Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Metro Airport
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Romulus
Calif
“Great hotel”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stay here upon our arrival in Detroit and again ten days later the night before we left Detroit. Both stays we perfect. Large, clean room with an excellent front desk staff. The breakfast buffet is better than most. They'll even makes eggs to order for you! The shuttle bus leaves every twenty minutes for the airport and they even dropped me off and picked me up at the Hertz counter which is a mile away from the terminals. I highly recommend.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pinguy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed on 1/19 for one night. We rented 2 rooms for our party of 6. We are devoted Embassy customers and have never had a bad experience...until now.

We had major issues with billing (being charged for the rooms twice) and also dealt with considerable housekeeping issues.

As is the case with most good rates, we had to prepay for our rooms to get the best rate, which we gladly did. $223.54 for two rooms, paid in mid January.

As everyone else said this is not the typical Atrium-in-the-middle, rooms-around-the-edge Embassy. It looks to be an older property converted to Embassy. That was fine by us.

A couple of things stood out to us when we got to our room:
-There was what looked to be a crusty booger on the lamp shade in our bedroom.
-There was a rather large stain/dirty area on the chair.
-There was space for two toilet paper rolls and BOTH were more than 3/4 empty when we arrived. Honestly, how hard is it to replace at least one of those nearly empty rolls with a full roll?

These were not things we expected but just rolled with it. We all went out Saturday evening. When we returned about 11:00 PM we noticed a dirty paper napkin in the middle of the hallway. No big deal, right? But when we went to breakfast about 9:30 on Sunday morning that same napkin was STILL in the same exact spot in the hall. That means that not one Embassy employee walked down that hall in about 11 hours. Or perhaps the staff did not care about doing basic things like picking up a napkin laying in the middle of the hallway.

Then came Sunday morning when my 9 year old son looked at his pillow and saw a large 3"x4" blood stain. This was no run of the mill 'spot' of blood, this was a 'my gosh, what happened to the person who used this pillow?' stain (see pics below). We thought he might have had a bloody nose but it was darker red and was clearly washed before.

I immediately took the pillow up to the front desk and the manager on duty apologized and offered a partial room credit of $50. I was fine with this as I really wasn't looking for anything but to point out how gross it was.

So although we were unhappy with the disgusting pillow I was glad they tried to do the right thing.

Now the fun part begins.
-Sunday night we look in our checking account and see that not only was there no credit but Embassy charged us a second time (another $223.54) for the rooms we pre-paid for!

-I called the Embassy to explain the situation and the manager on duty was absolutely worthless. He tried to explain that were weren't double charged and that he would email me a copy of the invoices. I received two invoices but they weren't much help because they were BLANK. He never called or emailed to make sure I received them or to make sure I didn't have any questions.

-I then called Monday morning to explain the problem yet again and had to fax my bank statement to them to apparently prove that I wasn't lying about being charged $450.

-Monday afternoon the manager called me and emailed me what looked to be a corrected invoice. She explained that they did in fact double charge us, apologized and said the charges would be reversed and they would also provide the $50 credit. Again, it was nice to know they were trying (I emphasize the word TRYING) to do the right thing.

-Apparently the refunds weren't entered immediately as it took until Wednesday for the corrections to show up but we noticed that they only credited us $174.24. It took us a bit to figure it out but instead of crediting us $274.54 ($224.54 for the rooms and $50 to cover the 'sorry for the giant blood stain on your pillow' credit) they instead deducted the $50 credit from the $224.54 we had paid. Hence it was like being charged an extra $50 for our rooms for the lovely blood stain.

Confused yet? We were.

My wife then called and tried to explain the situation and they were adamant that everything was correct. After several back-and-forths my wife finally demanded to talk with the General Manager the following day.

The GM apologized for them screwing everything up and graciously offered to comp both rooms. As of today (9 days after our stay) we have finally been fully reimbursed.

