“Great happy hour specials.”
Review of Grand Tavern

Grand Tavern
Ranked #14 of 90 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Windsor, Canada
“Great happy hour specials.”
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Great atmosphere off of m59. The happy hour special just can't be miss. Especially if you enjoy draft beer.

“Just average”
Reviewed September 14, 2012 via mobile

Just average on everything.
Service was average. Food was average. Decor was also average. We ate there on a Saturday. They had some buffet going on, but we didn't order it. Why? Because there were no signs stating what it was and our waitress didn't tell us about it either. Pretty sad! The food was average, but decent portions. I however, got extremely sick off of what I ate there. I do not like how the French fries are extra. The chips are good... But French fries would have been better. But, not for extra....

Rochester, Michigan
“2 visits”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

The first time we went on Sunday which was a bottomless pasta day. Many of the patrons took advantage of that though we ordered off the menu (ribs-so so).
Second time (Wednesday) we arrived during happy hour though only LaBatt's Lite was featured. Good burger.
Service was only adequate both times. Not sure if I want to return.

Visited July 2012
Suburban Detroit
“More About the Appearance Than Give-a-Damn”
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Given its location in the Troy/Rochester area, I shouldn't be surprised at the overwhelming atmosphere of self-indulgence and self-centeredness radiating from either the clientele or the staff. Yet somehow, I still just couldn't let it go, even in my 4th time of visiting Grand Tavern.

It'd be one thing if their offerings were unique and unattainable anywhere else. If that was the case, I could excuse, to a degree, the self-satisfied proverbial smirk this facility wears.

"Oh, lookit me! I'm Grand Tavern and I'm in Rochester! You must feel privileged to come here!"

But given that the menu is really nothing but average bar food, I fail to see where the draw comes from. The kitchen isn't exactly challenging itself here in its menu offerings of salads, burgers, and deep-fried appetizers, so the attraction certainly isn't the culinary delights.

It's a local watering hole that happens to not be a dive bar. That pretty much sums it up.

The clientele generally consists of the average for the area: white, well-to-do, overweight middle-aged businessmen with too much vocal volume and credit lines. Regardless of actual financial liquidity, it's rather the typical "throw plastic around, talk a big game, and look rich." Which may unfortunately translate to unrealistic and somewhat presumptuous expectations by the staff that works here.

While I'm not broke by any means nor am I one to quibble over a dollar or two, I do take offense to presumptuous tipping. Translated, that means keeping the change without asking, or even the compulsory gratuity that's often charged for large parties (anywhere; not exclusive to Grand Tavern, of course). Whether it's a product of being accustomed to the aforementioned noisy local businessmen who may be lousy tippers or the economy of the region simply dictates a minimum 25% tip, I don't know. But the presumption by the bartender in keeping the change without asking was much too forward and that rubbed me the wrong way.

The service wasn't terrible, but it certainly was not 26%-worthy. Now, to be fair, it may be just the service at the bar, and not on the main floor. However, I did sit in the main dining area before and while the attitude was much better from the servers out there, the service level was still in the "average/passable/acceptable" range (nothing to blow my socks off; as much as I would expect but nothing significant beyond that).

When all things are weighed equally, Grand Tavern serves several craft beers along with the standard light American lagers. The food is average -- not horrible but definitely nothing unique. The service and attitude could use improvement.

I harp on this a lot in my other reviews, but considering the overall competition for entertainment dollars, there are other places I can go to spend my money if Grand Tavern isn't all too interested in earning any more of mine.

• Visited April 2012
Rochester, Michigan
“Inconsistent”
Reviewed May 16, 2012

Usually pretty good with daily deals and decent burgers. However we had a recent experience that drags our opinion down. The frankenmuth dunkel beer was horrible, the end of a keg , the barmaid argued with me over it and later finally brought me another of the same without purging the line-never did get a decent one. My dinner sat too long in the kitchen and I had to send it back for a reheat. My wife's taco salad was squashed down on top of the refried beans-just careless. So be advised may be touch and go here now but this was not always so.