“Clean Hotel at DTW”

Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #11 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Spent the night before an early flight. The rooms are updated and clean with good linens and comfortable bed. The HVAC system didn't work but wasn't a problem as the room temperature was still comfortable for sleeping (could be a problem at other times of the year). Based on reviews of other properties in the area (very hit or miss) I would stay again but would have them address the heating/cooling issue.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I had two separate stays at the Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, a couple of days apart.

Both times my room was clean and spacious. I was very comfortable, and during my first stay I really appreciated the fact that the fan would run continuously so it cut down on the airplane noise. It didn’t do that in the room on my second stay though, so I guess it’s not a feature and I just got lucky the first time. This property has free Wi-Fi, a mini-fridge, and a microwave.

One important observation I have about the room is for persons of size. If you are a person of size you may find the layout of the bathroom a little difficult because the commode is very close to the sink. There is not much room between them at all. The shower is spacious though, and has great water pressure. There is no bathtub.

The hotel has extensive TV channels. The channel list provided with the remote is so long they had to use tiny print – so if you use reading glasses be sure to bring them. Internet was sufficiently fast, but the hotel’s home page kept popping up every time I switched pages. I’ve never seen that before in a hotel. It wasn’t a problem, just a bit annoying.

There was no trash can next to the desk in the room – only in the bathroom. No big deal, but I missed it while I was working at the desk. Speaking of working, While I was on a business call the next morning, even though I had a do not disturb sign out - I heard a knock on the door. It was the housekeeper. Perhaps a reminder is in order as to the meaning of the sign?

My first stay I arrived very late after a delayed flight, and fortunately the hotel is only minutes from the airport. I was exhausted when I arrived, and the very pleasant young man at the desk welcomed me as a Platinum Priority Club member, went over the hotel features, and quickly checked me in.

My second stay two nights later, the check-in was considerably different. When I arrived the second time I was not wearing my business suit, having changed before a long drive. I only say this because I wonder if the situation would have been different if I looked more “professional.” I ask that because the clerk (a young blond woman) was not very friendly. She didn’t welcome me to the hotel, and her first comment to me was to ask if I was checking in. (I thought the question a little odd because I was arriving through the front door with a suitcase.) She asked me for ID and credit card and then chastised me when I didn’t have the correct ID. All my information is in the system, and had she looked at my Priority Club account she would see that I am a frequent IHG guest staying aver 130 nights a year. A polite, friendly reminder that perhaps I should carry it “just in case” wouldn’t have been inappropriate. Instead, I felt like she was accusing me of gaming the system. I didn’t appreciate it. She handed me my keys and I went to my room to drop off my luggage. When I went back down a little while later on my way to the restaurant I observed her interacting with another customer. He was dressed in a suit and the clerk was very animated and pleasant talking to him - an entirely different scenario than mine.

I liked the hotel restaurant. I had dinner at the bar and had an absolutely wonderful pizza and the price was right. The servers and bartenders were quite nice and very efficient.

In spite of my experience with the front desk the second time around, overall I liked this property very much. I would recommend it to travelers, and I would most likely return.

1  Thank AnotherNiteOnTheRoad
HIDTW, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Hi AnotherNite,

Thank you so much for your review of our property! I apologize that you did not have a perfect stay during both your visits. I will be taking action to resolve your concerns.

Regarding the Do Not Disturb sign, I will speak with our housekeeping manager and have her address this with her staff.

I am happy to hear about your positive check in experience, but I am disappointed that your second check in was not as pleasant. I have already spoken with the front desk agent who checked you in about having a helpful and friendly attitude with all of our guests. This is not something I take lightly and will continue to keep an eye on all of our desk staff.

I have also shared your comments with our restaurant manager and chef regarding the excellent dinner you enjoyed.

I am glad to hear that we will be seeing you again in the future. As a valued Priority Club member we value your business and look forward to your next visit. Thanks again for your review!

Reviewed March 29, 2013

Delta Airlines booked this hotel for us because we missed a connecting flight from Paris. After a 10 hour flight and another 2 hours in the Detroit airport, we were pleasantly surprised when the hotel shuttle picked us up within minutes. The shuttle driver could not have been more accommodating. Our room was nicely furnished, with comfortable beds/pillows, complementary wi-fi, and amenities we'd expect in a much higher priced hotel. The lobby was very nice, the staff helpful and the sports-themed restaurant served the best burger I've had in a long time. We don't usually book any trips though Detroit, but if we were there again, would definitely stay at this hotel.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 9, 2013

This hotel is really close to the airport but the surrounding area is not the greatest. The hotel itself is very new and the rooms are comfortable. The pool and gym are great too. There is a restaurant at the hotel, it has good food even though there is never anybody in there. For a short trip to the area it is a great place to stay.You will need a car to get around, this is the case anywhere in Michigan though.

• Stayed: November 2012
HIDTW, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2013

Hi Peavler,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel! It’s true that there isn't much in the area besides hotels and restaurants, but as you mentioned we have a great bar and grill on site as well as a pool, hot tub, and fitness room that are open 24 hours – what else could you ask for! Thanks again, and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

There are two Holiday Inn Hotels within the same area. This hotel is the new one. Every room has a refrigerator and a microwave. The rooms are large with a chair/foot stool and separate writing desk to work at. The bathrooms are beautiful with new fixtures. The lobby is fresh and there is a place to get something to eat. They offer special rates for Military/Govt/AAA and Airline. There is a shuttle bus that runs every half hour on the hour to the airport. The terminal is only 5 minutes away. There are restaurants within walking distance. Front desk crew is wonderful.

Room Tip: All good rooms
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Great hotel!
Absolutely wonderful hotel. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, as we were traveling with a sick child and needed the nearest drug store. They pointed us in the right direction for evrything. My family and friends always stay at this Detroit metro hotel when flying out of detroit. Was a bonus when booking the room that we could park in their secured parking area for a week! We will be coming back to this hotel for our next outnof state vacation;)

Room Tip: The parking package was totally worth it with the room.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
HIDTW, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Hello chelseaep,

Thank you for your review! I will make sure our staff knows about your kind comments. We look forward to your next visit!

Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport

Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

Overnight to fly away. Large comfortable room, great restaurant/bar and shuttle. I thought the price/value excellent. Free internet is always terrific. All positive comments in this visit. re this visit.

• Stayed: February 2013