“These people know how to cook...and they're really nice too!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Full City Cafe
Ranked #13 of 139 Restaurants in Portage
Cuisines: American, Cafe, Contemporary
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Seating, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Made from scratch? You bet. For people who prefer quality food and excellent service when they eat out, our meals are made from scratch using fresh, wholesome ingredients. For people who dine in Kalamazoo and Portage restaurants who prefer fresh food and excellent service in a casual family restaurant atmosphere. Our eclectic American cuisine is scratch made, fresh, from quality ingredients. We employ highly trained, experienced people who care about the food they create to work in our kitchens. You will be treated like family by our professional and friendly wait staff.
Portage, Michigan, United States
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“These people know how to cook...and they're really nice too!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2012

We are frequent diners at Full City. Breakfast, lunch or dinner...all is fresh, imaginative and tasty. Always excellent service with friendly people. I especially appreciate their ability to accommodate my need for gluten-free food and have it taste great!! Love Full City Cafe!!

Visited June 2012
, Owner at Full City Cafe, responded to this review, June 23, 2012
Thank you so much Jeane!!

Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Family Restaurant with Serious Food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

I go to Full City Cafe for breakfast frequently. The eggs are always cooked the way I ask for them; the hash browns are prepared on site (not the anonymous little fried rectangles you often get); and the toast is made from bread with fexture and flavor. Full City is not my favorite breakfast spot in Kalamazoo (Nina's and Food Dance share that honor), but it ranks a decent third.

Until tonight, I hadn't eaten dinner at Full City, mainly because I like to have wine with dinner and the restaurant has no liquor license. The emails they send me every week, though, indicate that they are serious about food. Each week, I salivate as I read a fuill description of how each special is prepared. Tonight I decided to give it a try.

The special that caught my attention was Amberjack, described as "a mild, sweet fish...often seen on sushi plates as Hiramasa. We opt to grill it, and the flavor really shines. A lot like mahi mahi in taste and texture, we pair it with our mango pineapple relish. If you are in this weekend, give it a try; you shouldn't be disappointed."

Within a short time, I was there. And I wasn't disappointed. The fish was perfectly cooked, with tender, juicy flesh on the inside of a thin grilled crust. And the mango pineapple relish was the perfect backdrop for the flavors and texture of the Amberjack. It was served on a bed of rice and accompanied by green beans sauteed lightly with garlic. This was a well conceived and well prepared dish, and my only regret was not being able to accompany it with a glass of good Macon-Villages wine (the 2010 Louis Jadot would have been perfect).

The owners of Full City, Keith and Lisa Langdon, are both chefs who are frequently invited to prepare a dish at the annual Great Chefs of Kalamazoo dinner. They obviously love food in the same way I do. Full City is a family restaurant with no frills; but the food is serious enough that I wish I could have some wine to go with it.

• Visited May 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
kaffeenjunkie, Owner at Full City Cafe, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Working hard to be number one! Glad you enjoyed the meal.
Thanks for the wonderful review.
Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States
“Always Fresh Always good”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

It's our go-to place for breakfast lunch or dinner, everything's consistently fresh and creative

Visited April 2012
kaffeenjunkie, Owner at Full City Cafe, responded to this review, May 9, 2012
Thanks for the kind words!!
Paw Paw, Michigan
“Tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

Good for a lunch during the work-week. Good menu options. Service was not stellar, just ok.

Kalamazoo
“Not enough attention to details”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

Quiche served lukewarm, tough crust. Fruit cup brimming with unripe fruit. Good muffin. Overpriced breakfast. Not sure why they don't pay attention to the serving temperature or fruit ripeness.

• 1 of 5 bubbles