on making sure our guests leave with a lasting impression. I hope that this incident didn’t deter you from visiting us again. As incentive I would like to extend to you compensation for your troubles. As you mentioned you did have a good meal from here before. Give us a chance to redeem ourselves and I assure you that you will not be disappointed. Again, my sincerest apologies go out to you. I would like you to connect with me directly via email or phone. Thank you for your time and patience. I look forward to speaking with you. Latina Green Front Office Supervisor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Reviewed July 25, 2013

You won't get work done--the wireless is intermittent and has been every time I've stayed here. If you're happy with intermittent 10k/S, feel free to stay. Outlook thinks it's disconnected it's so damn slow. Forget browsing or (heaven forbid) looking for another hotel--too slow.

Food--avoid it at all costs. The bartender lady is an old grouch as are most of the staff...could care less. The food sucks, even for hotel food.

The rooms are okay and even nice. But in a full feature HI, you'd expect things to be 'better', especially near the airport.

Given my experience at other HI sites in Detroit, this is no surprise. They all suck in regards to wireless, cigarettes, and comfort.
Don't believe me? Check Hyatt hotels in the area--sold out because no one wants to stay at the HI sites.

1 Thank fastfxr101
TINAG8400, Front Office Supervisor at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, August 3, 2013
Hi fastfxr101

Thank you for your feedback. We want to apologize for your recent experience with us. Our goal is to make sure your stay is as close to home as possible. We have taken the necessary steps to ensure this will not be an issue in the future. I would like to connect with you directly so we can discuss future accommodations. I understand how frustrating traveling can be and we want to be able to put your weary mind at ease when you are here. Please call or email me at your earliest convenience. I would like to extend my deepest apologies and also offer you compensation for your troubles. I look forward to speaking with you soon. Latina Green Front Office Supervisor
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed in this property recently and had tremendous difficulty with the shuttle service. It took the property 90 minutes to pick me up at airport. I was assured it was 5 minutes and not to call until I arrived at the designated hotel pick up location. When my late flight arrived I found my way to the location and called @ 10:45pm I had to call repeatedly over the next hour to hear the front desk person say "I'm sorry you keep missing the shuttle" This made me furious because there was one lane for the vehicle to get by me so there was no way I could miss the shuttle. When the driver finally arrived he was apologetic and stated that he was stuck at another terminal. I explained what had happened. Upon arrival at the front desk the driver who had followed me in said to the front desk person "why didn't you call me this man has been waiting for over an hour?"
The front desk person refused to look up at me and did not answer the driver. He made no apology and could not look me in the eye. I did not say anything because all I wanted was to get to bed due to my early morning meeting. I was shocked at the lack of basic customer service. I contacted the GM of the property "Mr. Abbas via email and phone left several messages, He has yet to return a call. I understand why his staff has the attitude it does just based on his lack of response. This is a shocker for a member of the of IHG Priority Club. My customer experience is NO PRIORITY to this Place!! Will not stay again!!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank steve m
We appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I want to apologize for you recent experience with us. It is absolutely our policy to accommodate each and every guest. We are committed to service recovery and I would like the opportunity to make this up to you. I can assure you the situation was discussed with our associates and proper action has been taken. I understand how frustrating late traveling can be. We are diligently working on ways to improve our customer service as well as our property amenities. I'd like to express our sincerest apologies to you again for your inconvenience. Please connect with me directly so we can address the situation and discuss recovery. Also, if you have any further questions or concerns feel free to contact me directly or by email. Thanks again. Latina Green front Office Supervisor
Melbourne
Reviewed July 22, 2013

As a result of travel delays due to bad weather I had to overnight in Detroit. This was the hotel the airline out me up in. I had initial concerns re the standard and comfort. The hotel was modern, well appointed and roomy. I had a corner room (419) it was great, very light and roomy. There is a bar and grill on site which is extremely convenient, particularly if you are just overnighting and moving on. All in all a good experience.

Room Tip: Room on northern side....419 was great.
Hi sjmortons

Thank you very much for completing our survey. We are pleased to have accommodated you. We are also happy that your stay was a perfect 10. We understand how frustrating traveling can be so we strive on making your home away from home as pleasurable as possible. Our Sporting News Grill is open from 6am until 2am with the restaurant closing at 1am. We also have a 24hr pool, business, and fitness center for your leisure. We hope we have won you over and we look forward to your next visit. Thanks again for the feedback. Latina Green Front Office Supervisor
State College, Pennsylvania
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Stayed at this hotel because my connecting flight was canceled. I was alone with a one month old, 5 year old and 3 year old. The staff were very friendly and helpful. A staff member named Gary Taylor quickly brought me a roll in crib for the baby. When he learned that I didn't have enough diapers for the night, he went to a nearby store and bought me diapers, wipes and snacks for the kids, even though I didn't have any cash to reimburse him. He then set it up so I could have free room service that evening because the kids were starving and we were all exhausted. It was wonderful to have such acts of kindness during a time of need and stress. The room was very clean, modern and quiet, and there was a good shuttle service to the airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
TINAG8400, at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Hi Taralynnchristenen

Thank you so much for the feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to complete our survey. We are pleased to know that our staff was accommodating for you. I have passed along the compliments to the staff mentioned and they wish to show you their gratitude. We try to make sure our guests are well taken care of at any cost. We hope we made your day a little easier and in return your satisfaction is all we need to know that our job was well done. We understand that traveling is sometimes a hassle so we look forward to putting your mind at ease upon arrival. I hope you look us up next time you are in the area. If you have any questions or concerns please feel free to connect with us. Thanks again. Latina Green Front Office Supervisor.
Bristol, Vermont
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I got stuck in Detroit overnight after missing a flight. Fortunately, Delta chose this hotel for me to stay overnight. In my exhausted state it was an oasis of calm, quiet and freshness. From pick up through check- in to room service it provided a much needed respite from the rigors of travel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
TINAG8400, Front Office Supervisor at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Hi Jonem93

Thank you for taking the time to complete our survey. I am so pleased to know that your stay here was accommodating and we appreciate the compliments. We are here to make sure your visit with us is as close to being home as possible. I hope if you just so happen to find yourself in the Metro Detroit area you decide to visit us again. We are here to assist you if you have any questions or concerns. Thanks again. Latina Green Front Office Supervisor.
Roanoke, Virginia
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I got waylaid by a summer storm and got to spend an extra night in Detroit at the Holiday Inn. This is one of the nicest Holiday Inn properties I've been to. The rooms were modern and well appointed, the gym was spacious and reasonably equipped and the staff was friendly and effective. Even the attached restaurant was better than average with a nice selection of beers. Two slight negatives: the shuttle was absolutely packed to and from the airport and I had a leak develop in my bathroom just when checking out. But, I can live with those and would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
TINAG8400, Front Office Supervisor at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hi HenHoo,
We appreciate you taking the time out to complete our survey. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your visit with us. Our property is only two years old, hence the modern décor, and striving. We are constantly improving and making sure our property is a home away from home. Our Sporting News Grill has over 32 draft beers and offers a variety of popular dishes. We apologize for the delay in transportation and for the leak. We understand how frustrating this may be for you. The proper parties have been notified so this will not be an issue in the future. Your feedback is what we need to make sure we address the issues properly and in a timely manner .So thanks again. We look forward to your next visit. If you have any questions or concerns, please connect with us via email or phone. We are always here for you. Latina Green Front Office Supervisor