“Not perfect - but would stay again - check on the pool before you go!”

Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Reviewed June 18, 2009

My family and I stayed at this hotel from June 13th – 16th, 2009 while we were in Detroit. Since we were flying out, we chose this hotel because of its close proximity to the airport. Other things which made this hotel our choice were the two rooms that came with the suite, the free breakfast, which included waffles and made to order omelets, the complimentary manager’s reception (free snacks and alcoholic beverages – yay!), and the indoor and outdoor pools. The odds are that I would stay here again, and that is simply because the pros (listed below) outweigh the cons (also listed below).

Pros: Great breakfast – Excellent omelets prepared right before you. Tasty sausage links. Endless supply of foods – eggs, biscuits, bacon, fresh fruit, yogurt, hot oatmeal, etc. Hot foods were hot and cold were cold – perfect.

Great reception – After three nights, I was kind of sick of chips and popcorn, but who ever gets tired of free delicious drinks? If you asked for it, the kindly bartenders went out of their way to try and make it for you. Half the time, you didn’t even have to get up and get your own drinks. If the bartender wasn’t swamped, he/she would come by and bring you another one. My kids enjoyed the snacks and the bartender’s willingness to create colorful non-alcoholic beverages for them.

No airport noise – Even though it seemed that the hotel was within walking distance of the hotel, I never once heard an airplane in three nights. I did hear kids in the hotel, but hey, the Embassy Suites is a kid friendly hotel.

Location – Close to Interstate and right across the street from convenience store. Close to Big Boy restaurant and McDonald’s. Many restaurant and liquor delivery options available. Yes I said liquor delivery options – gotta love the state of Michigan. It’s certainly not like that here in Georgia.

Décor – Lobby is very modern and hip looking. Hotel room furnishings are nice.

Cons: No pool – Upon check-in and receiving the small envelope with room keys in it, I saw a slip that said the pool would be closed the entire time we were there. The slip also said that if you went to the front desk, the hotel would let you know what alternate options were available for you. Let me add again that the slip of paper told me this – not the lukewarm clerk who worked the front desk. The indoor and outdoor pools were one of the reasons why we chose this place. If this info had been on the website, which it wasn’t, we might have chosen a different place. Being stuck in a room with my whiny, youngest daughter and her not being able to put on her Princess bathing suit and go swimming made me watch the clock daily for the manager’s reception. Why in the heck would I want alternate options? What was I gonna do – put on my bathing suit and walk or drive to another hotel or something? Ridiculous.

Location – Not enough fast food restaurants close to the hotel. There was a McDonald’s on Merriman (as mentioned earlier), but after a meal there aggravated my stomach, we boycotted that place. We had to search on the Internet and drive a couple of miles to find other places.

Door to bedroom area – After staying at a dozen of so Embassy Suites, I was shocked to see one that didn’t have an actual door separating the bedroom from the living room. This one does not. It’s sort of like a screen door with immovable bounds. It doesn’t keep the sound out, and you can see behind it if you look hard enough. I didn’t like that very much.

Suite Layout – There is no sink in the living area which I think is kind of weird since the refrigerator and microwave are located in that area. In order to wash your hands or rinse out something, you have to go into the main sleeping area where you will find the sink outside of the restroom. Speaking of the restroom – that location was kind of strange too because every time the person who was sleeping in the living area (on the sofa bed) came into the sleeping area at night to go to the restroom or to use the sink, the people sleeping in the room were often disturbed. Weird in my opinion.

Cons - Housekeeping - staff needs to be able to communicate better. Even though they were nice about the towels, each day we had to ask for five instead of three (even though five people were registered in the room). A minor thing but irritating.

**Again, let me add that I probably would stay here again, but I would definitely call in advance to ask about the pools first. We paid $129.00 booking directly with the hotel. In between all you can eat breakfasts and snacks and beverages, my family of five probably ate up at least half that rate in a day, which made this stay quite cheap.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank minervenus
Write a ReviewReviews (1,019)

Reviewed March 21, 2009

Great clean room, incredible breakfast each morning and manager's reception at night can make your stay enjoyable.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 16, 2009

The pool was filthy (a layer of oil and chunks of hair were floating on the top), after we brought it to their attention they closed it for the day for cleaning. However, they didn't even bother to vacum it while it was closed. The room, the heat kicked down to 64 every 10 minutes, the bedding had several spots and stains and their was a hair collection in the corner of the bathroom. The worst part was the staff didn't seem to care. The only thing they had to say was we will put in a request to housekeeping. They didn't even apologize for inconvenience. This is possibly the worst hotel experience we have ever had. Definitely the worst service.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 25, 2009

