“Beautiful state park, campground put a damper on the experience..”

Presque Isle Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Presque Isle
Presque Isle Campground
Marinette, Wisconsin
“Beautiful state park, campground put a damper on the experience..”
Reviewed August 14, 2013

The sites were supposed to be rustic, yet you were still stacked on top of your neighbors. And the vault toilets need to be emptied out.. badly. The constant screaming of small children made our stay a lot less relaxing... From 6 am to 10 pm, its screaming and yelling all day. We were also sold terrible firewood here. We paid five dollars for each small bundle, and they ended up being wet, and would not light to save our lives. On the second night, a bear also visited our campsite! That is surely an experience I will not forget. After all this combined, we decided not to stay our third night, it just wasn't worth it anymore.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank dmcnn

Solo
Business
Illinois
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We camped in Presque Isle Campground for five nights while we hiked and explored in Porcupine Mountain State Park of Michigan's UP. We had a walk-in site, which adds more privacy and has a "camping" feel to it.
Many of the sites overlook Lake Superior with lovely views and a nice breeze.
It was a quiet and laid back place, much like camping should be and used to be, not cramped with huge RVs and noisy, boisterous crowds. A good place for tent campers, especially, so it appealed to us. I wish we could camp here in September, when I imagine the humidity is lower and the bugs are gone.
Easy access down to the lakeshore.
The entire campground was clean and orderly.
You can get showers and do laundry at the other campground, Union Bay, but I do NOT recommend that campground at all.
We will stay at Presque Isle when we return here!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank ZipW
Wisconsin
Reviewed September 1, 2008

My adult daughter and I camped in the Presque Isle Campground the week before and weekend of Labor Day, 2008. We were given site #6 in the Rustic Campground. The park is very nice, lots to see and do. Campsites at the Union Bay Campground are reservable and you can pick your site. That's also where the electric sites are located as well as the shower building. The more rustic campground where we camped has sites that are also reservable but you can only pick what "type" of site you want, and you're assigned a site the morning before you arrive. The "types" of sites you can pick are by size only. The bigger the site, the more you pay. I was told by the ranger that I was lucky to have been assigned a "primo" site on the bluff. It was very nice and big, (which I paid for). We could see Lake Superior through some trees on the bluff behind our site. We were also next to a "veiwing area" which had no obstructed view of the lake. This is important to know for the rest of my review.

The second evening as the sun was going down, no fewer than eight strangers wandered into our site to view the sunset over the lake. They ignored my daughter and myself and one man even brought his camping chair to plop down in my campsite to watch the sun. They all sat with beers and chain smoking cigarettes. We were a little shocked. Then after the sun went down they all left, and left their cig butts burning on the ground. Why they didn't use the viewing area I don't know.

For the next few days other campers continued to wander into our site, ignoring the viewing area that was set aside for such activities. No one excused themselves or even asked permission to enter our campsite.

By the end of the week, hoards of undesirable campers, their children and dogs in tow were storming our campsite every evening as though the government was giving away free cheese on the bluff. The only time anyone spoke to us was when a woman's dog defecated in our site. Of course she didn't have anything to clean it up so she kicked the excrement over the bluff! Lovely! Other campers let their children play in our site, and two kids brought over three dogs at one time to "go to the bathroom" in our site as per their parents' instructions! There was dog feces behind our tent, and we witnessed several dogs urinate around our picnic table and grill! Of course the rangers were never around at those times. One young man, as he was stampeding through our site yelled at my daughter, "We're here to steal your view!"

We've camped all around the country for many years and I have to say this was the most horrible behavior we've ever seen by other campers. No respect for us or our site. We couldn't go out into the park for the day in fear that someone would take things out of our tent. Stangers' kids were playing around our tent and my daughter's bike so we didn't want to leave it alone since their parents weren't stopping them. We left early and didn't stay the entire week. It was too much. I left a note with our complaints at the office as no one was there when we departed the campground at 9am. I then tried to voice my complaints on the MI DNR web site on their survey page, but it wouldn't go through and kept messaging some kind of "error". Of course!

The park is very nice but unless you are VERY social, don't camp inside the park unless you backpack into the interior or better yet, get a hotel room outside the park! We won't be returning anytime soon.

21 Thank Eveelynn

#2 of 7 in Alpena
Driftwood Motel
Driftwood Motel
#1 of 3 in Rogers City

Been to Presque Isle Campground? Share your experiences!