“comfortable, but no frills or thrills”

Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pontiac
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I frequently (once a month) stay at this place, primarily for business reasons. It is a comfortable hotel, and the staff is extremely attentive. But over time, it had deteriorated in terms of decor and amenities. There is a workout room, but at least one of the pieces of equipment isn't working any time I'm there. The ice machines on various floors are broken, and you will need to search on different floors for one that works. The carpets everywhere are worn, and the furnishings (chairs, sofas, etc.) are dated and worn. Bedding is good and pillows are usually comfortable.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank findlaya
Silviya S, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review for us. I appreciate your comments about our team. That was very nice of you. I also appreciate the honest feedback. Recently, we've had challenges in our maintenance department and not everything is up to standard. We are currently working to get the hotel's condition improved so I hope that you will like the changes we are trying to implement. Thank you!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were dissappointed because we were told that the room would have a jacuzzi tub. When we arrived at the hotel we found out that there were very few jacuzzi suites. There would have been a huge price difference. We were looking for a romantic weekend getaway. There were no perks: no jacuzzi, champagne, chocolates. Just a room with a bed and a tv.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank captainp2003
Reviewed October 14, 2012 via mobile

I used Priceline to book a hotel that was in an area close to The Palace of Auburn Hills. This Courtyard Marriott was chosen for us based on a 3 star rating (Priceline) & our price negotiation. Based on the price we paid for that evening, I would rate this hotel as very good. I didn't feel it was a 3 star, but served as a nice, seemingly safe place to stay for an evening. The staff was friendly & helpful. The lobby/seating area had outdated decor, as did most of the hotel. I requested a room on the 4th floor based on other tripadvisor reviews I had read. We had no problems with noise during our brief stay. When we first entered our room, there was an overwhelming smell of room deodorizer & I initially thought I wouldn't be able to handle that odor. I immediately opened the window & eventually we didn't notice it. I enjoyed a nice, hot bath in the tub. The bathroom itself was bland. The bed was comfortable for me, too soft for my hubby. We didn't try the indoor pool, although it looked nice from the window. We didn't try the breakfast offerings either. Overall, a good experience.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank tlsings
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I staid at the Courtyard by Marriott because, of its proximity to a number of restaurants. First impressions of the hotel were decent. The staff was very helpful. The room is comfortable and there is a small balcony, which was very nice due to the weather. The downsides became apparent when the neighbors arrived. The walls seem to be made of paper, the floors of plywood and the ventilators need new bearings. The latter is especially annoying when the neighbor goes to the bathroom several times during the night.

Still, out of the options I had I would probably stay at this hotel again, but I'd bring earplugs.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor so you don't hear your upstairs neighbors walking around.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank VisaCollector
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have stayed at many Marriott properties but this one just didn't live up to the standard I have grown to expect from Marriott. The room was noisy - the refrigerator woke me up many times, the room smelled (I would have through it was a smoking room if the hotel wasn't "smoke free"). The plug in the bathtub didn't work so I didn't even get to take a bath I had looked forward to all day. I would not recommend this hotel if one was paying full price.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Hotel was nice, rooms clean. Only disappointment was the check in process. Check in is at 3:00 pm, when we arrived just after 4:00, we were told that it would be at least a half hour before our room was ready. Usually no big deal, however we had planned on having enough time to get ready for our evening out. After waiting and finally getting our rooms, we were extremely rushed to make our reservations. The only other issue was the outlet in our room was missing a cover plate(room 428), which could be dangerous for little kids. We forgot to mention it to the staff, so hopefully they will read this and correct it. Also it would be nice if they include a free continental breakfast like most other hotels in this category.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Overall, the Courtyard Marriott – Detroit Pontiac/Bloomfield is as you would expect. It is a family hotel that has the basic requirements for a night’s rest. There are no bells and whistles here. The hotel is generally clean and is presentable upon entry.

Service was done with a smile and even when there were problems. When I was checking in, the gentleman in front of me had a complaint about his room and the girl behind the counter was smiling and courteous in handling the situation. She was also apologetic and offered compensation for his trouble.

The rooms are OK. They are clean, but the layout is strange in terms of how the TV and bed is positioned. The TV is placed on the side, so you cannot watch TV leaning against the wall without looking to the side. It was not the fact that the bed MUST be placed in this position, they just put it there. The bed could have easily been placed against the other wall, so that you can watch TV sitting up straight on the bed and not having to turn to the side. But this really is minor.

In terms of the overall hotel, I find that it is missing the little things. For instance, the front door does not have any automatic door open. I find this strange, not only because it does not lead to proper handicapped access, but when you are bringing in more than a couple of pieces of luggage, an automatic door really comes in handy.

I needed a couple of envelopes and so I asked the front desk. They actually did not have any regular sized envelopes, only small sized ones. It is just strange how a hotel can run out of stamped envelopes, since I see guests asking to have their receipt put into an envelope so it is not just a loose piece of paper.

One final point I came across is during check in. I had some packages delivered to the hotel ahead of time. When I checked in, there was no flag on check-in that I had packages waiting. I made the inquiry upon check in.

Again, these are nothing major. I would expect the little things from a Sheraton or full Marriott, but when it is a Courtyard, I don’t expect this, but thought I would put these points down so that you know what to expect staying here.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank toram23901
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontiac
Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac
Hampton Inn Detroit/Auburn Hills South
Courtyard Detroit Auburn Hills
Courtyard Detroit Auburn Hills
#11 of 17 in Auburn Hills

Been to Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills? Share your experiences!