“Nice hotel, but noisy”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Pontiac
Utrecht
“Nice hotel, but noisy”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I staid at the Courtyard by Marriott because, of its proximity to a number of restaurants. First impressions of the hotel were decent. The staff was very helpful. The room is comfortable and there is a small balcony, which was very nice due to the weather. The downsides became apparent when the neighbors arrived. The walls seem to be made of paper, the floors of plywood and the ventilators need new bearings. The latter is especially annoying when the neighbor goes to the bathroom several times during the night.

Still, out of the options I had I would probably stay at this hotel again, but I'd bring earplugs.

Room Tip: Stay on the top floor so you don't hear your upstairs neighbors walking around.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank VisaCollector

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed August 31, 2012

I have stayed at many Marriott properties but this one just didn't live up to the standard I have grown to expect from Marriott. The room was noisy - the refrigerator woke me up many times, the room smelled (I would have through it was a smoking room if the hotel wasn't "smoke free"). The plug in the bathtub didn't work so I didn't even get to take a bath I had looked forward to all day. I would not recommend this hotel if one was paying full price.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Pontiac hotels

Dundee, Michigan
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Hotel was nice, rooms clean. Only disappointment was the check in process. Check in is at 3:00 pm, when we arrived just after 4:00, we were told that it would be at least a half hour before our room was ready. Usually no big deal, however we had planned on having enough time to get ready for our evening out. After waiting and finally getting our rooms, we were extremely rushed to make our reservations. The only other issue was the outlet in our room was missing a cover plate(room 428), which could be dangerous for little kids. We forgot to mention it to the staff, so hopefully they will read this and correct it. Also it would be nice if they include a free continental breakfast like most other hotels in this category.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2012

Overall, the Courtyard Marriott – Detroit Pontiac/Bloomfield is as you would expect. It is a family hotel that has the basic requirements for a night’s rest. There are no bells and whistles here. The hotel is generally clean and is presentable upon entry.

Service was done with a smile and even when there were problems. When I was checking in, the gentleman in front of me had a complaint about his room and the girl behind the counter was smiling and courteous in handling the situation. She was also apologetic and offered compensation for his trouble.

The rooms are OK. They are clean, but the layout is strange in terms of how the TV and bed is positioned. The TV is placed on the side, so you cannot watch TV leaning against the wall without looking to the side. It was not the fact that the bed MUST be placed in this position, they just put it there. The bed could have easily been placed against the other wall, so that you can watch TV sitting up straight on the bed and not having to turn to the side. But this really is minor.

In terms of the overall hotel, I find that it is missing the little things. For instance, the front door does not have any automatic door open. I find this strange, not only because it does not lead to proper handicapped access, but when you are bringing in more than a couple of pieces of luggage, an automatic door really comes in handy.

I needed a couple of envelopes and so I asked the front desk. They actually did not have any regular sized envelopes, only small sized ones. It is just strange how a hotel can run out of stamped envelopes, since I see guests asking to have their receipt put into an envelope so it is not just a loose piece of paper.

One final point I came across is during check in. I had some packages delivered to the hotel ahead of time. When I checked in, there was no flag on check-in that I had packages waiting. I made the inquiry upon check in.

Again, these are nothing major. I would expect the little things from a Sheraton or full Marriott, but when it is a Courtyard, I don’t expect this, but thought I would put these points down so that you know what to expect staying here.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank toram23901
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a family function. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were unremarkable, but other than poor lighting we had no complaints. Breakfast was not included in the hotel rate but was available in the lobby for a small price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Allen_1961
, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this review, June 21, 2012
Thank you for your response. I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us! Take care!
Belle River, Ontario, CAN
Reviewed April 23, 2012

If I hadn't of received a fantastic deal through Priceline on this hotel I would have been very disappointed. Although, I don't understand how Priceline came up with a 3 star rating for this hotel. It is run down, the decor needs updating, rooms are very small, furniture is seriously really ugly and they didn't provide any shampoo, mouthwash ect. as most 3 star hotels do. It isn't a big deal to me I always bring my own anyway, but just worth mentioning. That being said I would really like to know how hotels get their ratings, because I would rate this one about a 2, if that.

The one item that really stood out to me is how I was woken up in the middle of the night at least 3 times from people getting back to their rooms at the hotel. The walls are EXTREMLY thin and we weren't even by the elevator. We could hear voices in the parking lot, walking down the hall, and anytime someone made the slightest move in the rooms next to us we could hear it. I found that this stood out to me because normally when I stay at hotels I don't remember being disturbed several times, by noise, throughout the night. So if you are after a solid night’s sleep I wouldn't recommend this hotel.

The bed, even though they said it was a King didn't seem like a King size. It wasn't a Queen but it wasn't a King either. I didn't realize that there was a size in-between. Again, not a huge deal for me, but just something that stood out as odd to me. As far as comfort it wasn't awful, but not great either. The sheets were not of the quality of other Marriott brands such as Springhills.

The way the furniture was placed in the room was odd as well. The bed faced the Window, so when you watched TV you had to twist your whole body around and lay on your side to see it. We didn’t like that at all either. Not good at all when my husband and I watched TV before we went to sleep and the next morning.

It is convenient for people traveling because it is right off the highway, so for a quick nights stay it is ideal. However, I would not ever return to this hotel, nor would I recommend it and how it got a 3 star rating from Priceline is beyond me.

Also, I am comparing this hotels with other Marriotts that I have stayed at, within the Michigan/Ohio/Kentucky area. This is not up to par with Marriott standards at all.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SereneMoments
Silviya S, General Manager at Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stay. I agree with you, the hotel is a little tired. My maintenance team and I have been working on refreshing the property. I also wanted to let you know that we had just upgraded our room amenities and now we provide two different kinds of soaps, conditioner, shampoo and lotion in the rooms. The products are by Paul Mitchell and they are very nice!
If you would like to further discuss your stay, you can reach me at 248 858 9595.
Again, thank you for your feedback! I hope you give us another chance next time you are in the Auburn Hills area.
Lakeshore, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for one night. Everything was great. Fast easy check in with friendly staff. The room was clean and comfortable. We got the room for a Saturday night for $40 through Priceline. Can't beat the price. Bed was comfortable. Hotel was quiet all night. Absolutly no complaints. Highly recommended

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank GWing51
Thank you for your feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontiac
Auburn Hills Marriott Pontiac
#3 of 17 in Auburn Hills
Courtyard Detroit Auburn Hills
Courtyard Detroit Auburn Hills
#12 of 17 in Auburn Hills

Been to Courtyard Detroit Pontiac/Auburn Hills? Share your experiences!