“caution”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Port Huron
Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Port Huron
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Nice remodel but the food service is extremely slow. This property is fomerly the Thomas Edison Inn. It is a total remake and it looks great. The food service is very poor. Plan on a long wait and bland food. The macaroni & cheese is good. Many of the locals have stopped coming until the service in the restaurant improves.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Amber B, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Port Huron, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Thank you for your review of the DoubleTree by Hilton - Port Huron. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the changes of the hotel. I am truly sorry to hear about the poor service that you experienced at Freighters. I will be sharing your experience with the management team at the hotel and restaurant and I want to assure that issue of the poor service will be discussed. The restaurant does over 1,000 people a night and is very busy, creating a wait time. I hope that you will come back to the DoubleTree again and dine at Freighters in the future.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Beautiful new facility. Hotel and restaurant are very nice. View of the water and ships passing by is the best in the States. Access to Canada is close if you have an interest visiting for a short side trip.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton
Amber B, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Port Huron, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Thank you for your review! The DoubleTree by Hilton – Port Huron has great views of the St. Clair River and Canada. I am happy to hear that you had a wonderful time at the hotel. We look forward to you staying with us again and welcoming you back with a warm DoubleTree cookie!

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed here on business. I have zero complaints for my one night stay!

I was greeted kindly by the young lady at the front desk. She processed my stay quickly, was overly polite as they all are required to be, and donated the double tree cookie to my belly. Yum!

My room was very neat and clean. The room feels very modern. I chose a single king bed on the second floor. The room is VERY spacious. The TV is new and shiny. They could have used an over head light in the middle of the room but there are plenty of lamps throughout the room the light it. The bathrooms are very very nice. The shower head is a bit low if I was going to critique anything. The room also has a mini fridge which is great! There is also a microwave for those healthy frozen veggie meals we all love.

The restaurant is great. Very large with a nice bar. They have two happy hours with great ap and drink specials. They had a nice selection of micro brews on tap for beer lovers like myself. I ordered the wings and a drink. The wings were a little slim but for their price they were reasonable. I look forward to going back there for lunch tomorrow and trying something else.

I used the gym as well. The gym is literally nicer than the small one I go to at home. The equipment is new and they have everything a amateur lifter or runner could want. There is also a adequate sized pool and hot tub which I didnt get a chance to use.

Overall really great! They are renovating/working on the restaurant still. The location is great. It is a bit noisy sometimes with the bridge almost on top of the place but they've done a good job with noise control. Perhaps just a bit pricey after considering everything. Id have felt better if the price was closer to $99/night.

Room Tip: The king bed rooms have a ton of extra space if you like to have more floor or sitting space.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review! I am happy to hear that you enjoyed the renovations and I appreciate your suggestions for improvement. I will be sharing your recommendation about the shower heads in the bathroom with our management team. Freighters have a great menu selection and there are plenty of options to choose from. Hopefully, you will be able to come back soon and enjoy some micro brews.

Reviewed October 28, 2013

I would recommend this property. Room, pool and meeting room were excellent. The restaurant buffet for $10 was not up to par on the day we were there but the menu selections were good for breakfast. The views are amazing and staff very friendly. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for your recommendation of the DoubleTree by Hilton – Port Huron. We appreciate your insight and we look forward to having you stay with us again!

Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and I stayed at the DoubleTree Port Huron hotel in October 2013. The hotel is located right on the St. Clair River (which makes up the border between Canada and the USA in Port Huron, MI), and overlooks the Blue Water Bridge that connects Canada with the USA.

The DoubleTree is an excellent hotel. We stayed on the 3rd Floor (there are a maximum of 3 floors on the property) in a King Suite. The room had a balcony with a view of the St. Clair River and the Blue Water Bridge (the balcony had 2 chairs on it, and was very nice -- though we did not use it much due to the cold weather in Port Huron during our stay).

The room was large, with a good LG big screen television, a very comfortable King-size bed, and a spacious bathroom. The shower head is similar to hotels in Europe -- being that it is located very low in height, and being 6' myself I had to bend down to get under the head. Despite this, the room is perfect.

The restaurant -- Freighter's Eatery -- is located within the Hotel, and is very large and nice, with reasonable prices. I had ordered a campside cheesecake slice (which is basically a smores cheesecake slice) for my wife while she was in the room, and Freighter's prepared it instantly (despite how busy they were and the lines of people at the time -- around 7:00PM), and delivered to our room. I also want to thank Raven at the front desk who worked with Freighters to get the cheesecake up to the room promptly. Thank you all so much!

The giftshop of the hotel is very nice as well, and fairly cheap. The giftshop does close fairly early (it seems after 9:00PM), so make sure if you want to visit to do so as early as possible.

The next time we visit Port Huron we would definitely stay at the DoubleTree again. Thank you for such a wonderful visit!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your wonderful review. I am very happy to hear that you had a wonderful stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton - Port Huron! The campside cheesecake is a great selection at Freighters Eatery and Taproom. We look forward to you staying with us again and welcoming you back with a warm DoubleTree cookie.

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

This was an excellent experience from check in with the warm chocolate chip cookies until checkout! Great hotel newly renovated well appointed rooms with a great view of the bridge. The bed was comfy, the towels were big and fluffy, and every request we had was honored. This place was really affordable especially for the quality. I can't say enough good things!!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Amber B, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Port Huron, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2013

Thank you for recently staying with us. We appreciate your feedback about the renovations and our staff members. We look forward to having you stay with us again!

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Everything was great. During checkin we requested a room change so that our rooms were adjoining. Our request was granted promptly. The rooms were very clean and the view from our balcony was amazing. We loved sitting iut and watching the boats go by on the river.

The pool is excellent. The hot tub was a little too hot for our liking.

The restaurant freighters is very good. The food is excellent and very well priced. It is a good value. The mashed potatoes were the best I have ever had at a hotel. The breakfast buffet has a good selection of hot and cold items. The only thing I would say is that the supper hour is very busy. Service was good despite that we had to wait for a table several times. rooms were rooms were a join were joining. Our request was granted quickly

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for staying at the DoubleTree by Hilton – Port Huron. We greatly appreciate your feedback. The menu at Freighters is great and offers a wide variety of options. I personally enjoy the mashed potatoes as well. We look forward to welcoming you back again, and the next time that you eat at Freighters you should try some ranch with the mashed potatoes!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Port Huron
Fairfield Inn by Marriott Port Huron
1 mi away
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Port Huron
Hampton Inn by Hilton Sarnia/Point Edward

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Port Huron? Share your experiences!