“The best hotel experience”

Hampton Inn and Suites Detroit/Airport-Romulus
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Huntington, IN
“The best hotel experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2011

Great spacious rooms, up to date , generous furnishings, great breakfast, great pool, just the best! No complaints!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jennie09

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
Lansing, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2011

This is my second favorite Hampton. My favorite is the Hampton Inn and Suites on Myrtle Beach. Both are superior hotels but Myrtle Beach will beat Detroit anytime. Seriously, this is a super nice Hampton with the customer service to match. Very clean and still looks new, but it should since it is new. Hilton Garden is right next door for food and a bar. The Hampton still has the usual breakfast which was very good and well presented. There are not a lot of restaurants close to this hotel so I would also recommend the nearby Embassy Suites for dinner or a quick sandwich.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank BBKT
atlanta ga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

Title says it all. I have stayed in hundreds of Hampton Inns and this was definitely top 3 in my book.
Everything from the lobby, the room layout, the bathroom walk in shower and chair height toilet. It was great! Definitely my hotel of choice from now on when in Detroit

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Patrick C
Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

This was a last minute booking and rather than taking advantage of the situation, they treated us like valued guests. The suite was huge, fresh, and as spotless as we have come to expect from the Hampton Chain

The staff was kind and accommodating when members of our party need bedding or had trouble navigating the internet connection. The pool and hot tub are very clean and one of the rare hotel pools that doesn't seem to think that dousing the place in chlorine until you choke is the way to go.

Adam and the rest of the front desk crew were wonderful. My only complaint would be that both days we were awakened by housekeeping knocking on the door before 9 a.m. I appreciate that they want to get in there and get the job done but as other reviews dating back to January note the same issue, they may want to ask housekeeping to reconsider knocking on doors so early - or advise guests it could happen so we know to get those Do Not Disturb signs up bright and early!

A great hotel, a fine free breakfast, and an all around great value. Consider asking about an upgrade to a suite. We upgraded from a double to a suite for only $10/more per night and ended up with twice the space and amenities. Well worth it!

You can hear the planes but it's not like they don't put "Airport" right there in the name. Honestly, we slept well and didn't find the air traffic to be an issue.

Room Tip: Place Do Not Disturb sign if you don't want an early wake up from Housekeeping :)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank kseabolt
Sardinia, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2011

I stay here every business trip to Detroit. I stayed in the King suite room. It is a large room divided by a workdesk. I have always found this location to be clean and the staff friendly and efficient. I like being able to order food from room service. Fairly rare for a Hampton. I prefer this over the Garden Inn next door due to the room size.

1 Thank SDDay
Albuquerque, New Mexico
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

I stayed at this hotel based the ratings at trip advisor. Let me say first that a hotel has to be near perfect for me to give it five stars. That being said, this hotel is only rated as a 2 1/2 star hotel on the website. It far exceeded my expectations of a 2 1/2 star hotel. The service was great. The beds were as comfortable as some of the four star hotels I've stayed in at Las Vegas. The room was extremely clean and the hotel was quiet for the duration of our stay. The breakfast was better than expected. They had hot items like waffles, bacon, and eggs. They also had something for the healthy eaters like oatmeal, fruit, and cold cereal. Lets get to the reason its not a five star. In my opinion the rate for a 2 1/2 star should be less than $100/night. If I pay over $100/night there should at least be pay per view movies. The cheapest hotels have those these days. One of the benefits of the hotel is that its a fly and stay. We could hear the planes but they weren't loud enough to be bothersome. These are all minor issues and I would not hesitate to stay there again at a slightly cheaper price.

1 Thank dablakoutking
Ann Arbor, Michigan
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2011

Had stayed at this property over a year ago and was quite impressed. The hotel today is a shadow of what it was back then.
Reservation was in order. I wanted to extend my stay by a day and they were quite accommodative and set me up right away.
Room on the 6th floor was spacious, clean and well appointed. No complaints there.
But there were plenty of other stuff that is definitely losing its shine.
Internet is painfully slow. They need to do something about the WiFi to get it to acceptable levels.
Stopped by to get some coffee in the lobby at 8pm one evening and there was no coffee left. Had to inform the hotel personnel and come back 30 minutes later.
Couple of times they had coffee but did not have the Hazelnut Creamer and other goodies that they usually stock. Just had the half & half creamer. Well, perhaps I am getting a little spoilt, but I do like the Hazelnut creamer thingy.
Biggest complaint was with the Business Center. I have stayed in a minimum of 2 dozen Hampton Inns across the nation. Typically if I have to print something, I upload a PDF to my gmail account and go to the Business Center, log in and print it. Not at this hotel. The moment I try to open the PDF, it kicks you out of the internet and you have to reconnect. After doing this, I asked how would I print something. THe lady at the lobby could not help me. She went and got a 'manager' who tells me that I need to use a website called 'printeron.com'. I go back to my room and upload the files to this site and come back down. Now the computer in the business center wont connect to the Printeron website. By this time it was too late for my meeting and I had to abandon the task of printing.
I did come back later in the evening and was able to print. But, I am sorry, it is too much of a song and dance to print a silly document. Common?!?!?!
I am used to getting some cookies & bottled water etc. in Hampton Inns. Have gotten this at this same property in the past. But not this time. No mention of it.
Overall, there are clear signs that the management here has stopped caring and letting things slide.

2 Thank kumarcheryl