“Overnight Visits - Before & After Amtrak Train to Chicago”

Fairfield Inn by Marriott Port Huron
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Port Huron
Ontario
“Overnight Visits - Before & After Amtrak Train to Chicago”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Clean comfortable room at a reasonable rate with breakfast included. Indoor pool. Many restaurant options within easy drive.

Staff were friendly and helpful with directions.

Amtrak Station is eight minutes away. Train leaves at 6:00 AM and hotel staff insured coffee and muffins were available for those getting up early to take the train.

Room Tip: One elevator, three floors. Third floor was quieter as no floor above.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carefree2008

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Michigan
Reviewed May 25, 2013

First of all, this is a long over due review (based on my stay there quite a while back in August 2012); obviously life has been less hectic for me recently so I'm picking up some stuff!

My family stayed here 1 night on our way driving to Toronto. We generally stay at the full service Marriott properties but unfortunately there is no full service ones in this area so I chose this one based on the good reviews on tripadvisor. To be fair, I would never compare this hotel to a JW Marriott or Ritz Carlton, but it is fine if you just want a place to sleep. And I think what is more impressive is the service at this hotel - everyone is very nice and friendly and always try their best to help.

Now let me know you some special experience/story we had- After check-in, we decided to go to red lobster for dinner. I had a GPS but it ever failed us twice before, so I got the habit of double checking maps online before going to a new place just to make sure. Weirdly enough, the wi fi internet (free) stopped working minutes after I got online; so I called the front desk and was told that they would reset the network. After waiting for more than 15 minutes the service didn't restore and the kids became impatient since they were hungry. So we decided to just rely on the GPS - You know what? The GPS (Garmin 265w in case you wonder; and since then I really started boycotting Garmin) led us on the bridge to Canada! What is worse is that you can't turn back once you are on the bridge. And the worst thing is that we didn't bring our passport! (but who would when going to dinner!). So we got trapped at the Canadian immigration office for more than 2 hours! (actually I was surprised at how many people got trapped there! BTW, those Canadian officers don't seem nice at all - I didn't see anyone EVER smiled while waiting the two hours there!) It was already past 10pm when I got back the hotel, being so frustrated, we wanted to watch some TV for relaxing, then the TV didn't work - called the front desk who sent some staff and fixed it. The 2nd day before checking out, I wrote to the hotel manager Debbie Peeling (got the card from the front desk) regarding my experience - it was a Sunday and she was not on duty so I would never expect any response the same day but surprisngly right after I checked into the Marriott in Toronto, I noticed her response email - appolizing for the inconvenience and offered some compensation. I was very impressed with the service and efficiency, especially during after hours. One thing I feel is that, no matter how good/solid a hotel is, nobody can guarantee you never have any issue; the most important thing is, how the staff would resolve the issues when they arise.

Room Tip: Be careful NOT to get on the bridge to Canada if you are driving and not familiar with the area!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank cmxpek
Reviewed April 2, 2013

The hotel was sure nothing to look at on the outside, older, in front of another hotel. The breakfast was quite good w/Jimmy Dean egg/cheese sandwiches, fruit, made to order waffles, and muffins, and cereals. The biggest downfall was the space provided for dining. Very limited and crowded. Had to wait for a table, then shared w/another couple. No coke machines on the floors, have to use the mini convenience area in the lobby along w/internet connection. Room was small but very clean. Toilet was plugged, but they fixed that while we were out. Not close to restaurants or much except the liquor store and the bridge to Canada is right at this exit.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank 667ate
Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

Very fair prices, clean and neat. A bit out dated, but clean. Loved the beds and crisp white linens. Slept great, stayed 3 nights. Small breakfast area, limited choices. Nice pool. Room was spacious. Easy road access, convenient with lots of restaurants and shopping not too far away.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank MeggersB
Michigan
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for a hockey tournament. It was basic and easy for what we needed. The staff was always helpful & friendly. Our rollaway was waiting in our room upon arrival. We had a basic 2 double room. Comfortable beds, clean rooms, nice tub/shower. Climate was a little finicky, but overall fine for being the dated window fan. Pool area was nice. There is a Cracker Barrel & bob Evans close by. Hotel offers menus for food delivery too.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Jessica F
Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed December 28, 2012

We arrived at 2 AM, exhausted, and were greeted by one of the most pleasant people we've encountered. She welcomed us enthusiastically, made sure we had everything we needed, and went out of her way to make our stay a good one. The room was extremely comfortable, the bed just what our tired bodies needed after a long drive. We awoke to a very nice breakfast and morning staff who were friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank K S
Midland, Canada
Reviewed November 16, 2012

booked online a king and a sofa bed for 4 people, but when we arrived and went to our room, lo and behold it was only one king bed for the 4 of us. I went back down to the desk thinking she had given me the wrong room- nope, that is what was on her screen, but I showed her my paper copy with a confirmation number for a king and sofa bed, she said sorry we are all booked up. So 2 of us had to sleep on lumpy cots designed for a child.
I sent an email to the hotel asking how this happens- no response.
Guess what, that was the last time I will stay there and will make sure I don't recommend this hotel to friends.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends