“The Air Zoo's website does this place a TREMENDOUS disservice! NOT JUST FOR KIDS!!!”
Review of Air Zoo

Air Zoo
Ranked #1 of 16 things to do in Portage
More attraction details
Owner description: With 100+ rare and unique air & spacecraft, amazing interactive exhibits, "hands-on" science experiences, indoor amusement park rides, full-motion flight simulators, a 4D theater, and much, much more, the Air Zoo in Portage, MI is your one-stop spot for educational family fun! Voted the #1 Museum in Michigan by American Towns Media and the "Best of Michigan" website, and also as the "Best Place to Spend the Day With Your Family" and "Best Place to Take Out of Towners", the Air Zoo is standing by to entertain and educate, and truly has something for everyone!
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed August 15, 2014

I was absolutely blown away by this place. I've been to the Air Force Museum at Wright Pat and the Naval Aviation Museum at Pensacola NAS. This is far-and-away MUCH better than the P'cola museum and, in terms of sheer number of displays, a very very VERY close second to the AF museum.

When we paid the paltry $10 entry fee, I wasn't expecting much at all. Seriously - only $10? I figured we'd see the obligatory P-51, maybe a couple of modern jets, and the rebuild of the plane that was at the bottom of Lake Michigan for several decades...

When we walked through the exquisitely done entry (you're "walking through the clouds") into the vast indoor display space, I was literally moved to tears. I was stunned at the quality (and quantity!) of the aircraft, as well as the artistry of the murals that wrap the interior.

Expecting to spend "about an hour" at the museum, we soon found ourselves realizing we'd been there two hours and still hadn't had a chance to see/do everything! Yes, there are kiddie rides and some of the simulators might be a bit "juvenile" for some (not for ME!!!!), but OH-MY-GOSH! We are already planning a trip back there next year, where we will spend the entire DAY and take that biplane ride for only $70/person! We will take the time to *study* the exhibits. We will happily eat lunch at the Kitty Hawk Cafe again - the food was excellent and priced reasonably (lunch for two - about $20 including drinks).

Souvenirs at the Fly Buy Store are also amazingly inexpensive compared to your typical gift shop (t-shirts for $10-$16, for example).

The staff are exceedingly friendly and helpful, and we were greeted by every.single.person we encountered!

It's a treat to find little "extra" displays, including an MG T-series car, a couple of motorcycles, a hot-air balloon basket, etc.

And the WASP display? Be still, my heart - an entire room dedicated to these amazing women!

I told the sweet lady at the front desk they should "up" their entry fee to at least $20, just to indicate to the public the quality of what they're about to see. I'd have happily paid $30 to experience what we saw, so we dropped some serious $$$ into the "donation box" just inside the front door.

I wish they'd upgrade their website to make it reflect the level of sophistication of the place. Yes, kids will love it, but it's so much more than a kids' place. We are planning to take my dad with us next year - he will be using a wheelchair to tour it, and it's 100% accessible too!

Just go - if you're within even 100 miles of Kalamazoo, GO! If you love planes, space, rockets, WWII, weaponry, flight... Just. Wow.

1  Thank stefmo
in 8 reviews
"sr blackbird"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed August 15, 2014

It's obvious that the people who restore these antique airplanes and make them available to the public love what they do. Everyone we met, from the staff to the volunteers who introduce you to the museum, was friendly, informative and enthusiastic. We enjoyed looking at the beautifully restored planes and the other historical exhibits about space and military equipment were quite good. The WASP display was particularly interesting. This isn't a huge place so you can take your time, feel like you've seen the whole thing without being exhausted. Good variety of things to see, including rides for the kids. Upstairs there is a small area to sit and eat. This is a great community project.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

My husband and I almost passed this by thinking it was mostly for families and kids. It is not! We found it very interesting and ended up spending more than 2 hours there. Don't miss it if you are in the area. Well worth the cost of admission.

1  Thank GK R
Reviewed August 9, 2014

Went there on a Saturday morning with husband and 3 year old daughter. She was free due to her age and had unlimited rides. Husband and I paid for general admission so we didn't do everything (like the 4D movie or motion simulator rides) but we still had a good time. We saw lots of elderly vets acting as free guides and everyone was very friendly. Our daughter loved the rides and had a good time even though she's not really into airplanes. I plan on taking my dad with me next time as he'll definitely enjoy learning about all the planes and talking with the vets there.

1  Thank kmvLansing