“Fine dining?”

The Bank 1884 Food & Spirits
Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Port Austin
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: The Bank 1884 Food & Spirits has been serving local residents and Port Austin area tourists alike with fine foods and service since 1984. Our staff concentrates on making every guest's dining experience one to be remembered. We are a state and national historic site, and have won praise from The Detroit Free Press and The New York Times. Our menu includes traditional American dishes such as prime rib, filet mignon, chicken wellington, deep fried shrimp, and more. We invite you to savor your favorite dish and enjoy a refreshing drink from our selection of imported beer, wine, and spirits. Visit our website for more information. We look forward to serving you at The Bank 1884!
Warren
“Fine dining?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

My husband and I ate lunch on July 24, 2013 . We had been here a couple of times before and liked the food and ambiance but was very disappointed this time. I ordered their signature salad but it was a below average salad. Very small and sparse. My husband ordered the fish and chips at $14 and when the plate came, I thought it was a joke. The perch strips were very small as well as the portion of them. Two thirds of the plate were frozen french fry wedges, not even homemade. This will be our last time dining at this historic restaurant.

1 Thank clover624

mi
“Good not great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

We sat outside it was nice and our waitress was very friendly we both had a burger and a beer it was good but not great.

• Visited July 2013
“New management does a wonderful job”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013 via mobile

After reading other reviews my husband and I hesitated dining at The Bank, but after looking at other venues, we decided to give it a chance. We were totally pleased with every facet of our meal. We were greeted by a fun hostess and served by an excellent, charming waitress. She never missed a beat for each course of our meal. AND our water glasses were never empty. Our food was every bit as delicious as upscale restaurants in the Metro Detroit area. Being served on the second floor wasn't a drawback for us. Having the food sent up from the kitchen via dumb waiter added to the charm of this old time brick building.

We would certainly dine at The Bank 1884 again.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Charlieabbey
Worcester, Massachusetts
“Fine dining Port Austin Style”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

This is the only "real" restaurant in town in terms of actually having atmosphere and isn't small town, bring the kids, we'll chow down on the basics. They are the only place that serves wine and liquor that isn't also a dedicated bar like The Landing and Sportsman Inn. (Although they do have one - well stocked by the look of it.) The food is old fashioned in preparation style - lots of sauces - and I haven't seen anyone serve Steak Diane in forever - but it was really well prepared. I had Chicken Wellington, my husband had the whitefish special. Both terrific. Portion size is appropriate for this kind of dining. Salads featured fresh greens and herbs - fantastic dressings. Nice touch with the sour dough bread fresh from the oven.

Our waitress was attentive and was willing to let my 14 year old boys eat off the kids' menu, even though they aren't technically children anymore. They enjoyed their chicken fingers and cheeseburgers while their sister, mom, and dad got a surprisingly good gourmet style dinner.

I'm all for recycling buildings too, and it's a great use of the space. This style and class of dining was missing, and this is a great addition to the choices available in the area.

2 Thank Laurie S
michigan
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent Meal at The Bank”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Yes, the price is on par with what you pay in suburban Detroit, but so is the food. The food is definitely a cut above what you expect in a small town. My broiled Pickeral dinner was easily the best i've ever had. My husband's Prime Rib was cooked exactly as he specified. With dinner you get warm sourdough bread, salad and your choice of potato or vegetable. They made ample use of fresh herbs in both their salad dressing and my fish sauce. The service was top-notch, friendly and efficient. If you want fine dining eat here. If you want a burger or a less then $23 dinner, try your luck elsewhere.

1 Thank whalergirl