“Fine Property”

Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed October 19, 2012

We were recently put up here after a flight cancellation. Given the travel hassles, it was nice to arrive at a modern and convenient hotel. The hotel is adjacent to the airport although we had to wait some time for our shuttle.

Holiday Inn did a pretty good job with the decor. The room was modern but functional. The bathroom was large and had a nice shower with all glass door. We didn't experience any noise issues even with the proximity to the runways. The room had a modern tv, fridge, microwave and free wifi. We were tired and carried out from the hotel restaurant/sports bar, which looked like a good place to hang out and have some drinks. There was an onsite fitness room but I didn't have time to check it out given the duration of our stay.

Overall, a nice hotel that we would definitely recommend if you are seeking an airport hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport

Reviewed October 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed here after a long and late flight. I got the room on my priority points. I was overjoyed at how beautiful the property was and the rooms were so nice! I loved the atmosphere. Everything was so updated and our room was a king leisure with a desk, refrigerator, coffee maker, microwave, etc. I would definitely stay here again. We checked in around 12:30 in the morning. Our room was ready and the front desk had everything ready for us. We went to the restaurant that is connected to the hotel. The waitress was absolutely wonderful! She went above and beyond for us, as they were closing down in 15 minutes. The food was amazing. I had a restful nights sleep and checkout is at noon. Will definitely go back!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank michigangirlof2
HIDTW, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

Hi michigangirlof2,

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts about your stay with us! I’m glad that you enjoyed our hotel, and am pleased to hear that our staff went above and beyond to make your stay enjoyable. Thanks again for taking the time to review our hotel, and we look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed here when we missed out flight back home. I was initially surprised by this either new or newly remodeled property. The rooms are large, furnished with furnishing quality and appearance that you would expect at a higher tier hotel. The common areas off the front counter are large and very modern. There are also computers for guests to use just off the front counter. Also of note is the service at the front counter, friendly and efficient.

Also of positive note is the high speed Internet, which is actually high speed.

Now the negative and the reason for three stars. First, the room. My refrigerator and clearly not be cleaned since the previous visit and had several items left behind including souring milk. It was late and I was not in the mood to change rooms. After I opened the door, I needed to air out the room. Housekeeping mistakes like this are not forgivable... when basics like this are left ignored, I will typically not return to a property.

Second, the restaurant/bar. We had been traveling for an extended period that day and had visited the restaurant. We sat in the bar. Service was horribly slow. Tables were left uncleaned for extended periods of time. I personally didn't think the food quality of my meal was good, my travel companion enjoyed his.

Would I return here? Maybe on someone else's dime - not on mine.

Room Tip: Either way you look at the neighboring hotel. The king rooms are spacious, if that is an option.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
HIDTW, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Hi jra3,

Thank you for your kind comments regarding our front desk staff and hotel design. Having just opened in March of 2011 as a brand new building, we love hearing feedback from guests about the new Holiday Inn style.

I would like to apologize that your stay was not 100% to your satisfaction. I am saddened to hear about the issues you experienced. I have spoken with both our housekeeping and restaurant managers about your concerns. Both situations are unacceptable, and we will work diligently to make sure neither happens again.

Please feel free to contact me directly the next time you come to the Detroit airport area so we can change your mind about our property.

Thanks again for your feedback, and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed September 28, 2012

My flight was canceled and I had to stay the night. The Holiday Inn was one of the few hotels not sold out. I normally stay in a Hilton chain hotel and I was not sure what to expect but I was pleasantly surprised. The hotel provides a free shuttle which is very convenient. As others have mentioned the hotel is rather new and the room, especially the bathroom, was very nice. The internet functioned well and the restaurant / sports bar was fine. With the exception of a few other hotels nearby, I really did not see much else around which may be an issue if you don't have a car. For what I needed the hotel exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 24, 2012 via mobile

Great location by airport!

Has a nice restaurant attached (don't order the pizza though.

Awesome workout room. Best aerobic equipment ever!! All have their own TV! Great place to workout!

Rooms were clean and very modern! Loved the modern color schemes! Great chair with foot rest!

Would stay again!

• Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 17, 2012

I have loved my stay at Certain Holiday Inn Express hotels in the past, this was one was lackluster. I chose it because I knew the location and had good HIE experiences before, and it was close enough to the places I was visiting - Henry Ford Complex and Comerica Park. The lobby was beautiful and smelled great, the rooms were nice. But there was no parking at the hotel when we arrived. When we gave them our car information (because we parked along the curb) they were less than assuring to use that we would not be towed so when someone from the bar left later, we went down and moved our car. There were many children unattended in the pool and workout area well after midnight. Other adult guests trying to enjoy the hottub also voiced their displeasure about this. When I asked the front desk what time breakfast was I was informed it was not part of my rate, but she did not ask if I would like to add it, which I would have. Just not a good experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Megan A
HIDTW, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2012

Hi Megan,

Thank you for your feedback about your recent stay with us! I want to apologize for the experiences during your stay. We want to provide the best experience possible for our guests, and I’m sorry that didn’t happen for you.

Regarding parking, we do share our parking lot with the hotel next door, and although rare, there have been a few times that because of events at one or both of the hotels, the parking lot has filled. When this happens we allow guests to park along the curb within view of the front desk so we can make sure the vehicles are secure. I will speak with our front desk agents so this issue does not occur again.

Our pool and hot tub rules require all children to be supervised, and guests under the age of 18 are not allowed in the fitness room under any circumstances. These rules are posted on the doors to both areas, and we are quite strict about enforcing them. Next time you stay with us do not hesitate to let the front desk know so we can keep the pool area welcoming for all of our guests.

As a full service Holiday Inn, we do not have a continental breakfast like Holiday Inn Express hotels, but we do have a full service restaurant on site. We offer a breakfast package rate, which includes our Best for Value breakfast for up to two guests per room. However, if you were booked at a discounted or special package rate, like AAA or our Park and Fly package, it would actually be a better value for you to pay for breakfast separately instead of changing your room rate.

Again I want to apologize that we did not meet your expectations. I hope you will give us another chance in the future. If there is anything I can do for you, please contact me. Thank you!

Reviewed September 11, 2012

I am a Platinum Member with Holiday Inn. I have stayed at many of their hotels. I stayed here one night when I flew into and out of Metro. The Hotel is brand new and I thought everything was great.

The staff at check in was very polite and friendly. Like I mentioned, everthing was new. The room was very clean and the bed was comfortable. I walked around the hotel and it had all that I needed.

I had dinner at their sports bar that is connected to the hotel and it was a blast. The food was great and staff was fun to watch the Tigers game with. Everyone made me feel at home. The young lady who waited on me was the BEST. She said I could use her name. Christeen West is fantastic. What a wonderful person. She made me feel at home and she was just a great person. I enjoyed talking to her. Everyone in the Sports Bar was fun. It really was a fun place to spend the evening.

I can not wait to return. Also, my friend was picked up at the airport by the hotel and they were very quick to pick him up and friendly.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends