“Never again”

The Bank 1884 Food & Spirits
Ranked #3 of 20 Restaurants in Port Austin
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Bank 1884 Food & Spirits has been serving local residents and Port Austin area tourists alike with fine foods and service since 1984. Our staff concentrates on making every guest's dining experience one to be remembered. We are a state and national historic site, and have won praise from The Detroit Free Press and The New York Times. Our menu includes traditional American dishes such as prime rib, filet mignon, chicken wellington, deep fried shrimp, and more. We invite you to savor your favorite dish and enjoy a refreshing drink from our selection of imported beer, wine, and spirits. Visit our website for more information. We look forward to serving you at The Bank 1884!
Reviewed July 7, 2012

I'm not one to complain about this type of thing, but my experience at The Bank was deplorable. Waited an hour and a half for two burgers that were burnt, cold and tasted microwaved. Barely saw our waitress. Would never step foot in there again. Everyone else around us walked out as well.

3  Thank Kelsey008

Reviewed June 17, 2012

Try this place. Was orig an old bank turned Restaruant. Great food and also great place to sit at bar and have glass of wine. Love the old time charm here!!

1  Thank LLA1962
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Enjoyable menu. Unfortunately they are only open seasonally.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

Last night my partner and I visited The Bank 1884 for the first time. We absolutely loved the building and the ambiance inside. We were greeted promptly and waited on quickly. I was impressed with the wine list, bar menu and beer selection on tap. I had the prime rib with sugar snap peas, while my partner had the Chicken Wellington with red potatoes. We also each had the special house salad. Overall, we liked the food and will definitely eat there again. However, there are a few aspects of the dinner that I didn't like. First, I found the service to be a bit over-bearing. The server had obviously worked at the restaurant for a while and that came across in her spiel, but not in a good way. Everything she said seemed as if it were rehearsed from a script, including the jokes, which I heard her make with other people at other tables. And there were constantly bussers removing plates and glasses, which is great, but instead of just removing empty dishes, we were constantly being asked if they could remove them. It got to be rather annoying. I agree with others that the bread was good, but it was served with a tiny little steak knife that did not go across the entire loaf, so we were constantly mangling the bread trying to cut it. Additionally, I did not like the way that the house salad was sold. Instead of putting it on the menu and saying how much it was, the server gave us a hard sell on it, telling us how wonderful it was and that it could be added to our meal for an "up-charge" which she never specified. (In the end, it was $2 extra per person, which I was totally okay with.) I really was not a big fan of the table-side mixing of the salad. It felt very old-fashioned and artificial. I don't need to see my salad being made, really. Then the side dishes were literally just that, small little dishes of peas and potatoes which had to be pushed out of the way for our large dinner plates. My peas were good, and I thought very seasonally appropriate, but my partner's red potatoes and butter were just three tiny whole red potatoes on a plate. There was nothing special about them in the slightest and they could have been served on the plate with his Chicken Wellington. Contrary to what others have posted, my partner enjoyed the Chicken Wellington. (I tasted it as well and liked it.)

Like I said, I did enjoy it overall and will happily return, but for a place that is trying to be a little more up-scale, I would expect the service to be a bit more fine-tuned.

Reviewed April 24, 2012

Higher end in small town with tremendous menu, uses local food when possible
Excellent service