“Mexican???”

Ranked #49 of 91 Restaurants in Rochester
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Rojo Mexican Bistro An exciting combination... contemporary flare with authentic flavor
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Omg, this food can't be called even tex-mex, let alone Mexican. What a joke. The pretentious but incompetent Italian joint that gave birth to Rojo was actually a better bet.
The drinks are watered down.
The only worthy order is the fresh made guacamole.
Skip it... Go elsewhere and save you hard earned money.

1  Thank Leo M
There are newer reviews for Rojo Mexican Bistro

Reviewed February 19, 2013

It's been more than a couple of years since I've been back to Rochester and my work colleague and I chose the Rojo Mexican Bistro for dinner on a cool Monday night in February. We were both curious about the concept of a Mexican Bistro.

Unsurprisingly, the restaurant wasn't busy so seating and service were prompt. Both of us selected a Dos Equis Amber Lager that was on tap as neither of us had ever had one. It was refreshing and came with a wedge of Lime that always says Cerveza to me. We also shared the Queso Fundido (Mexican Cheese Fondue), it was a lot of cheese and was filling - don't dawdle with this as the cheese will harden eventually. I especially enjoyed it with a little added Habanero sauce to perk it up just a bit more.

I had my first fish tacos at the Rojo and I enjoyed them, with the appetizer two were more than sufficient. The Mahi Mahi was nicely grilled and served on fresh flour tortillas, the tacos came with Mexican Rice and refried beans. I could have added a third taco but certainly didn't need it.

The service was attentive but seemed a bit too scripted.Overall, I'd likely return to try some of the other menu items. Oh, the Rojo is definitely walking distance from the Royal Park - I found it a bit too close as I was looking to walk off some of my dinner.

Ola!

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The last time we ate here was a year ago on my husband's birthday. We had a terrific time--the food was slightly upscale Mexican and the vibe was good. So we went again this year, and I felt terrible for subjecting my husband to this on his birthday. The chairs are now old and worn. The menu has changed, so that it is just like every other Mexican restaurant chain out there. Our waitress meant well enough, but her service was poor and distracted. All of these things could be forgiven if the food hadn't been so bad. The salsa tasted like crushed tomatoes out of a can. The taco shells in my shrimp tacos were somewhere in between hard and soft; they tasted like stale pita bread. The refried beans were unappetizing, the rice uninspired. The philosophy behind the burritos seemed to be "more is better." Even the desserts were bad. The chocolate kit kat cake had way too much chocolate and not enough wafer. They use styrofoam for the leftovers. The only positive was that our well-meaning waitress gave us a coupon, so I didn't pay quite so much for this overpriced bad food. Maybe she felt bad for us.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

Central location in downtown Rochester, upscale interior w/somewhat upscale prices. Not a huge value, but nice for a couples night out. Food's good ... but not great. Much rather eat at a Chili's for better prices/food.

Reviewed December 11, 2012

My husband and I went there for a Christmas party on a Saturday night, it was very crowded, there were 18 of us sitting at this long table with little room to spare. The salsa tasted like it came straight out of a can, stewed tomatoes with no taste whatsoever, chips were not fresh, seemed to me they came from a commercial supplier. Grilled chicken quesadillas apparently sat under the warming light for too long that the chicken was totally dried out, and the guacamole burned. Surf and turf was supposed to come with a lobster cream sauce, it had to be returned to the kitchen because they put chipotle sauce on it instead. Beans and rice were terrible, mushy with no taste. We would not be going back.