We really do appreciate the GM stepping up to comp the rooms and I actually bumped up my review from a 1 to a 2 because of this. But in all honesty between a giant blood stain, the general lack of cleanliness and the major billing screw up I would be very challenged to say we would stay here again. It just didn't hold up to the quality of the Embassy brand.

Room Tip: Choose a room without bloody pillow cases. Make sure there's actually toilet paper in the bath...
5 Thank cberd1221
geoffthompsongm, General Manager at Embassy Suites by Hilton Detroit Metro Airport, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. I am especially disappointed that there were some housekeeping issues in your room as well as some billing misunderstanding that inconvenienced you . I assure you that I will take your comments into consideration to make sure we fix these issues and provide our guests with the exceptional level of service they deserve.

Reviewed January 23, 2013

It was our fourth stay at this location and everything was great as usual. Great price, superb dining facilities including a first class free breakfast. We have also had dinner several times, and room service. Now, about the building, itself. Sort of Zen-like in design, you'll enjoy just looking at the lobby, which morphs into three distinct but not crowded, eating areas. There's a bistro with bar and table seating for sandwiches to go, lite fare, sweets, etc., a separate bar/dining area, and a larger area for breakfast and extended dinner seating. Great food, super service. Pool starts inside and extends outside as well. Two separate outside areas: pool and quiet picnic areas. I cannot say enough about the esthetics of the building. Having stayed in other Embassy Suites, this one makes me feel the most relaxed in a home away from home.

1 Thank musicmuse2
Hamilton, ON
Reviewed January 21, 2013

this was my second time staying here with our hockey team for a tournament. The people who work there are ALL extremely friendly, accommodating and professional.
They offer a fabulous morning breakfast and until 10:30 on weekends !! There is also a manager's reception every evening with drinks and munchies for 2 hours.
The rooms were clean, nicely stocked with glasses, towels and coffee and they are very spacious for the money we paid (we had the 2 double beds with pullout sofa room) . There is also a microwave and mini fridge in the room. Extra towels, when asked for, were not a problem. The beds were quite comfortable too.
A definite MUST stay here if you want clean, spacious rooms and great service.

1 Thank PeachInHamilton
Lewis Center, Ohio
Reviewed January 21, 2013 via mobile

This hotel hosted our hockey team of 10 year olds.The rooms were spacious. Request the double room with pullout for larger families. The hotel had a great snack area to purchase sandwiches and snacks from. The cheesesteak sandwich and pasta was good. The pasta was a very economical selection. There aren't very many restaurants in the area even though it is near the airport. The breakfast included made to order pancakes and omelettes. The breakfast area was also a great place for the families to hangout.

We would stay at this hotel again.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Atlanta, Michigan
Reviewed January 21, 2013

This hotel has a great bunch of employee's who all seem to welcome you, as if you are one of the own family members.. I have been around the world some and This hotel show's alot of Love and Class with everyone they deal with. From the Front desk to Housekeeping.. And the Food and beverage's I had during my stay... May be a smaller hotel, But the employee's truely keep it above all the rest at Detroit Metro Airport... Would not refer anywhere's else... Thanks

Room Tip: If you want a friendy staff and clean hotel with great food.. This is the one..
1 Thank j s
cabo
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Make sure you call ahead to make sure there are NO teams of hockey players!!! What a nightmare We got no sleep the kids were runing and screaming all night. This hotel does not care if you are a hilton honors they have a special desk for check in, no one is there , what a joke I stood in line for 30 minutes to ckeck in, one person, why be a hilton honors if they do not honor it. I am wondering why hilton would have a property like this? Why would you not put guests like us in another part of the hotel? The hotel is not like a real Embassy Suite no atrium ,no real door between rooms. We stay at Hiltons 100 nights a year, we love Embassy Suits , this was not a embassy suite, shame on hilton for allowing this.I will be letting Hilton know how bad this was, you should have refunded us, if you can not sleep thats a problem!!!!! I will say the reception was very nice and the breakfast was great, Our room smelled like smoke, I called to let the desk know, oh well WHAT?!?! So I wonder if the teams were not there if things would have been better, either way you should have tried to work with us.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business