“Pretty Good”

American Heritage Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I stayed here for a wedding in Portland; this was the nearest and most convenient place to stay. I wish it was larger because it filled up with other wedding guests very quickly. The breakfast wasn’t anything remarkable but the pool and hot tub were great.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Angelica49009

Reviewed December 27, 2012 via mobile

My family and I got caught in a snowstorm coming back from the Grand Rapids area and decided to check TripAdvisor before looking for a hotel. The closest ones had sketchy reviews at best; just a little further was this option in Portland. We are glad we went a little further: our stay was very pleasant, the room was nice, the building itself was kept up very nicely, and the pool was a great plus. (We had packed bathing suits just in case.) We mistakenly thought that breakfast lasted until 10, but when we ran in at 9:05, the staff was sweet enough to delay putting stuff away for a few more minutes. All in all, a great place to get stranded!

• Stayed: December 2012
4  Thank Middento
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We selected the American Heritage Inn, Portland MI as it was just off I-96 on our way from Detroit to Grand Rapids MI. We flew into Detroit and planned a stop in Portland to visit family on our way across the state. Logistically this hotel was in a perfect location to rest after a long day of travel and visiting with family. We were pleasantly surprised at the caliber of this hotel for such a reasonable price. Although the hotel is a little dated it was very neat and clean; our room was very clean, nicely decorated and the beds were very comfortable. The breakfast eating area, and lobby area was immaculate. The service was superior in every way. Front desk staff went above and beyond, check-in was smooth and easy. The morning breakfast was a traditional continental breakfast, everything was stocked, hot foods were hot and fresh; the food display and eating area was clean and neat and provided a great start to our day. As far as the hotel location, the surroundings had plenty to offer. There were plenty of restaurants close by (mostly fast food), gas and convenience stores. Hotel and surrounding area is very safe, the parking lot is well lit and provides for a confident and comfortable stay. We will stay at this hotel again and we highly recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We stayed on the first floor, although just off the highway we did not experience any road noise.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank RLFRetired
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We enjoyed our stay with this most hospitable group of hardworking women. We were greeted very promptly and friendly. They held our request to have our friends located near us on the same floor. They were kind to extend the breakfast time when we woke up late. We will definitely come again. Thank you for making our weekend get together with friends more of a vacation with a stress free relaxing Sunday.

• Stayed: August 2012
4  Thank Andee963
Reviewed June 3, 2012

poor service at check in, made to wait 15 minutes for clerk to figure out computer after room paid for, wouldn't let us take bags in. Left small, but valuable item in room, was told they would mail it, they never did.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank evan s
Reviewed May 31, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying in this hotel last weekend. Lobby was nice and open, and Jessica or Jennifer who made my reservations over the phone was extremely pleasant and helpful. Paige checked me in and she was equally as kind and considerate. I walked into a fresh smelling room. The rooms have all been redone and, for once, at a hotel, I didn't mind being in bare feet. Brand new carpeting, new bedding and curtains. Pillows were great, 4 per bed. Bed was very comfortable. Bathroom was clean. I was VERY pleased with my stay. I wished I had a chance to try the breakfast. My only negative is that it's tricky to get to from Grand River, you really have to look for the small sign underneath the Arby's sign. I would definately recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a clean, comfortable place to stay. I can't comment on the fitness center or pool as I didn't use it. Again, great place, friendly staff. For those of you that thought the staff was rude, maybe it was because of you, as they two that I dealt with were wonderful. I know I would never want to work at a hotel and hear people complain about petty stuff all of the time.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Encitartus
Reviewed March 7, 2012

I came to this hotel with my husband and 3 kids. The newly renovated rooms were beautiful, attractive colors and CLEAN!!! My kids loved the game room and Pool. The pool area was very clean as well, most hotels pool rooms are not upkept as nicely. The breakfast had these cute little waffles that my kids loved. The staff were the friendliest people I've ever encountered at a hotel. They were willing to listen to my kids questions :) and were very proffesional. I defenitly would recommend this hotel to all my friends and family, and do.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Karen R
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
Super 8 Ionia MI
Hyatt Place Lansing
Hyatt Place Lansing
#1 of 26 in Lansing
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Lansing

Been to American Heritage Inn? Share your experiences!