“Michigan's Oldest Lighthouse”

Fort Gratiot Lighthouse
Ranked #2 of 25 things to do in Port Huron
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: The Fort Gratiot Light Station is the oldest lighthouse in Michigan, 2nd oldest on the Great Lakes. The current tower was erected in 1829 and has helped guide mariners and ships for over 187 years between Lake Huron and the St. Clair River. Deeded to St. Clair County Parks & Recreation Commission in 2011, this 5 acre campus has already seen restoration of several of the seven buildings on site, with more improvements planned every year. The Port Huron Museum operates the activities at the site. Various programs include "Overnight at the Light, where groups of 20 - 40 people can spend the night in the remodeled, 1872 Duplex. A beautiful gift shop, guided tours for only $7.00, spacious grounds, programming and exhibits go on throughout the season (May - December). Also available for special events: weddings , reunions, parties and professional & social events. OPEN: Now through November 13,2016: Sat./Sun. only, 11 am - 5 pm November 19 - December 18, 2016: Sat. 11 am - 8 pm for Candlelight Tours;Sundays 11 am - 5 pm December 27-29, 2016 11 am - 5 pm December 30: CLOSED UNTIL MAY 4, 2017, except for special events and Overnights. Looking forward to welcoming you!
Lansing, Michigan
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Michigan's Oldest Lighthouse”
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This lighthouse was recently opened to the public (May 2012) and there has been a lot of great work done. I am an avid lighthouse visitor and it was great to be able to explore the grounds and buildings of this important part of Michigan history. I was traveling the Lake Huron coast this Labor Day weekend with a friend and this was our last stop of the day. Great views of the water and bridge to Canada from the grounds. I paid the $7 to take the tour. It was a large group and I wasn't very impressed with the volunteer who led our group - it seemed to take a long time without a lot of new information for me. The tour takes you inside the dwelling which is very modernized and can be rented out for stay (lots of bunk beds mostly used by boy scout and girl scout groups). The best part of the tour was being able to climb the tower. A staff member leads the way up the stairs and you must wear tennis shoes/closed toed shoes to go up. Amazing views from the top as always. The staff member (different person than who led the tour) was very nice, answered all my questions and even offered to take my picture (my friend did not want to go on the tour with me).
There is still more to be restored at this site but they have already done amazing work. I must see if you are in the area - just down the road from the historic Huron Lightship.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Schmeminemone

• Korean first
SIDNEY
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Location!”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

This was my first visit to this area, and a trip to the lighthouse was a must. The location is surprising, as it is at the edge of a larger city, but it still manages the "remote" look and feel. Though I didn't take the tour, the scenery is great, even from the ground.
The lighthouse stands guard very stately, greeting Americans and Canadians equally.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank vicwerts
Livonia, Michigan
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Fun for the whole family”
Reviewed August 25, 2013

My kids loved learning the history of the lighthouse during the tour and climbing to the top. Gorgeous view.

Visited August 2013
Shelby Township, Michigan
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Fun at the lighthouse”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This is the 2nd time we have been to this lighthouse. This time we were able to climb up into it. The tour guide (Jack) was very, very good and told us some very interesting stories and history. Make sure you don't have sandals or open toe shoes on if you want to climb up into the lighthouse. Had a nice day..topped off by relaxing at the beach.

Visited August 2013
Springfield, Missouri
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Beautiful Location - Great Volunteers”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I was very impressed by this attraction. I knew that we could climb the lighthouse, but I was not expecting the excellent tour that was given by Dennis, one of the volunteers there. I have a much greater understanding of the history of Fort Gratiot lighthouse because of the tour. The climb to the top is great, especially when it is windy. This is a lighthouse where you go outside to a walkway at the top - not my favorite because of the height. Still, it provided unbelievable views of Lake Huron and the Blue Water Bridge. When you go, make sure you take the time to go through the tour - you won't be disappointed.

Visited July 2013