I was visiting my daughter at college near Detroit and needed a place to stay for a next day trip from Detroit Metro Airport to London. This place was fantastic. The spacious room had two comfortable beds with a door divided area that included a flat screen TV, desk and pull out couch. This room easily would have slept 6 people. The bed area also had a flat screen TV. The hotel price included a wonderful breakfast. There was an omelete bar with fresh ingredients, fresh fruit, yogurt, oatmeal, eggs, bacon, sausage, a good selection. Parking was free. While we didn't go in the pool it was large and spacious and had an indoor/outdoor feature (outdoor wasn't open in winter). The exercise room had good equipment for this type hotel. The lobby was spacious, had a foodcourt, with food to purchase (lunch and snack type entrees). Served Starbucks coffee. The service by all was outstanding.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 4, 2009

Moved to this hotel from another in the area - what a welcome change! Front desk were very helpful as were all hotel staff. Very clean, breakfast was excellent with friendly, helpful staff.
Room was spacious and very clean and well stocked. Only thing less than perfect was the housekeeping was forgotten one day and dirty dishes left in the room a second day...Overall - a great place with everything that you need.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed December 17, 2008

Since I had a flight that arrived into Detroit at @ 11 p.m., I decided to stay near the airport and am glad I did! I called when I landed and the shuttle pulled up as I arrived at the shuttle area. After a quick trip, we arrived at the hotel and the newer looking lobby jumped out at me. It looked like a Hotel Indigo, but a little less hip (which is fine if you can't pull off Hotel Indigo hip, and an airport Embassy Suites likely cannot pull it off).
After a quick and friendly check-in, I retired to my suite...or mega-suite as it turned out. I was, for some reason, upgraded to what had to be the biggest suite in the place. It had an eight seat conference table, a half bath near the table, a large couch and two chairs facing a large flatscreen, a king bed with another flatscreen in the bedroom, and a bathroom area that was probably as large as many of the suites, including (my new favorite vice) a TV in the mirror.
Even though it is an airport hotel, I did not hear planes (likely due to very well designed windows), nor did I hear any of my fellow guests. The bed was as comfy as ever and the tub with spa jets (unfortunately, I didn't test these) was huge.
The traditional Embassy breakfast in the a.m. was great, with very friendly service. Then after a quick shuttle ride to my car rental location, I was on my way. All and all it was an excellent experience. I just with I had longer to enjoy the room

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank KJR0711
Reviewed October 22, 2008

We were very surprised by our stay at this particular Embassy Suites. Since they are on the higher end of Hilton properties, we assumed they would be like most Embassy suites. Unfortunately they were not. They are right next to the Detroit airport so they are use to a lot of short stays 1 or 2 nights at most - at least that's how it came across to us. We were going to stay 5 nights and cut it short due to the unimportance of the guests to the staff. The airport was not a factor at all. After 8 or 9 pm, the planes weren't a problem. Monday morning the breakfast was less than impressive. The scrambled eggs were cold and the milk was either curled or sour. There was a bad after taste and film was left on the glass. My husband mentioned it to one of the breakfast staff and was told it wasn't. The next day when I brought the breakfast dishes down to the breakfast area and went to one of the breakfast staff people they looked at me like I had inconvenienced them and "Tsk" me as they walked away with the dishes. We had a first with housekeeping. They didn't come to service the room till almost 6:30 at night. We had the "Do not Disturb" sighn out that day till 1:30 or 2pm and at 3:45 called the front desk to see if we had missed housekeeping and they said no but that we were on the afternoon service schedule. They didn't get to our room until 6:30pm. The housekeeper says they work till 11:00pm servicing rooms. To us that seemed unnecessary because most people are in bed by then. The staff seemed very uninterested in their guests and more of just getting through the day with as little customer friendly service as needed. It was not what we have ever experienced at a Hilton property before and was very dissappointed in this particular property. It definitely wasn't a welcoming property for guests.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Romulus
Hampton Inn and Suites Detroit/Airport-Romulus
The Westin Detroit Metropolitan Airport
Radisson Hotel Detroit Metro Airport
Sheraton Detroit Metro Airport
Comfort Inn Metro Airport
Holiday Inn Detroit Metro Airport

Been to Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Metro Airport? Share your experiences!